I think it was more a way to ask "so do you believe me now?"

That works, but I still don't get why he was there in the first place.

I guess I could go back and catch that 5 minutes I missed, but I want it spoon fed, dammit!

He was there for the same reason Mom was, to get supplies. I was kind of half paying attention so if I'm wrong someone can feel free to correct me.

I watched this. I gave up on The Walking Dead comic (or, as it's identified in the credits on this show "series of graphic novels" hah hah what) at some point or another (I think it was either after Kirkman did something really horrible, like I think maybe a baby died, or one of the people who had been around for a long long time got gruesomely eaten after pouring her heart out to another character [maybe the main one or the main one's wife?] about how she wanted a polygamous relatonship, actually no wait I think it was the issue after he had a big splash page with the main guy yelling out to the other people there something like "Don't you get it? WE ARE THE WALKING DEAD!' that was enough for me) and didn't watch past the pilot but a spin-off which doesn't skip over the best parts of your average zombie movie plus, of course, Kim Dickens means that's something I'm going to try.

It's kind of okay so far!

Liked the bit at the end where the mom makes the executive decision to let one neighbor butcher the other neighbor.

Me too! I liked that bit too and I think what's going on there is something more than the standard zombie movie thing (actually, no, the classic standard zombie movie thing would probably be to go out and save the neighbour. so it's more like the NEW modern standard of coldly deciding not to that I think is getting a very slight twist here). She's not just letting that happen - she's refusing to let her daughter go through the trauma of what she just went through when she killed her boss to protect Tobias. I think --- I might be wrong and reading something a little more into it than was there in the first place.

I watched the second one last night. They're running promos about a merathon and catching up so I thought there were more episodes. Can re-running the pilot and one episode really be considered a MARATHON?

Anyways-I tried really hard to like one of these characters and have ended up really not liking the Mom. She has ZERO maternal qualities and turns out she's a wuss, too.

I like the feel of this thing-the new world order feel. One thing I feel is fairly realistic is how quickly law and order goes away-I feel this is spot on. I also like how some people don't believe this is a thing.

I noticed some camera angles and shots I liked a lot-nice for a teevee series.

Right now, it's reminding me a lot of Leftovers on that it's more about how people are reacting to it than it is about exactly what happened to start this.

She has ZERO maternal qualities and turns out she's a wuss, too.

I like having a mom that isn't super maternal, one who has even given up on one of her kids on a TV show. Yeah, most moms in real life are more or less maternal, but not every mom, and perhaps not Madison. I'm gonna stick up for her, because I like 1) seeing a "non-maternal" mom shown on screen, 2) seeing it on screen without having loads of talking about how "different/cold/etc..." she is. (And for what it's worth, I really don't think she's "cold" as some have complained, so much as not your stereotypical TV mom -- I mean, she didn't let her daughter get eaten by zombies, and she grabbed drugs for her son, so hey).

And as far as being a wuss -- I think most people would be a wuss when they first come across the walkers. That's fine. Let's see how she is 4-5 episodes down the line.

She has ZERO maternal qualities and turns out she's a wuss, too.

I like having a mom that isn't super maternal, one who has even given up on one of her kids on a TV show. Yeah, most moms in real life are more or less maternal, but not every mom, and perhaps not Madison. I'm gonna stick up for her, because I like 1) seeing a "non-maternal" mom shown on screen, 2) seeing it on screen without having loads of talking about how "different/cold/etc..." she is. (And for what it's worth, I really don't think she's "cold" as some have complained, so much as not your stereotypical TV mom -- I mean, she didn't let her daughter get eaten by zombies, and she grabbed drugs for her son, so hey).

And as far as being a wuss -- I think most people would be a wuss when they first come across the walkers. That's fine. Let's see how she is 4-5 episodes down the line.

Okay. That's all fair. If I think about it-she reminds me of so many of the female characters Stephen King writes-there just doesn't seem to be anything at all feminine or even remotely female about them-not that there's anything wrong with that.

All of the characters in TWD suck. I quit watching when I realized I didn't care about any of them. I'm really hoping they all get eaten in the end, Carl included.

I like the new show because it's a fresh start, one that might develop some interesting characters over time.

...well, if you were hoping for interesting, what do we have so far...

1. Stepfather with no real character. They're tyring to make him as desperate to reunite with his family as we witnessed with Rick.

2. Mother. Nasty, and in keeping with almost every show on TV, she is confrontational for no apparent reason. I see the plot trying to (eventually) mold her into a combination of Rick (leader in compromised positions), Michonne (ultimate survivor) and ultimate pragamatism (Carol).

3. Addict son. Pointless wave of "we're so real" / overused drama that does not build this prequel world at all. Why in the hell do we care about him? I imagine the show will try to turn him into the wise hero with the worst of problems. Yes, that is original in TV. Never....ever...tried before.

4. Daughter. Stereotyped love struck girl, and scoring big on the Zombie TV Roulette Wheel of Potentially Deadly Mistakes (whether for herself, or others).

5. Stepfather's real son. Seems like a punk. Pretend he's "missing in action" by abandoning him in the barber shop.

6. Fat kid. There's an article floating around online that Tobias is FTWD's Morgan. Okay.

None of the reasons for that observation held water, even if judging him against 1st appearance Morgan.

I will see where the rest of this short season goes, but if E3 is more of the same....

More action here in the first five minutes than in the entirety of episodes 1 and 2.

Good stuff, and some seriously tense sequences -- a few that should have payoffs down the road. This is the first episode I really liked. Well, 'cept for Monopoly. Wasn't sure about that.

Also, I rewatched 1 & 2 before this and enjoyed them more than I remembered; it's not like they were bad the first time or like there were a ton of finer details that only appear upon closer inspection. And they're still definitely not great. But better. Just caught the right synapses at the right moment this time through or something, perhaps?

I'm still enjoying it. Again, I really like seeing the outbreak occur more slowly than we do in movies. Even though it isn't in real time, it is certainly closer than what we typically get. I like seeing all of the different reactions from characters as they figure/find out what is going on. I thought that the military showing up could have been handled a little better. It was good to see the hints at their presence as helicopters flew overhead earlier in the episode, but them showing up just as the family was leaving was very tv-ish.

Agreed with all of that.

Some of the criticism is cracking me up.

"There are zombies in the midst and everybody throws a riot? That makes ZERO SENSE!"

Uh, the show made it pretty clear that nobody knows wtf is going on. They think the cops are just filling sick/drugged people full of lead because, well, cops, so they are pissed and rioting/looting. They might know something ain't right, but the protest that led to the riots is because the cops shot an "unarmed homeless man" about 500 times in front of lots of people.

"Travis is SO STUPID! I can't believe he tried to talk to that one walker and didn't want to put the neighbor down!"

People still think it's an illness (well, it kinda is) -- and many illnesses have been cured throughout history. Why would you off your neighbor you've known for years if there's a chance she can be healed? Even if it's a tiny chance. Furthermore, in the Walking Dead world, they apparently don't have nearly 50 years of "gotta shoot 'em in the head" zombie mythology, so what are they gonna think is going on?

Not saying there are no legit complaints to be had -- lotsa silliness and sillier coincidences have occurred, but some of the critics seem to have no clue of the plot (which isn't that complicated!) or the main character's perspectives (also not super complicated).

OK, so the first episode was "Not great, but had a few hooks and I'll come back."

Second episode was "A bit more sure footed than the first with more hooks. I'm starting to like it."

Third episode was "Hey, that was pretty nifty! What's gonna happen next?"

Fourth episode was "Now we're getting really good. I have to wait a whole week??"

At this rate, the sixth and final episode is going to be the greatest thing ever broadcast to a television screen. Children conceived during its airing will have the gift of flight. God will weep astride his crystal unicorn, his molten tears melting the Earth's sand into glass.

------

By the way, not a single walker, and I don't remember a single shot being fired, yet this was the tensest episode yet.

:eek:

On one hand, when Madison said the soldier capture/torture angle was "absurd," I could not have agreed with her more.

On the other hand, the remnants of the military were so thin and dysfunctional by that time, it's almost believable they wouldn't be out looking for the dude.

• Liked Strand, with the caveat that he could become "a bit much" very easily.
  • Liked the kids in the rich people house.
  • Liked that Travis showed some spine, but still wasn't able to kill the walker
  • Cobalt initiative and its "humane termination" of civilians or whatever better be explained to my satisfaction next week or it, too, will go in the "absurd" pile. Napalming cities that are lost to walkers -- OK, fine. The wholesale extermination of otherwise healthy people? Not so much -- even if the order is given, do you see the soldiers carrying it out?

Liked a lot more than I disliked in this episode, but it was more of a mixed bag compared to the last two.

That's one problem I've always had with films and movies. I grew up in a military family and I know for a fact that while a few soldiers would carry out an illegal order, most wouldn't. But Hollywood always depicts soldiers en masse all like "K!" and then slaughtering Americans. Um ... no.

That's one problem I've always had with films and movies. I grew up in a military family and I know for a fact that while a few soldiers would carry out an illegal order, most wouldn't. But Hollywood always depicts soldiers en masse all like "K!" and then slaughtering Americans. Um ... no.

Yeah. At least in the last episode, they finally touched on how uncomfortable some of the soldiers were with their "patriotism," so assuming there even is any military left next week, I think it's a good bet most of them will say "Uh, screw this." if/when the order comes down to "humanely euthanize" the local nonessential non-walker population.

At least that's what I'm hoping, cause even if the series becomes awesome down the road, hive-minded civ-killing soldiers is a storytelling choice I don't think I could ever fully come back from.

The captured soldier talking about killing civilians at least made sense, and was obviously not proud of his actions -- but if a massive horde of walkers with a few intermingled people (who are gonna turn anyway) is rumbling toward you, ya probably just retreat with all them Parthian shots, not aiming specifically at anybody.

Its fiction so I won't nitpick too much but I never bought the idea of zombies taking over the earth because they're slow, of low intelligence, and weaponless. Our military can stomp a mudhole in entire countries 1,000 miles away when they have similar weapons and intelligent strategy but ... unarmed morons with no plan wipe us out right here in the miltary's backyard? Especially with police, FBI, CIA, and armed civilian backup?

I doubt it.

But then you wouldn't have a movie/ TV show. LOL

Our military can stomp a mudhole in entire countries 1,000 miles away when they have similar weapons and intelligent strategy but ... unarmed morons with no plan wipe us out right here in the miltary's backyard? Especially with police, FBI, CIA, and armed civilian backup?

True.

That said, the only people who seemed to know anything about the "Walker Pathogen" or whatever were hospitals (we see them taking recently deceased downstairs to see if they would turn), police (who obviously didn't know about headshots yet), and the military (of which, somehow only the National Guard remains?).

We also know that information about the pathogen has been suppressed. The flu was a news item, but there was nothing about people turning into walkers aside from conspiracy stuff on the Internet. The news was treating the police shooting of walkers as a legit murder of a homeless people/protesters/whatever. There was a criticism of how people in FTWD "Didn't just watch the news for information on how to get through this crisis," but if you remember, the news was just covering the riots 24/7 before everything went black -- nothing about walkers that I heard!

Also, it is alluded to in Episode 1 or 2, but not stated outright, that nearly everybody was getting sick -- was the illness killing people and reanimating them or just killing them? I think we can assume it wasn't primarily spread through bites at that stage and that people weren't reanimating just yet, or else word'd have gotten out a lot sooner.

Guess what I'm sayin' is I really only have a vague idea of how things went down, but if the pathogen just switched itself into "active" mode after everybody was infected (a la Oryx and Crake), and literally everybody got it at once and there was suppression of information/lack of communication, I don't have a hard time suspending disbelief (napalming Atlanta ain't gonna help much against literally billions of walkers). :o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.