If everybody agrees that you are underrated... are you really underrated?

Pong Messiah

What sort of crazy hipster philosophical musing is this?

Oh, that band? Yawn. Yeah, I guess I was into them them when they were really underrated. Kind of.

For serious, I was actually thinking more along the lines of sports (when every sports announcer/host says "He's such an underrated player!" how is that person underrated?), and hipsters hate all sports outside of soccer and bowling, so....

Its no different then when the annoying commentators say every 30 seconds when a player makes a good play "he is probably the best at his position" then 30 seconds passes and another player of the same position makes a good play and they say the same thing.

By the time the game is over every player on the team is simply awesome.

An underrated player is someone who is not flashy and doesnt have out of this world stats per game but played a long time and was consistent at their skill and was a team player.

There are different ways of defining underrated. Another interpretation of underrated could be "plays above his pay grade." An example in hockey could be a solid, productive second line player getting paid relative to a third-liner (like 2M/yr).

Yet another interpretation could defined as skill relative to team depth. Keeping the same hockey example, that could mean a player with enough skill to play on the second line for most teams, but with a talented team with depth he is pushed down to the third.

Guest El Chalupacabra

If you are referring to sports, Pong, I think the buzzword term "underrated" is the new "phenomenal." Both are over used, and are just buzzwords to describe the new, or up and coming athlete.

What is the definition of "everyone"?

If everyone is the set of people who are aware of Player X and are valuing him/her as "underrated", then the question strikes me as meaningless. Player X is just popular with that set of people, and want to see his/her popularity rise.

If everyone literally means everyone in the world, then I don't know.

If everyone thinks a player is underrated its only because they have all been overrating him and have suddenly changed their mind. It usually happens after he has a breakout game and they just want to use a buzzword to get attention.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.