Hero Diner Owner Shouts at Noisy Toddler, Selfish Parents and Weaklings Cry Foul

Pong Messiah

I do think the Facebook thing totally got out of control. The customer is not always right but you should not go all out bonkers on it.

As for screaming kids in public. I HATE it. I am paying for a meal that I could probably have made at home but chose to go out instead and your kids ear piercing screams are killing the mood of just relaxing and enjoying this. My parents used to ask for the meal to go and taken us all home and would have been thoroughly embarrassed.

They are grill hogs because of the size and the grill has to be uber clean otherwise you get pancakes with gunk in them. They are the at home dad go to food because they're so easy to make but in a restaurant during breakfast rush you better hope you have two grills to work on.

Sorry. Pong. Pancakes are like the easiest breakfast food to make in bulk quickly. I can't fathom a restaurant not serving them on weekends because of the "hassle".

Easy at home, a hassle in a busy restaurant without a ton of griddle space. Ms. Spam explains:

They are grill hogs because of the size and the grill has to be uber clean otherwise you get pancakes with gunk in them. They are the at home dad go to food because they're so easy to make but in a restaurant during breakfast rush you better hope you have two grills to work on.

Larger chain restaurants like IHOP have no prob churning out hundreds of pancakes an hour, because they have bigger kitchens, and it's part of the regular routine, cause people are more likely to order pancakes at cheap n' trashy establishments for whatever reason. A lot of the best breakfast/brunch places are on the smaller side, though, and already have ridiculous wait times on the weekend even without having to dedicate griddle space to pancakes (space that could be used for more common orders, like eggs, sausage, bacon, etc.). The pancakes themselves don't take long to cook, but man, do they slow down all your other orders.

:eek:

Our food experience pays off. I'm pretty sure that International Outhouse as I call IHOP cooks up a bunch of them and just keeps them in a warmer and slaps them on a plate. Ew. Give me WAFFLES (which can turn into a which is better cake or pie/pancakes or waffles debate).

Me or Pong?

Sorry. Pong. Pancakes are like the easiest breakfast food to make in bulk quickly. I can't fathom a restaurant not serving them on weekends because of the "hassle".

When was the last time you made several hundred pancakes at home?

which can turn into a which is better cake or pie/pancakes or waffles debate

I'm gonna try and have it both ways, Spammy.

Waffles are better in general. Prefer the texture and they have flavor pockets.

That being said, when you start getting fancy, the best pancake is probably better than the best waffle.

So, 9/10 the waffle wins, but in the hands of a true artiste, all bets are off!

:eek:

What a nightmare. Shame on useless parents not keeping their demon child quiet in public. They clearly didn't like being given an ultimatum and just sat there using there demon child as some kind of sonic weapon against the tyranny of the evil fascist diner manager, ignorant of the casualties resulting from the nearby peaceful patrons' dissatisfaction.

The parents suck. The manager sucks too, but the parents sucked first.

Wow, in related news, this is the best:

Restaurant bans children after too many toddler tantrums... but still allows dogs.

I love that he allows dogs but not children. More restaurants need to do this!

"What we have is a situation where the other customers ... have to put up with the inconvenience of a screaming child or a child that is spilling food on the floor or breaking glassware," Flynn said.

"We just decided enough was enough.

"We're not child haters, we're not anti-children. We just want those who can't control their kids in a public setting to go elsewhere."

Well said, sir!

He said between 5 and 10 per cent of customers brought young children to the restaurant, and of those children, most misbehaved.

This, I am not sure I agree with. Unless parents have gotten lazier since I was a server, I wouldn't say it's "most" or even close to "most."

Children are messy and make stupid noises they can't help, but at least in my experience, most were not actually misbehaving (e.g. epic screaming, breaking stuff, running around unsupervised).

Yes, small children don't have much say in what they do, and they don't have many communication skills beyond crying or laughing. Of course, they'll grow out of it (probably). In the mean time, bringing your kid(s) to a restaurant and letting them scream for any length of time, or just talk very loudly in gibberish, is annoying. Only parents find their own kid cute enough to put up with that shit. Hell, that's why we're genetically conditioned to find infants' features "cute". Who would take care of a squalling, drooling, stinking baby if they weren't compelled to by Mother Nature itself?

Me or Pong?

At home? The most I've ever made was probably 50 or so.

The last time I made several hundred? Last October. Pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, breakfast potatoes, and migas for 250.

Look, I have a very large family, and we're often charged with feeding them at random events. Probably because my mom and sister used to have a catering company. I'm not talking out of my ass here. But even my husband who's worked in many, many restaurants can't imagine how a diner would have such an issue cranking out pancakes or any breakfast food. We're not talking about someone's house here. It's a diner. A place that sells food all day every day. If they're not equipped to crank out a few dozen pancakes (let's be honest, it's a small diner, there weren't 200 people there), then why have them on the menu?

I think it's just more reasonable that the diner owner is whacked.

Age is protected against discrimination laws. Banning children is age discrimination. How did they get away with doing that?

Because it was in Australia.

They are a little slow on the gay marriage thing, but aside from that, Australia, like all countries, is more elegant, civilized, and simply superior to 'merica.

If they're not equipped to crank out a few dozen pancakes (let's be honest, it's a small diner, there weren't 200 people there), then why have them on the menu?

Because they keep, and people buy pancakes during the week when they don't cause too much wait rage among your patrons. Nothing wrong with serving pancakes when there isn't a long wait for people to be seated.

People are generally crankier in the morning, and are rarely happy to wait 30+ minutes for a table even in the best of times. As an owner, your options are to increase wait times in order to cater to a minority of people who order pancakes or spend a lot of money to increase cooking space. Why would you increase wait times or spend money that is only going to be an attractant to customers with underdeveloped palates? Even if there are economic benefits to be had, some trade-offs just aren't worth it.

Me or Pong?

At home? The most I've ever made was probably 50 or so.

The last time I made several hundred? Last October. Pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, breakfast potatoes, and migas for 250.

Look, I have a very large family, and we're often charged with feeding them at random events. Probably because my mom and sister used to have a catering company. I'm not talking out of my ass here. But even my husband who's worked in many, many restaurants can't imagine how a diner would have such an issue cranking out pancakes or any breakfast food. We're not talking about someone's house here. It's a diner. A place that sells food all day every day. If they're not equipped to crank out a few dozen pancakes (let's be honest, it's a small diner, there weren't 200 people there), then why have them on the menu?

I think it's just more reasonable that the diner owner is whacked.

Oh, the diner owner is off her rocker, no doubt. Usually people who say what everyone else is merely thinking are "whacked" in one way or another.

So, I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation, based on my poor estimates of grill size and typical pancake dimensions, and figure a diner grill could make a dozen pancakes at once (assuming a nice 8-inch diameter hotcake and a grill that's about a yard across). If a short stack is 3 pancakes, and a regular stack is 5 cakes, then she could fill 3 or 4 orders simultaneously, if no one ordered anything else. Probably have to make some eggs and hashbrowns, too, (what's a stack of pancakes without sides? Mmmmm, bacon....), so maybe she could make half-a-dozen pancakes at once? Say 10 people ordered short stacks, that's 30 pancakes to make. If made in batches of 5, that's 6 different batches to prepare. That could take, what, 15 minutes total?

That was fun, but not the point.

The point is - no one likes screaming children. And nature made it that way on purpose. Screaming children are meant to attract attention from adults. Ignoring it politely, as most people do, is an unnatural effort.

Here's what we did:

1. At home, tantrums resulted in him being put in his room until he decided to throw said tantrum, and he was ignored outside of being told he couldn't leave his room.

2. In public, such behavior resulted in immediate removal to our car with one of us.

That easy.

ALL KIDS throw tantrums. It's not because kid are ****ty, it's because developmentally, that's what they do because they don't have the tools to communicate or deal with emotions yet and it's frustrating. Some kids are most definitely worse than others.

That said, other people shouldn't have to put up with it so you remove them.

The former Mrs. Driver/Tank and I had a lot of solo meals while the other waited in a car. But it worked. Most times, he was excited to be at a restaurant so the threat of removal often made him chill out.

Such events happened every now and then for a few years, then they stopped.

No whacking was ever required and he's very well behaved and adjusted now. No restaurant managers ever yelled at us. Any dirty looks thrown our way were brief when they realized we were going to rectify the problem.

This is the kind of thing I mean when I say I'm all for discipline but it has to start early and the kid has to know you will follow through.

That's why I blame the parents in this case. It wasn't til one of my BFFs had a kid that I was taught that kids pitch fits because they have an

issue they can't control. It makes sense now, but for years I just thought most kids were brats.

This-to me-is CLEARLY the failing of the parents and since the parents were doingt nothing, why NOT the restuarant owner?

Here's what we did:

1. At home, tantrums resulted in him being put in his room until he decided to throw said tantrum, and he was ignored outside of being told he couldn't leave his room.

2. In public, such behavior resulted in immediate removal to our car with one of us.

That easy.

ALL KIDS throw tantrums. It's not because kid are ****ty, it's because developmentally, that's what they do because they don't have the tools to communicate or deal with emotions yet and it's frustrating. Some kids are most definitely worse than others.

That said, other people shouldn't have to put up with it so you remove them.

The former Mrs. Driver/Tank and I had a lot of solo meals while the other waited in a car. But it worked. Most times, he was excited to be at a restaurant so the threat of removal often made him chill out.

Such events happened every now and then for a few years, then they stopped.

No whacking was ever required and he's very well behaved and adjusted now. No restaurant managers ever yelled at us. Any dirty looks thrown our way were brief when they realized we were going to rectify the problem.

This is the kind of thing I mean when I say I'm all for discipline but it has to start early and the kid has to know you will follow through.

That's why I blame the parents in this case. It wasn't til one of my BFFs had a kid that I was taught that kids pitch fits because they have an

issue they can't control. It makes sense now, but for years I just thought most kids were brats.

This-to me-is CLEARLY the failing of the parents and since the parents were doingt nothing, why NOT the restuarant owner?

Well mostly because the diner owner didn't actually do anything to help. Just scare the kid into silence.

Honestly, along with the other patrons, the kid is the only "innocent" party. He/she was just doing what every other kid does the only way he/she knew how, and his/her parents completely failed him/her.

A screaming child is in distress. Screeching and cursing at such a young person is only going to do so much, but not actually solve anything because no matter how annoying the screaming is, it's still just a symptom of the underlying issue that's not being addressed.

The mom says that the kid wasn't screaming and that nobody said anything to them at all until the owner threw boxes at them.

Based on the Facebook post threatening violence, I believe the mom and would gladly go to the diner solely to dine and dash because the owner is insane and should not be allowed to interact with people.

Prior to having a child, I would have reacted far less favorably toward the diner. And the person threatening violence is ALWAYS wrong.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.