Aftermath

Good God a Bear

I'm assuming so. I picked it up yesterday out of curiosity amid picking up a few of the figures. It'll be my next read once I finally get around to finishing Kavalier and Clay. I've read a mixture of reviews for it based on a combination of the writing style and (presumably) expectations for it to completely set the stage for TFA, or at least be different from what it is.

Guest Bridgewife

I just checked out the Amazon reviews - it's pretty much bad all around. I'm very very particular about my author's writing styles, I do not think I would like this book.

I'm listening to the audiobook, which I'm thinking probably makes it better. Plus I'm more interested in what it's telling me about the state of the galaxy than the story, which I'm assuming is crap.

I also expect that it won't really involve any of the big three, which I think is a big point for a lot of people, but seems intentional. It makes more sense for TFA to fill in what's going on and then the books to fill in gaps.

I just checked out the Amazon reviews - it's pretty much bad all around. I'm very very particular about my author's writing styles, I do not think I would like this book.

This is actually more because of the people writing the reviews rather than the book itself. It's from psycho expanded universe lovers who can't get over the fact that their precious Star Wars has been altered. It's an organized effort. Mara was telling me about it on twitter yesterday.

And even so - I'm with Fozzie - I'm more interested in the state of the galaxy right now than whatever actual story is being told in the book at the moment.

Uh, I could care less about the EU being tossed aside and I think the book is horribly written and the story boring.

Before it was released it was billed as a book that picks up after ROTJ. Which to me meant you would still be following the main players of the Rebel Alliance and what was left of the Empire. Not necessarily the BIg 3 but at least someone of high importance.

Instead you get a story of people on some planet who are trying to figure out what is going on with a gathering of Imperials on the planet. The state of the galaxy...left to occasional 'Interludes' scattered throughout the book.

I think I'm just going to skip all the chapters and search for the Interludes about the state of the galaxy after and anything having to do with that and not the crappy story they are trying to set up in the rest of the book.

This is actually more because of the people writing the reviews rather than the book itself. It's from psycho expanded universe lovers who can't get over the fact that their precious Star Wars has been altered. It's an organized effort. Mara was telling me about it on twitter yesterday.

And even so - I'm with Fozzie - I'm more interested in the state of the galaxy right now than whatever actual story is being told in the book at the moment.

Don't forget the gay thing! God forbid there be gay characters in books.

Finished Aftermath last night. I really liked it, and I can't wait for the rest of the trilogy. Wendig has a very particular writing style that turns people off. I got used to it very quickly (I read some of his other books before Aftermath), but he's a great storyteller. And the end...gah! I wish I'd finished the book BEFORE his panel at Dragon Con because I have so many questions now.

If you want to know the state of the galaxy post-Jedi, Aftermath does a good job setting the stage for that.

I just saw io9 had a long article collecting all the NuEU stuff to explain the state of the galaxy leading up to TFA. I started to read it and got SO annoyed.

And I already hate it. Not for the content, or the quality. I just don't like that it exists.

Bombastic myths are not the same kind of story as detailed genre novels. Minute details ruin mysticism.

I get it, some people love Star Wars so much that they need more of it. And branded franchise gotta make money.

But I'm already feeling like these uneeded stories are making TFA seem dumber than it is and I haven't seen it or read any of them!

I've attacked the EU for various reasons, but now I have a new one.

But...the biggest complaint I've heard (other than the whole BRING BACK LEGENDS and anti-gay people) is that Aftermath DOESN'T give a bunch of information about the galaxy in TFA. I mean, the second and third books won't be out until before Episode VIII, so it's not like we're going to know every little thing about the galaxy. At most, we know what happened immediately after RotJ.

I honestly don't get the hate you have for the EU. I mean, hate the quality, sure, but just hating that something exists? To me that's just as bad as the crazy Bring Back Legends folks. I don't like video games and comics, so I ignore them. It's pretty simple.

But then again, I'm the one with a dream to one day write a Star Wars book.

Yeah I mean my only issue with the EU was the overall quality. And even that varied. There were well written stories I enjoyed. But hating it for existing is a little out there. However, I do get what Driver is saying about myths. If we knew intimate details of how magic worked in Wizard of Oz that would be stupid. So would a 19 generation geneology of the royal figures in Snow White.

There are some stories I hate, like Mortis, because of that reason. They explain too much. I think in general some EU fans can be WAY too devoted to detail. They want to know HOW and WHY everything happened, instead of just getting a good story. (Which is why I think a lot of people didn't enjoy Aftermath.)

BUT, I ignore all those stories, and roll my eyes, but I can still enjoy the rest.

When you ADVERTISE a book as 'what happened after ROTJ' then yes, you do sort of expect some explanation of the events after and not some crappy story about some Imperials meeting on a planet.

And the 'Interludes' that pop in and out in between chapters that jump to other unknown characters that you only read about in that one chapter is stupid. Now maybe this will change in later chapters/books who knows. Maybe they will come back around. But so far this book is horrible.

And for the record I don't care about the gay thing or that the EU was done away with. However, his writing style is a big pile of shit.

The author, even if it's just a few sentences in the comments section, reads exactly how I'd imagine Thomas Kinkade on a unicycle with a megaphone. Writing stuff. It's kinda weird.

Even so, was debating between starting Aftermath or The Dog Stars today, and expected the io9 article to push me in a SW direction -- but it did the opposite. Not cause anything sounded so very, very bad, just cause nothing in there intrigued me. That said, until I read it, can't say if this is a sign of weak story and characters or just a symptom of the generalized disinterest in SW I've developed over the last decade or so.

Unless somebody I trust tells me Aftermath has absolutely no redeeming qualities, I'll probably give it a read after The Dog Stars, cause in the end I always give SW my money, BUT I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.