STAR WARS: Live Action on Netflix?

Doze

STAR WARS LIVE-ACTION TV UPDATE: NETFLIX BOUND!

July 29, 2015

We've broken some exciting news regarding a potential live-action Star Wars show in the past, and today brings an update on some of the progress of the potential show(s) and where they could be headed. Come inside to check it out!

I've sat on this news for a little bit in the hopes of learning something a tad more substantial. Sadly, I don't know about when I might hear more so I've decided to run this information as more of a "minor update" on the state of Star Wars TV rather than a meatier scoop for you guys.

Last we heard anything regarding a live-action Star Wars show, was back in March when reports were coming out that Disney was ramping up discussion on a live-action TV show set in the Star Wars universe. We exclusively revealed this was the case, but that Disney were currently in the process of trying to get the schedule down, as they hope to shoot the series between films in order to utilize the same sets.

As far as I know this is still the plan. As we've seen over the recent weeks, Disney/Lucasfilm have firmed up their schedules quite a bit, going so far as to reveal a release date for their SECOND Star Wars Anthologymovie, which will once again get back to the May release window. Basically, with schedules more firmly in place, they're looking more and more into their TV options.

Let's move on to the NEW information I've heard, from a couple of individual sources now. Disney is looking to continue their partnership with Netflix for their Star Wars shows. Yes, I said shows. I've heard there's talk ofpotentially three different live-action shows for Netflix, in much the same way Marvel has deals in place forDaredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, etc.

Because of the extreme success of Daredevil, Netflix is working with Disney on the cheap and more than happy to continue their relationship. For Lucasfilm this makes a lot of sense, as they want to keep the cinematic feel of the movies going with the TV shows. Netflix allows for such a presentation much better than network television, while also giving them a chance to explore stories and characters which otherwise might not be a good fit somewhere else.

While initial rumors surrounding Star Wars on TV pegged ABC or another Disney owned channel as being the likeliest spot for a series (like Agents of SHIELD), that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Let's look at the facts, Netflix and other online options are quickly overtaking regular TV. This year's Emmy nominations are absolutely PACKED with shows from non-traditional sources and in terms of revenue, Netflix is set to overtake network TV very shortly. It's the way the world is moving and Disney is great at keeping with current trends.

They already have a great relationship with Netflix that they intend to keep going (look at yesterday's news about their schedule for the Marvel shows), so why wouldn't they use it for Star Wars as well (especially since they already used the platform to release the final Clone Wars season) In terms of WHICH three shows they're considering, I have no idea, nor a time frame for when they want to start/introduce them. My guess would be a release in 2017, but that's a GUESS and nothing more.

Like I said, it's a smaller update on what's going on with live-action Star Wars TV plans and I wish I had some more information on what's in store. In the meantime some information is better than nothing and it's nice to hear that not only are live-action shows still being considered, but plans are starting to fall into place for them.

Link: http://www.cinelinx.com/tv/item/8034-star-wars-live-action-tv-update-netflix-bound-exclusive.html

I'll believe in the existence of a live-action Star Wars television show when the series finale airs, and not before. Too much rumor for too long and not enough evidence to make me believe such a thing will actually ever happen.

Without Lucas insisting every episodes needed 4 million dollars that he didn't want to pay more, it's a lot more likely. Disney is looking at the Marvel cash cow. Shared universe = big money. It's more likely now than ever.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'll believe in the existence of a live-action Star Wars television show when the series finale airs, and not before. Too much rumor for too long and not enough evidence to make me believe such a thing will actually ever happen.

Finally airs, or when the finale airs?

TV show = only a matter of time. Whether it's Netflix or not, I don't know. ABC seems a lot more likely. The Netflix move on Marvel's part was an intentional stab at a "mature" demographic, which the comics have a precident for. I don't know that Star Wars is an IP that would do that.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Since Disney owns ABC, I would tend to think they would air a Star Wars live action show on ABC before Netflix, unless Netflix is fronting the money for production, and just licensing Star Wars from Disney.

Netflix generally doesn't front much money, if any. They offer to do marketing and delivery. A lot of production companies are dying for Netflix deals because it basically removes one of the biggest enemies to creatives-- network and advertisers notes and concerns. This is also why Netflix has yet to have a BIG budget series. Even Marvel/Disney didn't spend a ton on Daredevil. It's scope is a fraction of the size as Agents of SHIELD.

The huge benefit of Netflix is that it allows for a different type of storytelling. That's the only reason I could see it happening over ABC.

I would love for this to happen but Disney knows a Star Wars TV show is big big ratings (at least at first), and I have to believe they would want that on their flagship ABC.

I could see them working out an exclusive netflix first-look deal where Netflix maybe gets to use the episodes a week after they air on ABC, though. That way they can still get the people that have cut cords and maybe Netflix does a little extra advertising for them.

Disney owns enough content and IP that I guarantee you that the Disney Channel and Disney XD will at some point have a stand alone streaming content app/service like Netflix or HBOGO. And if it was subscription based, one guess as to what would get people to sign up like gangbusters.

Netflix generally doesn't front much money, if any. They offer to do marketing and delivery. A lot of production companies are dying for Netflix deals because it basically removes one of the biggest enemies to creatives-- network and advertisers notes and concerns. This is also why Netflix has yet to have a BIG budget series. Even Marvel/Disney didn't spend a ton on Daredevil. It's scope is a fraction of the size as Agents of SHIELD.

To not put it on ABC would mean that Disney is looking at going out of the TV biz and that is not going to happen. Think that the chance of this only coming out on Netflix first is very small. The news for me here is, more talking about the Live action. And Sense8 is every bit as good as Shield, shooting all over the world would have to cost something.

Sense8 is deceptive. They shot with local crews and talent in individual countries which kept the cost down. And the Wachowskis bankrolled it to boot.

But yeah, ABC will be the first pick for Disney and super unlikely that they'd pass.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.