James Holmes Guilty!

Ms. Spam

Yeah, yeah. He clearly is impaired. He doesn't seem like a flight risk from prison. I don't know about the loose definition of "do some experimental stuff on"

but if anyone fits the insanity plea, it's this guy. Keep him confined for the crime, but not in a general prison population.

I disagree with executing someone so mentally ill unless he is a risk to society.

I'm sorry. Do you really not consider this guy a risk to society? I mean, do you think he's cured from shooting up a public building for no reason? One and done, huh?

He isn't likely to be able to escape, so no, as long a he is imprisoned he's not a risk.

It costs more to execute than it does to house. And I agree with

getting some sort of study out of people like this but I'm unclear

on methods, so I can't fully advcoate that because I don't know what

I'm talking about.

A bullet is alot cheaper than a lifetime of prison. Hell. I will even donate the bullet. No charge!

Well this is one guy they need to do some experimental stuff on and figure out why he was bat **** crazy then execute him once the study is concluded.

I do not think he is insane. He would not be the first murderer to play "insane" as away of escaping the death penalty or life in prison. From the hair dye, to the bug-eyed mug shots, it comes off as the same game played by innumerable killers just to save their own asses.

Insanity is a tough one though isn't it.

I mean.. you'd have to be insane to voluntarily dye your hair that shade of l'orange right? But even with that level of insanity, that don't mean your so insane you're not cognizant of the fact shooting a bunch of people in a cinema is a no-no. And it doesn't mean you're not responsible cause you didn't take the [insert anti-psychotic pharmaceutical here].*

*note: I do not mean to demonize people who are on "anti-psychotic" medication. Those two terms scream with negative connotations that they do not deserve. Or more accurately: the people who have whatever condition that requires said medication do not deserve such negative connotations.

All that said. Who is the bigger psychopath. This guy or Dylan Roof?

What makes him not likely to be able to escape?

Reality.

The reason the recent prison break was big news is the fact that it doesn't happen frequently.

The reality, Fozzie, is that thousands of violent criminals escape every day; these criminals rarely even bother changing out of their jumpers before going on their next raping and burgling spree. They often just pass out, bloated on crime joy, and are picked up and brought back in by authorities before waking up. The current system is a travesty.

I'm talking about.

Tami. How is it cheaper to keep him alive for the length of his life? I mean sure there is the option for appeal and we may not get to execute him for years but I think death is cheaper. Oddly I think it costs more to house and feed an inmate than I made my first year teaching. I am neither pro or con death penalty but lately with some of these shooters I kinda lean towards it.

How is it cheaper to keep him alive for the length of his life?

Depending on the state, death penalty cases cost 0.5 - 4 times more than cases where the death penalty is not sought. Housing death row prisoners costs a lot more, too, I believe, and they are no doubt more appeals (do people sentenced to death ever not appeal?)...

What I don't understand is what motivated this guy. He was smart enough to know that he was gonna get caught, smart enough to know he was gonna either rot in jail or get the chair, and yet he did it anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he was planning on dying like so many others have. I just don't get it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

What I don't understand is what motivated this guy. He was smart enough to know that he was gonna get caught, smart enough to know he was gonna either rot in jail or get the chair, and yet he did it anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he was planning on dying like so many others have. I just don't get it.

I think its very possible he planned on suicide by cop, and didn't plan on getting caught. Personally, I don't care what his motive was. All I am concerned with is if his guilt is 100%, and I only support the death penalty in extreme cases of murder or heinousness. Crazy or not, this crime took premeditation. There is no question Holmes committed the crime and i think he deserves the death penalty. It would be a different story if we weren't absolutely 100% sure Holmes was the shooter, but that isn't the case here. Holmes might have been mentally ill, but I think he also knew right from wrong and planned this shooting, and given he's a convicted mass murderer, he should be put to death, or at least deserves to be.

I'm talking about.

A bullet is alot cheaper than a lifetime of prison. Hell. I will even donate the bullet. No charge!

Not sure if you're aware but that's not how it works in the USA justice system.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.