James Holmes Guilty!

Ms. Spam

What I don't understand is what motivated this guy. He was smart enough to know that he was gonna get caught, smart enough to know he was gonna either rot in jail or get the chair, and yet he did it anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he was planning on dying like so many others have. I just don't get it.

He is severely mentally ill. THAT's what motivated him. Do you guys really not understand what that means, all LOLZ aside?

Insanity is a tough one though isn't it.

I mean.. you'd have to be insane to voluntarily dye your hair that shade of l'orange right? But even with that level of insanity, that don't mean your so insane you're not cognizant of the fact shooting a bunch of people in a cinema is a no-no. And it doesn't mean you're not responsible cause you didn't take the [insert anti-psychotic pharmaceutical here].*

*note: I do not mean to demonize people who are on "anti-psychotic" medication. Those two terms scream with negative connotations that they do not deserve. Or more accurately: the people who have whatever condition that requires said medication do not deserve such negative connotations.

All that said. Who is the bigger psychopath. This guy or Dylan Roof?

Is there a contest?

Whether he was mentally ill or not I would love to know what his thought process was. Too often we dismiss strange behavior by saying the person is crazy. What I want to know is why he did it and what he thought the consequences would be.

It's really a moot point to argue whether or not he should get the death penalty. Neither option fits the severity of the crime, whether he's mentally ill or not.

I know that may sound cold, MG, but you can't let this guy off for simply being a whacko. For a crime of this magnitude you have to set an example, because if you don't you'll only encourage others to commit similar crimes.

Actually some states have firing squad as an option.

2010 was the last time someone opted for firing squad I believe.

It has been used in the past and up until the end of WWII by the military. In 2014 it was considered a viable option to lethal injection.

Here is an article. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/28/return-firing-squad-us-states-execution-methods

The 3 meals a day, healthcare, plumbing, lights, for the rest of his natural life is the thing I question.

A guy like Holmes based on his crimes needs to be put to sleep because he is not worthy of those resources any longer.

Look I am not going to change any minds but this is my position on a person who has committed multiple murders and shows no remorse for it either.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Whether he was mentally ill or not I would love to know what his thought process was. Too often we dismiss strange behavior by saying the person is crazy. What I want to know is why he did it and what he thought the consequences would be.

I can understand that from a curiosity point of view. But honestly, I don't think we would learn much beyond the guy was disturbed, selfish, and simply did it because he could. That is the very definition of senseless, if you ask me, and you will never be able to adequately explain senseless acts, no matter how much studying goes on. We live in a society that encourages introspection and self reflection. We like to study, classify, and try to explain human behavior. But sometimes, there are going to be cases where there is no adequate explanation. There are people out there that just commit evil acts because they can. Maybe this guy was an example, but sometimes maybe there are cases in which SSRI medication either fails them or works opposite to how they are intended for some young adult males with certain brain chemistries . Maybe this guy really did hear voices. But really, at the end of the day, those 12 people are still dead, and there is no way any of that can be explained away enough for me to not feel Holmes deserves to be executed. I believe Holmes, even if mentally ill, knew right from wrong, that he did premeditate this mass murder, and that I think it is very likely he is either faking or exaggerating (under his lawyer's advice) is mental condition, in an effort to game the system. And for that, I think he deserves the death penalty, and they need to just put him on death row. They can do all the studying of James Holmes there, up until his execution date. Mind you, I say that as someone who formerly believed the death penalty should be phased out of existence, but has come to believe that it should be kept in place after all, due to crimes like this.

I hear you, but a big part of me would love to sit down with him and simply ask "dude, what the fuck were you thinking" and hear what he has to say. I wouldn't be that way with a Dylan Roof type. We know what his dumbass motive was and that he planned on killing himself. Holmes was different because he planned on getting caught, which means that he could somehow justify the killings and the punishment that followed.

I know I might just get a blank stare or an "I don't know why I did it" but I would love to simply ask him and see what he has to say.

I'll further add that I know guys like Holmes, guys that are so pissed at the world and totally convinced that the world is conspiring against them. They'll never act on it, though, because they don't want to go to jail. Holmes basically said "fuck it". I don't see how someone gets to that point.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.