Star Wars Social Experiment

Driver

Whenever the topic of Star Wars comes up, people have two reactions. A. They have never seen it or B. They liked the old ones but either didn't see or enjoy the new ones. Overtime, myself included, I have noticed more Star Wars fans are expressing a higher level of disinterest in the PT. I recently rewatched the PT and they just don't hold up (RotS) does...but marginally.

Whenever the topic of Star Wars comes up, people have two reactions. A. They have never seen it or B. They liked the old ones but either didn't see or enjoy the new ones. Overtime, myself included, I have noticed more Star Wars fans are expressing a higher level of disinterest in the PT. I recently rewatched the PT and they just don't hold up (RotS) does...but marginally.

This. I've got a some friends, a couple of coworkers, and a few family members who like star wars to varying degrees. All like the originals, and the median opinion is that the prequels aren't very good, but are at least a little bit enjoyable. Ironically, the more passionate the fan, the more negative the opinion is held of the prequels.

Same here. Mostly disappointment is the conclusion of my polled friends. The idea of the PT was great, the music was good, and the visuals were interesting. But the stories sucked.

Except for my wife, who holds the prequels in such contempt that she ignored their existence in our house. She has bought the prequels DVDs for me more than once, because she forgot that we already had them. And she wasn't even that big a fan of the original trilogy, indifferent to them at worst, and she used to like ESB. Now she won't watch any of them. Go figure.

Despite my earlier comments about the validity of asking our friends and/or coworkers bout this, it would be interesting to see how my colleagues at work feel about the prequels and SW, in general. I think I'd get a mixture of either vague liking of the originals or overall disinterest, with some scattered people perhaps really liking it. For scientific accuracy, if nothing else, I imagine more people in my department would probably have fonder recollections of Star Trek. It probably also would have to do with age. Many of my colleagues were already adults by the time SW hit (Hell, a good number of them had their PhDs before I was even born), so they didn't grow up with it like the younger of us did.

Separately from this, our office manager brought up in conversation the other day that she had never seen any of the movies. It still amazes me when I hear that just because of the pop culture presence of the originals.

This. I've got a some friends, a couple of coworkers, and a few family members who like star wars to varying degrees. All like the originals, and the median opinion is that the prequels aren't very good, but are at least a little bit enjoyable. Ironically, the more passionate the fan, the more negative the opinion is held of the prequels.

I agree up to that last sentence. I would say the more passionate the fan, the more passionate the feelings of the PT are (one way or the other). Myself, I don't know if i would consider myself passionate (posting on a SW message board for nearly 20 years might show otherwise), but my feelings towards the PT is disinterest. To me, the PT comes off as a first draft. Lots of cool ideas, but needing a lot of reworking.

I recently watched SW with someone that has never seen it. She thought the OT was "okay" but still held interest in it andwanted to see the next movie. When we started TPM, she fell asleep and has expressed zero interest in watching any more. I think many people are turned off by the stoic nature of the PT. She was confused when Shmi had almost zero emotion to Anakin being taken away.

I'd had this conversation with a few younger non-geek friends within the past year.

The two of them are both around 23, and have way more of a pop culture awareness of music than anything else. They'd seen the Prequels growing up and evidently considered them entirely forgettable. They admitted they were way more into Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings than Star Wars, and that they'd never even sat down and watched the Original Trilogy in its entirety. I loaned them my copies, and they came back a few weeks later kind of perplexed. They said that they thought the originals were nothing like the Prequels, and they thought that the originals would kind of suck or be forgettable just like they were for them.

As I remember it, this was their review for each:

• New Hope - The first half was pretty boring, and they thought that it was going to be like the Prequels again until everything started getting cool when the Millennium Falcon escaped Tatooine. The last space battle looked awesome, but could have been longer. Also Luke was kind of a wimp and just got lucky.
  • Empire Strikes Back - This was their favorite because according to them it reminded them of Lord of the Rings. They both asked me if the "snow battle" was the first time CGI was ever used, and the younger of the two asked me why Yoda couldn't be as funny or less annoying in the Prequels.
  • Return of the Jedi - They liked the ending, but didn't like how everything else was kind of a repeat according to them. They also asked why Luke just didn't finally turn into a badass like Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan when he became a Jedi instead of getting angry all the time.

I also prodded them a little more to tell me what they thought of the Prequels, and they said they loved the action scenes but hated everything else. They told me that the lightsaber fight at the end of Episode I was still their favorite and that the space battle at the beginning of Episode III was their favorite scene of that, but everything else was just way too boring for them. They said they already knew who Darth Vader was and that they didn't care about everything that turned him bad.

I still haven't quite figured them out, but it's going to be fun watching the new trilogy in the upcoming years through their eyes.

I don't know anybody who likes the prequils. Even my sons didn't, except for ROTS in some places. The lightsaber fight in TMP was good. Some people dislike them more than others. The more intense the SW fan, the more intense the dislike of the prequils. Non SW fans could be bothered with them, I find.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-09-04 at 2.36.14 PM.png

THEY WILL

But probably not really.

Your last name is....that? You sound like a nerd, man.

;)

OP: Just about everyone knows there were SW movies released early in the century, but the list of "don't care" / "I think I saw a minute of one on cable" to "no, I'm not into that" at my office is pretty large. New fantasy--like LOTR, Marvel movies and the general action stuff (M:I, for example) is what they not only watched, but can refer to.

Regarding TFA, other than those who cover entertainment and literally a couple of SW fans in the office, I do not know of any who watched even a frame of the teaser, or say anything about it.

Star Wars is not the film culture mover it was during the OT years. Now, it is just another branded concept that people will see opening weekend (or wait for the home release), but the PT did not generate that "i've seen it 20 times!!" frenzy the OT inspired in the average, non-sci-fi fan of the 70s/80s.

It's funny how that frenzy was invented by Jaws and Star Wars, and Hollywood has been trying to recapture that moment ever since. How business was done changed because of those two movies, and after almost 40 years they still don't want to try another model.

AND I SAY THAT AS A HOLLYWOOD INDUSTRY PERSON

Another movie that broke it was Sixth Sense. I haven't EVER been able to pitch a movie without being asked what the twist is, or what the high concept outlier aspect is.

Star Wars is not the film culture mover it was during the OT years. Now, it is just another branded concept that people will see opening weekend (or wait for the home release), but the PT did not generate that "i've seen it 20 times!!" frenzy the OT inspired in the average, non-sci-fi fan of the 70s/80s.

I'm probably going to take a lot of flak for this, but I'm feeling about Star Wars now the same way I was feeling about Star Trek around the time TPM actually came out. I still like it overall, but can't see myself getting excited about it, getting all geeky about details, predictions and so forth, or even sitting around and watching it. I'm really feeling the franchise over-saturation here. Not just from the prequils, but huge volumes of EU stuff and cartoon spin-offs, lego Star Wars, clone wars. On and On.

I might get around to seeing Force Awakens in theatres. Most likely because family or friends will drag me off to see it, and I'm the one and only that anyone knows with the money to actually spring on stuff like this every so often. But I'm sure not counting the days until it comes out.

It's funny how that frenzy was invented by Jaws and Star Wars, and Hollywood has been trying to recapture that moment ever since. How business was done changed because of those two movies, and after almost 40 years they still don't want to try another model.

AND I SAY THAT AS A HOLLYWOOD INDUSTRY PERSON

Another movie that broke it was Sixth Sense. I haven't EVER been able to pitch a movie without being asked what the twist is, or what the high concept outlier aspect is.

Isn't the "high concept" of Leatherface figuring out which of the kids it will be? I kind of like that setup in that you know that something's coming but you have to look for the clues along the way before it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.