Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Lucas1138

The Mission Impossible series is like a fine wine and Fast/Furious - it keeps getting better with age.

Saw Rogue Nation today - probably the best action movie of the summer to be completely honest.

As always, nobody wants you to like a Tom Cruise movie more than Tom Cruise and he delivers. The set pieces are awesome. The IMF team (Pegg, Rhames, Renner, Cruise) works great together. Alec Baldwin has a nice supporting role. Oh and Rebecca Ferguson is a damn star.

I enjoyed it.

Same here. I thought it was great brain candy. I enjoyed it immensely.

But brain candy is all it is. I walked out thinking "I enjoyed this a lot, why do I feel like it was missing something?" Then I realized it had no emotional core. I felt no connection with any of the characters.

Now before you say "Its just a summer action movie, it doesn't need an emotional core" think about this: Nobody would ever accuse the Fast and Furious movies of being cinematic genius, but the movies have heart. The ending to the last one was perfection emotionally and not just because Paul Walker died but because they handled that with a nice touch. Had Ving died during the making of this one I feel like I still would have walked out feeling nothing.

Bottom line, and really fun movie and a good time but its on the empty side.

I had the same problem Shadowdog. Once it was over I thought, wow, that was good, but there was nothing particularly "pizazzy" or "wowing" about it. There weren't really many standout moments for me. But, like, it felt bigger than the sum of its parts, somehow, I can't quite put my finger on it. It just felt overall nicely orchestrated. But you're right. Nothing was really at stake for any of the characters except maybe the lady spy.

I felt the same, but to be honest have kinda felt the same through all the movies, might be the reason it's never as big a franchise as it could be. Pretty much agree with everything else you guys said, but would probably say Mad Max was the better action movie this year - but not sure if that's considered a summer blockbuster?

I hope in the next one that IMF doesn't get shut down again or Ethan goes rouge, cause they're doing that to death.

Yeah I pretty much had the same issue with all the MI movies. Must just be the overall approach to them or something. I will say that John Woo tried really hard to make us care about the love interest in his outting but given Hunt had just met her it was only marginally successful.

Awesome movie was awesome! I thought they would start to peter out with these IM movies after I first heard about a 5th one but this might be my favorite yet!

Agree about the girl spy in this, I really liked her. If they do a 6, I hope she comes back.

But I just had a thought! What if...these movies took place in the same world as the F&F series of movies? We could get a double sequel for both! The Fast & the Impossible! Mission: Furious!

I loved it! Very entertaining and fun action spy movie. Ever since J.J.Abrams took control of this franchise the movies have been great.

I loved part 1, but part 2 was so weak and god awful. Since part 3 they have been movies I look forward to seeing.

Best movies I have seen this summer are.

1. Mission Impossible 5

2. Avengers 2

3. Ant man

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bridgewife

Same here. I thought it was great brain candy. I enjoyed it immensely.

But brain candy is all it is. I walked out thinking "I enjoyed this a lot, why do I feel like it was missing something?" Then I realized it had no emotional core. I felt no connection with any of the characters.

What you didn't feel connected to the secretary? :rolleyes: That was so stupid - Ethan will stop at nothing b/c the terrorist killed the pretty girl!

I found the film to be incredibly predictable. It was ok for a popcorn flick, but I'll never need to see it again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.