Aftermath

Good God a Bear

My problem with what I read of Aftermath wasn't the writing style, I've read stuff that's certainly more awkward. It was just that everything in it feels so pointless.

It starts with Wedge on a covert mission that reminded me of some of the old Legends stuff, which was kind of a bait and switch because he becomes virtually insignificant as the book went on. Instead we get various insignificant background players that the book nearly pleads for us to care about. I don't. I get that it's trying to give an overview of the new state of the Galaxy from their perspective. But that goal is just going to fail when it does so through paper thin characters who I have no investment in when it comes to their fate.

I'm listening to the audiobook, which covers a lot of bad writing because it's more like an audioplay, but I think the biggest issues are:

Wedge shouldn't have been included

The interludes should have been left out

I'm okay with finding out about the galaxy from the POV of normal people, and not a macro view, so that's fine, but it's really uneven and the Wedge stuff doesn't even make sense or connect to anything yet, and I'm a decent way through.

The writing style is just too jarring for me. Th present tense prose bothers me, although I can get past that, but the endless sentence fragments, inconsistent name spellings, mixed and/or unclear perspectives are what's killing it for me--if there's an enjoyable story in here, I am having trouble finding it under all of this crap because the intellectual side of my brain is just so put off by it all. It reads like a series of blurbs versus an actual narrative.

I've gotten further in and it just keeps getting worse and harder to follow.

Something is happening, and then suddenly, with no transition you're in the middle of something completely different. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to finish it.

If you're going to hit the reset button, why not try to at least get some good stuff out of the gate?

Yeah, I'm gonna stop with it before I just decide I don't want to see TFA.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.