Blade Runner 2!

CoLA

I guess the latter half of Harrison Ford's career will be reprising all his memorable roles. I think it's time for Dr. Richard Kimble to clear his name after being accused of murdering his niece! The race is on to find the one-legged redheaded man who really did it!

Guest El Chalupacabra

And now...the trailer!

Interesting. I like to watch a lot of movies, but mostly at home.And I know I will watch it. But I have to hear more buzz before I just catch this one at home when it comes out on DVD/BR.

Yeah that's what I meant. My confusion came from the fact that Total Recall 2070 was based of Total Recall AND Blade Runner.

And yeah it was awesome.

I need to revisit that show. I know the showrunners even said they wanted to do Blade Runner the series, but couldn't get the rights-- so they skipped sideways a little.

I forgot about this thread.

Yeah, I used to love that show back in the day....late night watching. Didn't last too long, and I remember being bummed when it was cancelled.

Within the last year or 2, I can't remember exactly when, I re-watched the pilot, Machine Dreams. It really didn't hold up too well. I made it about half way through, and turned it off. Such is the case with other late night stuff I was into in the mid-late 1990s like Forever Knight, Highlander, Robocop the series, the Cube movie series, etc. If you don't believe me, rewatch any of that. Trust me, they aged badly!

And speaking of Blade Runner ripping other works off...I'm surprised no one brought up Logan's Run. Like, ever. Maybe not visually (both are far different, and different settings), but the concept of a guy whose job it is to track down and kill, then switches sides? Yeah, can't say that isn't similar. I know both original works were written in the 1960s within a year of each other, and I don't think Dick copied anyone, but I wonder if Scott would have been inclined to make Blade Runner, had Logan's Run not been made first.

Wellll, they've certainly got my interest. It looks like they're being very careful to recreate the visual mood and sound aesthetic of the original, which is a good sign. And Ryan Gosling can pull of slow/moody films well. I was worried it would be overly polished and modernized like the Total Recall remake or something. Looks like the story might be going in a Looper-esque direction?
I kinda wish Harrison Ford wasn't in this because, frankly, he sleep walks through most everything... AND this probably means Deckard IS a replicant which is a theory I've never liked, though Ridley Scott has flat out said he is. For me it was never about Deckard, he was a lost soul who represents mankind in general. I'm just not concerned with his continuing story, and his inclusion in this feels a bit hokey to me. I'm not sure why. Obviously it's a teaser but (to me) Deckard was kind of a nobody, a cog in the machine; and his character doesn't really warrant a wise, jaded "I've seen things" narrative presence in this film. We'll see though. I'm willing to give this a shot now.

• 6 months later...

In theory I think it looks awesome. They story that's coalescing seems on point-- Tyrell's heir can't crack next level Nexus, needs one of the Seven models with now life limit and Decker is the only one left.

My only complaint is that it looks too clean and seeing Ford for some reason pulls me right out. It's like he's not even wearing a costume.

I found out with Force Awakens that Ford is "too famous" to me. Every scene he was in was "all these star wars characters... and Harrison Ford."

Or maybe it means he's mailing things in.

Or both. Idk. I'll see it, even though I can't say I'm too invested in the series.

I found out with Force Awakens that Ford is "too famous" to me. Every scene he was in was "all these star wars characters... and Harrison Ford."

100% I felt the same way.

Or maybe it means he's mailing things in.

I think it's both-- you nailed it.

I can't say I'm too invested in the series.

I'll murder you and everyone you've ever loved.

Guest Robin

re: too famous

My kids and I don't have that problem. We just see Han Solo in everything. Han Solo kills Nazi. Han Solo works at the CIA. Han Solo is retarded. etc etc

• 2 months later...

I wasn't being entirely serious (I like Bladerunner, but haven't seen it for years and can only remember the key scenes), but I didn't want to raise GGaB's expectations with gushing. And I'm a bit sick of gushing (not that I didn't do in the past). 2049 looks promising, but I've had enough of the "masterpiece", "so and so is God", "he's the greatest living director" etc. stuff already.

Like Driver, I'm not sure the clean (modernist / minimalist / uncluttered / whatever) look of it is appropriate (or the bright / full lighting in some scenes). I can understand why they've gone for a similar-but-different look because nobody wants to completely copy another movie, but I think the lack of kipple (look it up) really stands out and it's not as distinctive as it ought to be (not helped by lots of recent and not-so-recent sci-fi movies going for clean as well).

I might go and see it today (if not tomorrow) because big-screen movie, but I'm a bit apprehensive because it still looks like one of those movies that will disappoint people (like me) that need at least one iconic character / performance to really love something and satisfy the people that don't = lots of arguments.

Just got back from seeing it... thinking out loud...

I was really in to it until after the point where Deckard gets captured by Luv and K gets recovered by the rest of the replicants, but then it got a bit messy / almost crazy and I was jolted in to critiquing it instead of experiencing it.

Thought that the ending was anti-climatic and the attempt to invoke the "tears in rain" part from Blade Runner just didn't work for me. I'd really got in to K's character / Gosling's performance and was totally feeling the angst right up until he died, but it was as if he broke character at the end and I just saw an actor lying on some steps in the snow.

Looked amazing, despite being a bit too clean in several places. That embers from a fire becoming lights in windows transition was awesome. Not sure about the soundtrack, was really unsubtle with its intentions sometimes.

Could have done with less Ford / Deckard at the end (part of the messy / almost crazy), and wished that the identity of his and Rachel's child had been something that wasn't revealed / something that the audience could have worked out for themselves or ended up arguing about. Would have needed a different ending for K / different way for him to achieve a sense of purpose, but whatever.

Liked the supporting characters, especially Joi. Felt that most of the others needed more screentime / development. Glimpses of something really interesting / possibly iconic with Luv, but not much more than a killing machine wot cries.

Really want to know how women react to it, and if they feel that the line between merely depicting a world where their roles are mostly terrible and reveling in it was crossed. During the really uncomfortable scene with Wallace and the just-born female replicant, I was looking around the theater to see how female audience members were reacting (there weren't any), and afterwards I was wondering if they'd ever considered a male aspect / factor in replicant infertility = Leto doing that scene with a male replicant instead. Probably not.

So yeah, really liked it up until the point where the replicant army appeared and Wallace started interrogating Deckard. A masterpiece? Don't think so... could gush over bits of this movie, but not overall. Which means I might be in the minority again, boo.

I think you're being overly critical, and your quibbles are purely taste oriented. Not flaws within the movie as such. I went in expecting a lot, and usually that makes me let down afterword. But this exceeded all my expectations. Id go so far to say its better than the original. It was a very refreshing film to see in the world of fast paced bubblegum superhero films and explosion fests, where the characters explain away 99% of what you already see on screen. This film treated the audience as adults with grey matter between their ears, took us on an immersive TRIP and I loved every minute of it.

I'd respond to some of your things specifically under your spoiler tag, but I don't know how to make them (spoiler tags).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.