Deadpool

Durty D

Well the Deadpool trailer dropped last night. It was preceded by a trailer narrated by the titular character himself.

I think it looks fun but could be a one-trick pony. Ryan Reynolds seems perfect for this role and they address FOX f##cking up the character the first time around.

Teaser:

Red band trailer:

It was maybe a little better than I had expected (feared?), but then again, I was keeping expectations decided low. I did enjoy the jab at the Green Lantern costume. I hadn't actually seen the teaser before, so it was nice to see them rip on themselves, as well. Hopefully, all this recognizing flaws in other movies means they've been taking notes and will avoid similar ones, themselves. That or they'll just make all new mistakes of their own.

I've never been a huge Deadpool fan, so I probably won't be truly disappointed, regardless of the finished product. That said, at this point, I'm more interested in this than the new Fantastic Four movie. Not much more excited about Batman vs Superman, to be honest. At least that film has a good chance of surpassing my low expectations. It's hard for me to even envision FF being anything but crap. So...go, Deadpool?!?

Yeah, he's played what - four comic book roles? This character does seem the best fit and the first time around wasn't exactly an exact (or even remote) representation of this character. That wasn't Reynolds fault, though. This seems very true to the character, so that already puts it above some other comic book based films, in at least one respect. Hopefully, it will deliver a fun ride. That's all we can ask for, after all.

Does this movie recognize his role in Wolverine Origins, at all? If it does, when does this movie take place? Before or after? I realize that this may be a stupid question. I saw Wolverine, and I watched the Red Band Trailer yesterday. If I had to guess, I believe that this movie dismisses/ignores Wolverine altogether.

That's what I've read. This is a complete reboot & new origins story. The only super-power they are giving him is Wolverine's regeneration. W:Origins gave him teleporation, lasers and other BS.

As far as I know, it's not dependant on any of the MCU, so I don't think the timeline of these events matter. I don't see them crossing over this R version of Merc with a Mouth with any successfully proven franchises. If it makes money, they'll probably make a few sequels until it dries up but I doubt it will go anywhere else.

Given that DOFP established alternate timelines, and that now in the prime continuity the X-Men form almost two decades ahead of schedule and Xavier and Mystique know about Wolverine well before Stryker gets ahold of him, one could assume that Origins is now a closed off alternate past. Whatever changes occurred, it's easy to assume Stryker didn't get his hands on Wade either.

But Deadpool is clearly in the X-verse given that Colossus bitch slaps him in the trailer. So I think it's safe to assume that Wade in Origins is the same character but in a different timeline thanks to the changes wrought by DOFP.

Singer had said F4 was in the same universe as the X-Men, but they are back-pedalling away from that statement post haste.

I wonder if they will mention his appearance in Wolverine: Origins.

I don't know if it will be referenced in the movie, but in one of the promotional pieces, Ryan Reynolds says something to the effect of "From the studio that inexplicably sewed his mouth shut in the first movie..." So they aren't shying away from anything, especially the "Don't make the supersuit green... or animated!" dig at Green Lantern.

That would be good. I'd also like to see a Hugh Jackman cameo where Deadpool responds "aren't you retiring soon?"

Since Colossus is somehow in this, "Congrats! Finally you get some screen time! "

I think it will be cool to see a movie not take itself so serious, but I don't know how long the shelf-life will be. I do think they are going about the marketing properly, billing Deadpool as such and more of a comedy rather than a comic-book movie. I give props to Marvel for having the balls to try it in a world of political correctness and bean-counters making sure the bottom line is the most important part of movie making.

Ha! That would be awesome!"Stan! Hey, Stan! Mr. Lee! Can you sign my mask?"Stan: *tries to ignore him and get away*

My favorite quote ever: "I'm not saying I want Stan Lee to die ... I'm just saying when he does the silver lining will be we don't have to look at his ****ing cameos anymore."

Deadpool's gone through a lot of phases: his original generic '90s assassin phase; his fourth-wall-breaking phase; his parodying-other-comics phase; the phase where he constantly argued with two other mysterious snarky voices in his head; his gruesome-black-comedy phase(s); and a recurring, humorless, boring antihero phase, that got me to drop his series last year or so.

No idea what Marvel's doing with him now in the comics, other than milking him for cash until and unless the general public gets as sick of him as some comics fans are.

I totally think Deadpool will work for a mass audience. The thing about comic book characters is that you look at all of the history and cherry pick the good stuff and leave out the crap.

You might piss off some fanboys along the way but they can pretty much go fuck themselves. With action figures, if necessary.

Deadpool's gone through a lot of phases: his original generic '90s assassin phase; his fourth-wall-breaking phase; his parodying-other-comics phase; the phase where he constantly argued with two other mysterious snarky voices in his head; his gruesome-black-comedy phase(s); and a recurring, humorless, boring antihero phase, that got me to drop his series last year or so.

No idea what Marvel's doing with him now in the comics, other than milking him for cash until and unless the general public gets as sick of him as some comics fans are.

The best DP thing right now is Deadpools' Secret Secret Wars mini! It's a retelling of Marvels' original SW with DP being among the heroes brought to Battleworld. His last ongoing was okay, but I think they have yet to make a regular series that was as good as the Joe Kelly run in the 90s.

I remember reading a trade with Deadpool in it a while back when he was constantly arguing with those voices in his head. Thought it was a cool (and funny) way to go about a super hero character. Probably not the most sensitive character for people with mental illness, but it was pretty cool and would suit the screen adaptation. But I can live with a one-line wise cracking smart arse character instead. Just isn't nearly as interesting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.