Cell Phones

Burt

Gaahhhh things have changed!

I haven't seriously looked at cell plans since 2011, and I was curious what yall's experiences are like with companies, phones, etc. I have had a Windows Phone (haha, I know) for the last 4 years, and I want to switch to Apple or Android.

What's the best plan yall have come across? The websites are so full of clutter it's hard to fish out the pertinent information to actually figure out a monthly rate.

Honestly, they're all so similar and close. I'd pick the phone that has the features that best suit your needs and make sure your plan has unlimited texting, at least 2gb of data allowance and a calling plan that make sense for your needs.

Guest Bridgewife

I've noticed that providers are switching to a rental program for phones - I used to get a free upgrade every 2 years, but no more! I'm not entirely sure what to do now, I want a smartphone but I'm not paying an extra $20/month to rent a phone for 2 years! It won't even be my property, Sprint gets it back. I use Sprint and have been very happy with the coverage, but when my contract's up I may switch.

With our provider, it's a bring your own device thing. So we just bought our phones. Again, though, with saving $80 a month, it's worth it to shell out for an iPhone for my wife, and I have an old flip phone because I don't want to be connected all the time.

I like the idea of Sprint's iPhone Forever plan, but I worry how Sprint will do in the rural areas my job takes me.

It's mind-boggling to me that a phone costs as much as a laptop. That makes me balk at the bring your own phone plans. I'm not above carrying a small bag containing a Garmin GPS, camera, and tablet. Really debating going to a go phone and carrying that stuff.

Yeah. Reception in rural areas as my biggest thing. I travel at lot between Tucson and Atlanta. So I have to have national good coverage. I like Verizon or AT&T. Sprint has had spotty coverage in even some big cities.

Currently I'm using an old 3GS iPhone. It tends to drop my calls when I drive from Boerne into San Antonio for some reason - I think it's a tower reception thing where it's switching towers. Soon Apple won't support it but I'm a big fan of hanging on to things until I cannot stretch them any longer. So I'm probably have to break down and buy a phone soon. I have never had an issue with my iPhone except now it runs slower than anything but it's old technology with a slow old chip. I'm probably going to get an iPhone to replace it but I've been eyeballing Samsung Galaxy because I have their tablet and it's been great for two years.

My current phone plan is 2 GB data and unlimited calls and texts for 45$ with AT&T. I've gotten good reception at the coast when I was counting birds as a volunteer and in Big Bend as well as parts of Arizona's mountains and in bumblefuck Alabama. I plan to buy the phone out right because making payments on a phone with your plan is like renting tires on your car.

I go with coverage, now. I had a disastrous 4-year relationship with Sprint and I've never been happier to jettison a phone company. I've been with Verizon a little over a year, and they've provided great coverage and no billing issues. Now that my mom is no longer living in the boonies, I do have other options but I've been happy enough with Verizon that I think we'll probably just keep them. Depends on how ridiculous the new "no contract plans" are. I am the type that uses my phone for 2 years and I can sell it in good condition afterwards.

When you buy a smartphone you are basically buying a small fast computer. When I think about it like that it doesn't sting so much when they make me pay full price for the phone up front instead of their weird payment plan included in the pricing for the plan. I just started texting within the year. I hate texting and voicemail. So basically I use my phone like a handheld GPS and for internet with some infrequent calling and texting. Most of my school calls are done at home but I have found the google maps app to be extra handy.

I went with Tracfone because I could set up a really cheap payment plan based on my usage. I don't use the phone a lot, mostly calls and texting and only rarely for Internet purposes, so I don't need anything fancy. I bought a refurbished Android ZTE Valet really cheap through Tracfone, and it works fine for my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.