Uber!

Pong Messiah

That's actually a pretty reasonable answer.

And while Uber is hiring drivers left and right at the moment, its enemies never tire of breathlessly pointing out how it ultimately plans to move on to self-driving cars. But robocars will probably be affordable and won't avoid minority neighborhoods, soooo....

I'm having good time watching this debate play out among my friends. They are all pretty far left, but fairly evenly split on whether Uber is Satan or (for better or worse) The Future That Can't Be Fought.

Guest El Chalupacabra

My only problem with uber is that they are not required to carry the same insurance as cabs. The laws that apply to cabs, should apply to Uber and Lift. Once that is fixed, I have no problem.

My only problem with uber is that they are not required to carry the same insurance as cabs. The laws that apply to cabs, should apply to Uber and Lift. Once that is fixed, I have no problem.

Including the ADA, or do you agree with Uber that (paraphrasing) because they are a "technology company" that doesn't have a "fleet of taxis," it is exempt from the ADA?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Including the ADA, or do you agree with Uber that (paraphrasing) because they are a "technology company" that doesn't have a "fleet of taxis," it is exempt from the ADA?

I don't agree. They are using phraseology to skirt the law, IMHO. They use technology, sure, (e.g. the convenience of ordering a free-lance driver in their network via smart phone), but their purpose of using that technology is to provide a service which is transportation just like a cab service. What also kills that argument is that cab companies have begun to adopt smart phone apps similar to Uber, so does that make a cab company a technology company, now? No it doesn't.

Also, the laws simply have not caught up with this business model, as far as regulation. This also gives Uber an unfair advantage over taxi companies, since they don't have to comply with the same regulations, like carrying the same auto insurance as a taxi. As I understand it, the difference in price of insurances is huge: taxis have to carry a corporate insurance that covers a far greater amount for injury or death of passengers, whereas Uber drivers are only required to carry their state's minimum vehicle insurance for private drivers. SO, if an Uber driver gets in an accident, their fault or the other driver, you are screwed. What if the Uber driver has like lowest liability coverage and he's at fault? What if it is the other driver, and they have no insurance at all? Or worst, what if the Uber driver is at fault, with no insurance?

I would have to check for sure, but I think Uber drivers go through Uber training, but aren't required to get chauffeurs licenses. If that is the case, then that is another unfair advantage for Uber driver. This is yet another expense that taxi drivers must bear, but Uber drivers don't.

So, this is why I think the laws need to catch up, or existing laws governing taxis need to be amended to cover companies like Uber. This will level the playing field, and protect passengers. Once that is done, I say let the best business win, but until then, I think Uber is unfairly benefiting and also putting passengers at risk.

I'm fairly certain that Uber now provides some additional insurance for their drivers while they have a passenger. The area where it is super gray is when they're driving around waiting for passengers. Uber says if you aren't carrying a passenger, you aren't working for them, even if you're driving around logged into the app waiting for someone. There was a case a couple years ago where the driver killed someone in that situation and had minimal insurance.

Not to mention, even if you have insurance, if you're driving someone around for pay and acting as a taxi, your personal auto insurance ain't payin' a dime.

^Human or robot? Hawking and Musk are waving their arms decrying the development of AI. I bet the first robocar with an artificially intelligent system will go berserk and kill all the passengers it picks up. Whether it will deliver the dead bodies to their original destination is the question....

I'm of two minds with Uber.

Generally speaking, I like change. Less generally, I like change spurred by technology. Specifically, I like the concept behind Uber and the freedom fries of the "gig economy" (even if it is exploitative and doesn't actually exist).

That said, I really don't like people (to paraphrase Chalupa's point) taking advantage of laws and regulations that haven't adapted to their behavior yet... then acting like freedom fighters when others (who are forced to play by the old rules) say "What gives?" That is laaaaame.

Look Weekend bus schedules suck and having a sober driver available to pick you up at bars when you're a douche who couldn't get lucky is a good thing. Handicapped people that have to resort to using Uber to get somewhere are and should be aware the driver who shows up may not be able to accommodate them but they need that ride.

Pong, I kinda hate humanity so really **** the handicapped. It is the owners car and he can offer rides to whomever he wants. Über is a niche ride type thing like Craigslist for rides but you use your telephone to arrange it. I mean do Zorb ball people or zip liners or amusement parks have to accept every rider?

I hate humanity, too, but am OK with businesses having to make reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities.

Regarding amusement parks, iirc, there was a case against Universal Studios because one of their rides required riders to have at least one functioning arm and leg. Two people sued because they weren't allowed to ride, and the court told them to take a hike. The weird thing was that the law said Universal Studios had to provide access to the ride (wheelchair ramps, I believe?), but because of safety and manufacturer specs, they weren't obliged to let the two disabled people actually ride.

I'd like to see that kind of thing addressed, because it seems, well, ridiculous to require access to a ride somebody can't actually get on. I do think everyday things people may have to do as a course of normal working and recreational life (shopping, transportation services, movies and other entertainment) should provide access for for people with disabilities, but the line between "reasonable accommodations" and "Now you're just being an idiot" can seem blurry at times.

But how can a handicapped person not use a car? I mean they can sit right? Unless they're tied to a special motorized chair like Hawkings I really don't see what the issue is. If not pubic transportation is available for the handicapped at discounted pricing in most major cities. I know a guy who's legally blind and it costs him $1.50 for a personal public transport person to show up and pick him up after bus schedules close down to give him a ride home from work. My city provides this service to people who are disabled such as wheelchair bound people or the blind at a discount. You just have to schedule them in advance.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.