5. 5. Ashoka is alive

6. 6. Darth Vader / Anakin will materialize in physical form

7. 7. Emperor Palpatine will return

8. 8. Finn is related to Mace Windu

9. 9. Darth Bane is part of the story

10. 10. Darth Plagueis is part of the story

• Likely
    • Unlikely

A ghost who appears to Anakin right before his mother's ghost appears, which gives him, and the audience, no reason to believe that Qui-Gon is real.

And if he appeared to Yoda, did Yoda tell Anakin about it?

A ghost who appears to Anakin right before his mother's ghost appears, which gives him, and the audience, no reason to believe that Qui-Gon is real.

And if he appeared to Yoda, did Yoda tell Anakin about it?

Another fair point. But we know that Qui-Gon's ghost is a real thing as established in episode 3 and clone wars season 6; whereas we have no reason to believe Shmi has a ghost. So we do have *a* reason to believe that Qui-Gon's ghost is real. We just simultaneously have reasons to doubt it as you noted.

The original trilogy is but a subset of the overall story, they have most definitely expanded beyond the narrative need in the prequels and clone wars. One can draw insight from that just as well as one can draw insight from the narrative need in the OT, can one not?

I imagine that Disney has evaluated bringing many iconic characters into the sequel trilogy; and one way to do that is to exploit the mysteries about life after death that were set up outside of the OT. Not quite sure why you are so dismissive of this? Maybe you don't like the idea and prefer something else but it does seem at least rational and possible in my opinion that there is room to bring Yoda or other characters back in some form. I sure wouldn't mind Yoda stepping out of the light and into physical form ala Gandalf to save our heroes at the end of E7. It wouldn't ruin anything for me!

So few people watch the cartoons versus those who are targeted for the films that it makes no sense to include anything more than a bare cameo for cartoon characters (I'm talking cameos like Dash Rendar's Outrider in ANH - fun for the fans but irrelevant to the story). Abrams is trying to grow the Universe, not necessarily meld all the disparate money-making subuniverses. To be the most Star Wars story since Star Wars itself, TFA will have to stand very much on its own, not rely on the past or on the cartoon stories.

There is a big difference between what would be fun to see and what the films will do narratively. They're not mutually exclusive but the fun stuff will go into the cartoons. These are supposed to be films, not just merchandising commercials.

And Gandalf was a god playing at being just a magical being because his hands were figuratively tied. He was sent back to finish the job he was assigned. Yoda was a mortal with some magic powers. Luke has the same magic powers. What need for Yoda, then?

There are millions of kids who watch the cartoons and for many of them that is their favorite star wars. The OT looks stupid and silly to them. It makes sense to use that brand in the movies in order to grow the fan base and vice versa. It is Disney, they are very interested in getting more and more kids on board with their IP, which includes Yoda. I guess we can just wait and see. I hope there is a lot of new stuff but I also hope they leverage rebels and clone wars as well as the prequels to try and tie everything together in a consistent story.

The original trilogy is but a subset of the overall story, they have most definitely expanded beyond the narrative need in the prequels and clone wars.

Yes. But.

It's become very clear that the people making TFA have no interest in any of that. The story group exists to make spin off material jive with the movies, not the other way around. This was true even during the PT.

Like I said, while the OT may just be part of a bigger tapestry to some people, a large majority see the OT as Star Wars and the PT as "those bad movies" and everything else is for kids and nerds.

There are millions of kids who watch the cartoons and for many of them that is their favorite star wars. The OT looks stupid and silly to them.

My kid is 100% one of these. He relates to Clone Wars more than the movies. Same with all his friends.

You know what he asked me when I showed him the TFA trailer? When they were going to make a Minecraft movie.

Kids were a target to George Lucas, mostly to fuel his action figure Empire. That was a market that existed in the 80s that is no so easy to tag now. In the 80s I had Saturday morning cartoons, the summer genre hit of the year, and a Disney movie every few years. My kid has Netflix, Disney XD, Cartoon Network, video games and youtube.

While Star Wars will certainly always be marketed to kids, the TFA is being made by people inspired by the OT and looks to be aimed at capturing the same vibe and feel. It will not cater to fandom.

It's always funny when I see people argue for things that just won't ever happen. Same thing happened during the prequels. I mean you can disagree with someone on what will happen or not happen. You can disagree with someone on which movies are good or not. But sometimes someone thinks something is going to happen and I think "this person does not understand Star Wars at all, they have no idea what it's actually about."

Like how Aurra Sing was going to be HUGE in episode 2, or hor Grand Admiral Thrawn was going to be in ROTS, or whatever other EU thing that gained popularity drove fandom loco.

Look, I'd love it if Ahsoka turned up in a movie, but I'm okay if she doesn't.

I'm not following Rebels beyond what clips pop up in my geek news feed, but if Ahsoka isn't killed off by Vader in the cartoon, I'm going to start wondering about Vader's Jedi-killing reputation. Because all Vader has done on screen is kill some kids and some unarmed Separatist leaders. We saw, what, a fragment of an actual duel against a Jedi in the Temple as part of security footage reviewed by Kenobi and Yoda? How disappointing.

It was very disappointing. That entire section of the film beginning with Palpatine revealing his identity was just totally ridiculous and horrible. With the exception of the Yoda decapitation and the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan battle of course.

Ashoka is strong and respectable. Her character development was better acted and written than most if not all characters in the prequels, and she is very capable as is demonstrated during her escape from the Republic custody just before her decision to leave the Jedi order. While one may justifiably dislike or be indifferent to the Mortis episodes, Ashoka did receive the life energy of the female sibling. This was a being who demonstrated abilities beyond what any Jedi or Sith had shown in both the OT and PT. In addition there is evidence from the Nightsisters episodes that there are beings like Mother Talzin who can manipulate a green luminous energy to enhance a target subject's force and physical abilities, such as she did with Darth Maul's brother, Savage Oppress. Who knows what effects the life force of the Daughter may have had on Ashoka's power compared to that of the slightly weakened Darth Vader. Perhaps she was able to evade his capture all this time.

Wait a minute . . . Oh! You guys are talking about the Disney canon! Sorry, I was answering these questions about the future of Star Wars based on the EU. That's why I voted Boba Fett being alive as likely (more than likely, in fact; he is alive), and Palpatine returning as likely too (even though I hated that storyline). For Finn, I thought we were talking about Finn Galfridian, which is why I voted his being related to Mace Windu unlikely since they have different colored skin (unless they are extremely distantly related).

So yeah, my bad. Glad I'm on track now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.