Batman

Quetzalcoatl

Why don't comics just reboot every 20 years or so? That way, they could have the characters start out, have adventures, get older, pass on their mantles or die/whatever. That way, every generation could have their version they grew up with and older readers could enjoy fresh starts!

Most fans would lose their collective **** BECAUSE CONTINUITY. Comic fans are the worst about change.

It makes no sense to me why a lot of fans want there to be a sense of continuity but don't want any progression!

I get that these characters are always going to be associated with specific civilian IDs like Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne but we've seen instances where it worked. Wally West took over as Flash for 20 years and was arguably a better Flash than Barry had been. Even a lot of development with Flash and his powers were done with Wally as the main character. Plus, you get different takes, like with Grayson as Batman and Damian as Robin, where you have Batman being the lighter one and Robin being grim.

That's why I liked Marvels Ultimate line at first, they could take chances without that fan backlash. Funny that quite a bit of stuff from the Ultimate U was later incorporated into their main universe. Unfortunately, Marvel let Jeph Loeb take things a little too far and then we got Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum. :(

The latest issue does give that impression, but as far as I know, that isn't the case. It is, however, known in the current continuity that Wayne Industries funded Batman and provided his technology. That is a holdover from Morrison's Batman Inc. I think that connection between Bruce and Batman is what Gordon was talking about.

• 1 month later...

Sort of?

DCs new line is that the multiverse is back. I'm not sure which Earth it is exactly now, but for ages, all the Golden Age stories were considered to be Earth 2. Even though that's mostly considered the 50s, I think those stories are considered to be in the same canon as the pulp days.

Also, during Grant Morrison's run on Batman, he tried to condense all those eras of Batman lunacy into one man's regular life span. Some of the Golden Age was touched on.

That depends on who is writing him. Scott Snyder's Bruce in Batman is certainly quite fallible. In Batman and Robin, though, he took on Darkseid on Apokolips (with help, granted) to revive Damien. In Justice League, Geoff Johns is essentially sticking with ultimate badass Batman.

Basically, DC is stupid.

Since you're talking about the more recent DC screw-ups, I will hold back from beating you over the head with a rolled up copy of The Incredible Hulk #181.

Like I said, even my beloved Marvel has tanked. SOME of the random Secret Wars alternate reality stories are fun-- but they aren't staying and the new status quo when they wrap is going to make so many people unhappy. I really don't get why the looked at DC's continuity bullcrap and thought they should try to outdo it. I haven't dropped so many books since the 90s!

It is DC's chance now. Marvel is done, they are going with Star Wars as the next

• 2 months later...

Here's something I'm not getting. Dick Grayson was outed as Nightwing, right? And it seems to be common knowledge that he was a robin. So why hasn't anyone figured out that Bruce is Batman? Jim Gordon is teaming up with Grayson in the current Robin War story, and its made clear that Gordon knows Dick's history as Robin. The guy is a detective, and its never crossed his mind that mabye Bruce is Batman? What am I missing?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, but still, with so many connections now between Bruce Wayne and Batman, its hard to believe that anyone with a free afternoon on their hands can't sit down and put it all together and figure out that Bruce and Batman are one and the same.

Well, there's always this as an explanation....

• 7 years later...

Starting reading Batman comics again.  I quite a few years ago because I couldn't stomach Tom King's run.  Giving it another go now.  Anyone else reading?  I had no idea that Alfred's been dead for the past six years.  

You know what really bugs me about Batman comics nowadays?  When I started reading the comics in the early 90s, Batman was all the time saying things like "I work alone!" "I don't need a partner!  I don't need anyone!"  That's how I was introduced to the character, and it's still weird to see him surrounded by this extensive "Bat Family" that exist in the comics today.  There are a bunch of Robins.  There's Nighwing, Batwoman, Batgirl.  The list goes on and on.  Batman feels like a team book now.  I miss the solo Batman.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.