Lucas1138

And we haven't even touched upon how awesome Sansa pwning Littlefinger was.

Yeah, there was so much going on here, but I just keep turning back to the last 5 minutes. Will have to get back to the rest of the episode later. There's a ton of excellent stuff to go back over.

Everyone is going to talk about Hodor but the revelation about the origin of the Walkers is the biggest thing that has happened on this show until this point. It's so perfect in so many ways. Men come across the sea and try to wipe the Children off face of earth. The Children in desperation create something that may wipe man off face of earth. You reap what you sow. Just perfect.

Whole episode was amazing, one of the best of the series. Just awesome.

Hold the door. :cry:

God, that's going to be a thing, isn't it?

Actually, Bran had a rather lousy week. Got everyone killed, including Summer (bad season for direwolves) and Hodor.

And we haven't even touched upon how awesome Sansa pwning Littlefinger was.

Yes, she pwned him with such vigor that she was doing exactly what he wanted by the end of the episode, sending away her greatest protection and loyal counsel. Maybe I'm missing something, or she's playing a long game I don't see, but it seems she's still dancing to Littlefinger's tune.

Until proven otherwise, Sansa being a stupid little girl who never learns has been the safe bet.

The last little bit from this conversation is considerably more interesting now:

Me: I finally figured out why you have a character named “Hodor.”

Martin: Oh?

Me: I was thinking about your comment about wanting to be an elevator operator. It’s clear to me now that “Hodor” is short for “Hold the door.”

Martin: (laughing) You don’t know how close to the truth you are!

This season has been incredible. And to think I was worried since there's no book. Not being held down by George Martin might be the best thing that's happened to the show.

I just don't get this. They aren't any more or less free from GRRM than they've ever been.

Last season was the worst (for book readers) because it was written terribly and put characters in situations we didn't like or didn't understand why (it's a little better having S6 at my disposal now, though still mostly bad). It was critically acclaimed and well-received by casual fans, having the highest average ratings of any of the seasons.

They didn't "have to" drag their feet last year. It was a conscious decision to do so. Even what has gone on this year hasn't been fully free of the pages in ASOIAF. There's been (almost) nothing that has happened that hasn't had textual background. Even the "Hodor" explanation came from GRRM itself. They're still very much beholden to him and the source material. They could have started the streamlining much earlier. They should have continued with a near 1:1 adaptation or streamlined earlier. They tried a middle ground last season and it fell flat for a ton of people.

Not that anybody here cares, but I'm done defending this show from people who refuse to acknowledge its existence for whatever reason ("Nothing is ever as good as the books!" "I have a knee-jerk opposition to anything that is loved by mainstream audiences," "I read somewhere that it is super sexist," "Fantasy exists only to make people without imagination feel better." "Blah, blah, blah.").

In the past, if it was somebody I liked, I'd try to gently coax them into giving it a chance, but fuuuuuck, if you're gonna get super annoyed at all the "mindless followers" geeking out on social media and make snarky comments like "Wait, I thought Game of Thrones was fantasy, but you're telling me this is actually some kind of Doctor Who in chain mail you're going on about... ooookay, sounds great lol. :rolleyes: " it's your loss.

Huh. I think this is the first time I've ever been emotionally involved enough in a show to actually be annoyed by the haters. So is this what it feels like being a fanboy?

:eek:

As for the "being free of Martin" stuff I agree with Lucas. I think for the most part the show's quality has very much been in line with the corresponding books they were adapting. A Storm of Swords is the best book in my opinion, then seasons 3 and 4 were the best seasons in my opinion too. Feast and Dance were my least favorite books, season 5 is my least favorite season. We obviously can't compare this season to it's corresponding book, but I'm willing to bet Winds of Winter will be very good.

As a book reader I always felt that adapting books 4 and 5 would be incredibly hard. First off those books just aren't as good, secondly the way they are written doesn't lend itself to being adapted. I think the show did a great job of it overall though. Through 3 books and 4 seasons they were able to stay fairly close to the books. For books 4 and 5, I think they more looked at it and said "ok, we need to get from here to there, how do we do that" and went about it that way rather than a closer adaptation and that was 100% the right choice. And although last season was the least good season the last 3 episodes were flat out awesome. In those 3 episodes were had "Hardhome" we had Cersei's shame walk, Jon being killed, Dany being saved by Drogon from the Dragonpit, Shireen being sacrificed, Brienne killing Stannis, Theon and Sansa escaping. The end of last season was flat out awesome, as good as anything they've done on the show. The showrunners were able to get from here to there and "there" was and is awesome.

Even while saying that the part of the story mostly covered in Feast and Dance and Season 5 is my least favorite part of the show, I never thought it was bad, or anything close to bad. I never felt like the inherent quality of the show had fallen off. I never felt "oh geez, this is off the rails." I simply felt that part of the story was not the best part of the story. Every story has parts that are better than others. Last seasons for the most part was not the best part of the story, but it wasn;t bad and the end of the season was fantastic. The show's "fall off" was really only a few episodes in the middle of the season.

The whole series is like being on a road trip, you are flying along for hours, making great time. Then you hit a bit of a traffic jam, but it was unavoidable. But the traffic jam only lasted a short bit and then you were on your way going 80 again with the wind in your hair.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.