Rogue One **SPOILER**

Doze

You're wrong. The films stand on their own. The books and games of the DUD were supplementary materials, always. The films had no reliance on the supplementary stories. You're a big fan of them, and that's nice, but those stories were going to end someday anyway. Did you think that the DUD could go on indefinitely?

And so what if a character is named Galen. Is that name supposed to be off limits for all time?

It's just entertainment. Taking entertainment this seriously takes all the joy out of it.

That may be so, but it leaves the films with lots of unanswered questions. I did not expect the Expanded Universe to go on indefinitely. I didn't, and don't, expect Star Wars itself to go on indefinitely. I still, however, will always associate only the original universe with the franchise.

Isn't it funny how those Trekkies who don't accept the rebooted Star Trek are revered, but those who don't accept the rebooted Star Wars are criticized harshly? I suppose time will tell if this attitude is accepted, whether or not the FU (including the new films) is well received.

Except I don't hate change for any reason. I hate the destruction of my entertainment franchise without even the smallest attempt at compromise. And yes, I would have gladly compromised. While the Clone Wars era has become a jumbled headache, I still accept the revisions as canon. I'd hate to be the one to clean up the mess, though.

Compromise? What does Lucasfilm/Disney need to compromise with you for? You're mistakenly thinking of yourself - or all your DUD fan colleagues - as equals to the film producers. That's a bit of a warped view.

Either you'll see it, or you won't. You're not really the target audience, anyway. Fans of the DUD wanted infinitely detailed world-building. The target audience is the casual fan who likes Star Wars but doesn't care if every background extra has a name and backstory for the action figure.

Well, you said it, not I: the casual fan. It's all about the casuals. To hell with the big fans on whose wallets most of Lucas Film's foundations rest.

We hold no delusions of grandeur for ourselves, just the material that enriched the universe we love, and all the hard work that went into building it. It was anything but a dud; it reinvigorated the public's passion for the franchise. The new films and everything that came along with them likely would not have happened if it weren't for the EU, mostly in the '90s. If it weren't for the EU and everything it launched, Star Wars would be like Jaws today: an iconic film saga that people would still love for its historicity, but lacking any active fan base. Everyone has the EU to thank for renewed and continued interest in Star Wars, including Disney.

You're welcome.

Ok then. Thanks for the mediocre (at best) stories. Tie-in fiction is the Pez candy of literature.

The supplemental materials kept the brand alive through the '90s. Thanks. But films have a hugely different scale of profitability. The hard core fans kept it on life support until the film revival with the special editions. Star Wars stories are films. Anything else is a diluted version of the story.

I still don't get how if you love Star Wars that much you're not happy about MORE Star Wars.

All the EU stories are still there to enjoy. They aren't erased from reality.

Canon is, and always has been, moot because NONE OF IT IS REAL. If it's a Star Wars story and you like it isn't that enough?

I still don't get how if you love Star Wars that much you're not happy about MORE Star Wars.

All the EU stories are still there to enjoy. They aren't erased from reality.

Canon is, and always has been, moot because NONE OF IT IS REAL. If it's a Star Wars story and you like it isn't that enough?

I know right? QFT.

The EU was only created and existed for so long to generate more money for Lucasfilm, don't have misguided ideas that it was created for some love and care of the story. The EU has absoloutely no more artistic integrity than the films will. I mean sure, we can thank you old big fans for keeping Star Wars on life support, but at the end of the day it's the "casuals" who have kept the franchise alive through showing up in record breaking numbers when the films have premiered. And honestly the whole idea of a "casual" fan is ridiculous anyway.

The main reason the EU got old....you could tell the machine was just churning out books. Rejecting bad ideas means less books would get made and less money.

I was getting extremely insulted by the material coming out that we were expected to read and be happy with.

How anyone could welcome such ideas and stories is unbelievably unsettling to me.

How anyone could welcome such ideas and stories is unbelievably unsettling to me.

How anyone could possibly care so much, and campaign so virulently against, what other people find enjoyable is unbelievably unsettling to me.

And that's not just directed at JG, it's a common thought about the EU which people echo every time they "hate" on it, especially here. "I didn't enjoy it. It must have been crap. You like crap!"

Just let it go. Maybe that's hard when you have the other side of the coin in Zerimar posting, but still, just... Let. It. Go.

It's not a rumor. One of the actors signed an autograph with the name "Galen" directly under his name, amid other actors from the film. It's a photo that came out earlier today (can't be bothered to find it at the moment).

If it's a defunct universe, then you need to include the six films along with it because they were produced hand-in-hand with the written works. It is impossible to separate the two. Technically, until the FU confirms it to be true (which I have no idea if it has or hasn't yet), we don't even know if the creatures in Return of the Jedi are still called Ewoks! I'm sure they will be called Ewoks at some point, but ostensibly their identities are as-yet unconfirmed.

This is a train wreck that I will have no part of. Star Wars is dead, and what exists now is Disney Wars. You are a Disney Wars fan. It is a similar franchise, but not the same.

They'll survive without you.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I just read today that one of the characters in this film will be named Galen. Are you freaking kidding me? Galen? Like Galen Marek?

Did they cast Sam Witwer, the voice actor who played Galen Marek? Do we even know it is Galen Marek, or just someone with the same first name? Is it even confirmed at all?

Kind of early to make a snap decision like that, if you ask me. Besides, the name Galen dates back to ancient Greece, and also has been used in a lot of works of fiction, including Star Trek and Babylon 5, Stargate SG1, and Battlestar Galactica.

Not to mention, if you are a fan of pre-Disney EU, and if this were Galen Marek making an appearance in Rogue One, wouldn't that be welcome news? Personally, I wouldn't mind if it Kyle Katarn makes a cameo, or is at least referenced.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.