Blade Runner 2!

CoLA

What what?!

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/82988/20150806/blade-runner-2-news-harrison-ford-ryan-gosling-set-filming.htm

Blade Runner 2 is in the works and will be set decades after the events in the first film. The sequel's list of cast and crew is also gradually being filled in, with latest addition, being Oscar-nominated cinematographer, Roger Deakins.

Blade Runner has been one of the successful and iconic movies in the 1980s and the news about a sequel after so many years have garnered mixed reactions from fans. But most recent reports about the film suggest that it is in good hands.

According to People, Harrison is set to reprise his role as the replicant hunter, Rick Deckard. Aside from him, Ryan Gosling is also set to star in the movie as a currently undisclosed character. Production for Blade Runner 2 is said to begin in summer 2016 which gives Ford ample time to recover from his injuries which he got from a plane crash last March.

A director has also been chosen for the sequel, as Denis Villeneuve is officially on board to helm the film, according to previous report. Villeneuve is also set to work with renowned cinematographer Roger Deakins.

The upcoming movie is said to be Deakins and Villeneuve's the third collaboration, after working together in films "Prisoner" (2013), and "Sicario" (2015). Other works by Deakins also includes "Skyfall", "The Shawshank Redemption", and "No Country for Old Men".

Meanwhile, as reported by MNR Daily, speaking about the violence portrayed in the original movie, Villeneuve reportedly said that it was depicted in a way that was not just about gore and blood. According to Villeneuve, the violence was portrayed in a mature manner, "the violence was approached in a very human way. The violence was very maturely realized." He said.

Although details about the plot are currently scarce, Blade Runner 2 has been reported to be set several decades after the events in the first movie. The original movie was set in the year 2019.

No release date has been given for Blade Runner 2 yet but more details about the sequel are expected to be revealed in the coming months.

I know right. I'm mixed on this. So many films and games have pretty much effectively been BladeRunner 2 already that I'm not sure they can add to the narrative and aesthetic with a direct sequel. I'll still watch the shit out of it, and am excited but how do you beat a classic?

What they need to do is film it and let some random oik edit it. Then they can release supposed directors, studio, final and final final cuts for years afterwards professing it to be the definitive edition.

It's a classic marketing ploy!!

This is one of those things that part of me wants... but more of me knows there is no way to recapture the essence of the original and it would be better if they didn't.

I think it's easier to write a new story within this universe and keep it true to the original than to try and film it. With the time difference since the original a lot of techniques have changed. Sure you could try and go back to those but I think something of the tone of the original would be lost.

Personally I'm intrigued to see this because I thought the original was pants. So I would like them to update it. But I know this wouldn't please everyone.

I heard Michael Bay is scheduled to direct??

Guest El Chalupacabra

This is one of those things that part of me wants... but more of me knows there is no way to recapture the essence of the original and it would be better if they didn't.

Yeah, this sums up how I feel, too. Look at Terminator: they've been trying to recapture the essence of T1 and T2 since 1991.

And what is up with the increasing trend of if a movie isn't remade, then there must be a sequel decades later? This could be a good sequel, but then again, there's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I've said my peace about this in the other thread... but I guess the stylistic "world" of Blade Runner is far more important to me than any of the characters. I don't care what happens to Deckard, so the only way I'd really get on board with this is if they can recreate a similar mood/tone. But I'm guessing it'll just look like the Total Recall remake.

Hard to say. Any dark scifi movie with an urban setting owes something to Blade Runner-- and most everyone is happy to admit it. Even Star Wars tried in AOTC with the "lower" section of the city-- you'd think a movie of that size might be able to do it-- but it looked sterile and silly.

Minority Report wasn't bad. Akira looks awesome (the movie). It's look was mostly based on the manga that started the same year as Blade Runner-- and had its genesis in some of the same source material as Blade Runner: the art of Mobius.

The Fifth Element was cool-- but was obviously nowhere near as dark. I always felt like the city in Fifth Element was a future Metropolis, while LA in Blade Runner was Gotham.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Hard to say. Any dark scifi movie with an urban setting owes something to Blade Runner-- and most everyone is happy to admit it. Even Star Wars tried in AOTC with the "lower" section of the city-- you'd think a movie of that size might be able to do it-- but it looked sterile and silly.

Minority Report wasn't bad. Akira looks awesome (the movie). It's look was mostly based on the manga that started the same year as Blade Runner-- and had its genesis in some of the same source material as Blade Runner: the art of Mobius.

The Fifth Element was cool-- but was obviously nowhere near as dark. I always felt like the city in Fifth Element was a future Metropolis, while LA in Blade Runner was Gotham.

The movie itself was kind of lame, and the fact it has Keanu Reeves is another matter altogether, but visually, I think johnny mnemonic visually looked a lot like LA in Bladerunner.

But now that you mention AOTC, yeah, that was a total missed opportunity, wasn't it? It's pretty sad that any Star Wars video game depicting Nar Shaddaa looked more Bladerunner like than AOTC did.

I thought the Blade Runner 2070 did a pretty good job.

Did you mean Total Recall 2070?

If so, I haven't thought of that show in years, but I remember that as some pretty good late, late night TV. Then again, it might have been the insomnia.

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.