Gardening help

monkeygirl

GATDAMMIT!!

So, as most of you know, I've moved out of my beloved house and into a ghetto apartment. I no longer have gardens

to tend to but I have a 6 X 16 foot deck and I'm trying to grow stuff onnit. Thing is, it never gets any sun. Even

at the solstice, it gets nothing direct because it faces NNW and there's a Japanese maple in front of it, so when the

sun moves north enough to reach my place, the leaves keep direct light off the deck.

I bought mostly begonias but also brought some things from my ex-house. Those aren't doing well-most are hostas that

had been in the ground and hadn't seen direct light after 10am, but they had gotten morning summer light and had all

the room they wanted to grow.

The things that are doing okay are PUNY. New flowers/growth is laughable and this is on both the things I bought

and those I brought up from Tacoma. I also bought a fuchsia basket and a gorgeous pink and hot pink begonia basket

and the fuchsia is the only thing that looks anywhere near decent. I have FERNS that are just surviving. FERNS!

I put perennials in my window boxes on the rail-bleeding heart, a few New g. Impatiens, ferns and a hosta. They're all

growing but WAY reaching for light and getting leggy. Even a big coleus is reaching up.

tha fuck do I do?? There's nothing that does better in the shade O'm overlooking, right? And even if I could afford the

electric bill, I don't think installing grow lights would make that big a difference without making my deck look

like a soccer field at night.

HEP MWE PLZ

Guest El Chalupacabra

And here I thought if MG had a hobby, it would be being an expert at growing chronic. Who knew MG had the black thumb of death?

It's odd-I can grow almost anything, but I have a few...'talents'. I can kill bamboo easily and I cannot grow basil. They give 5 year-olds basil

to grow. It dies on me. I will grow my own weed just as soon as I buy my next house.

So, I considered air plants but cacti need major sun. I have about 8 Christmas cactus plants and a couple orchid ferns, but they're not very big.

Couple things I haven't tried-asparagus and Boston ferns. They're just so pedestrian and uninteresting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.