Are there people who you hate working with?

Ms. Spam

I mean really hate?

I know it is a strong word and I think we should all learn to work with each other.

But boy do I hate working with this one particular person. She bails out all the time on commitments. Never finishes what she says she'll do and leaves me high and dry but is not afraid to come up and ask for a favor. I don't like being stuck carrying the ball all the way.

There are two people at my job that I hate working with. One is technically my supervisor (on paper at least) but I almost never deal with her. She is volatile and evil and one of the nastiest people I've ever met. She's pretty much a secretary but she's on this insane power trip. I'm hoping she flips out on me sometime so I can file a complaint. Alas, the cold steely glares I give her in the hallway seem to be enough to fend her off.

The other one thinks she's my boss the way she orders me around but luckily my actual boss runs interference. She still talks down to me and constantly questions my work, but she has no control so she's basically a squeaky wheel with absolutely no grease. I go out of my way to deny even simple requests just so she knows she's not in charge.

I've got 2 work "types" of people that piss me off.

Lazy - I'll even take stupid over lazy, as long as they work hard. We had a woman who literally spent her entire day on facebook and the internet and never actually did anything. The opportunity for layoffs finally came up, and she was one of 3 people let go.

People who throw others under the bus to make themselves look better, or take all the credit for other people's work - this type is unfortunately fairly common in engineering. It's pretty self-explanatory, and somehow they seem to tie together into the same behavior. I think it's called a jerk, in layman's terms.

Right now there is this punk kid who took my old job when I went out on maternity leave, and somehow, when our manager left for a new job, he got made the acting manager despite barely being old enough to wipe his own butt. Now he is back to just being a supervisor, and I'm a supervisor again the other half of the team, but he keeps thinking he can order me around and take my people to do his work. Everyone is ready to pop his head like a zit. Our new manager seems to just have infinite patience with him, but occasionally he lets slip that the things he does is frustrating, too. Somehow he keeps turning his screw-ups into victories. He is this close to getting his team sent to another organization because somehow he has made our team look so bad with his ineptitude, that it's getting blamed on our senior management and the higher-ups are threatening to just take his team so they can direct them themselves. So punk kid might be getting a manager job, and he is positively gleeful about it. I'm so angry I could spit. On the bright side, I'd probably never see him again. On the other hand, he'll take some people I genuinely like working with him, and probably continue to make their lives miserable.

Man, I'm lucky. I've had idiotic, crazy, addicted, even violent co-workers, but really nobody who made my life miserable on a regular basis.

Probably the closest to "hate" I've ever come to was when a new head manager came in to a restaurant I was working at, and tried to "bring us up to speed."

Aside from the insulting "you guys suck, but I'm gonna make us champions" rah-rah opening speech, was the fact that this guy was completely uncreative; he had zero ability to improvise or adjust his approach, and was utterly lost when faced with unforeseen challenges. And of course, what the corporate handbook says is quite a bit different than the realities of working in an ancient, run-down, several-times-remodeled building, so things not working "like they should" and unforeseen trouble was inevitable. Many of the correct, by-the-book stuff he did made absolutely no sense in the context and architecture of our workplace, backfired, and/or pissed off the staff -- but of course he always blamed the staff for not trying hard enough and being closed off to change (or maybe they, having worked there for much longer, knew how ridiculous many of his suggestions were).

He did somehow get the temps in the salad bar to drop 2-3 degrees so we'd be back within acceptable temps, I'll give him that, but the guy was just a dumb bot with no business directing people or working outside of strict, cookie-cutter parameters.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I hate the "that's not my job/responsibility/department" people.

I hate the "Drop everything and help me NOOOOOWWWWW cuz I'm ME, and I don't care what department I'm supposed actually to go to, and the fact it's not even REMOTELY your job to do" people, myself.

I prefer the people who politely no in the hall over people who talk.

And don't get me started on "people" who walk on the left side of the hallway. I don't know why I even bother not punching them.

At my old job I despised people I worked with who are smokers who think they were"entitled" to go on a smoke break every half hour.

Freaking annoying.

Heh. They were remodeling our school for the last year and half and found a pack of cigarettes and a dried up lighter from what had to be the 60s in a hole in the wall. Back then teachers could smoke in the classroom while they taught!

Talkers. We have one guy who never ever shuts up and thinks he needs to tell everybody every single detail about each case he is working on. He can't be quiet for more than 10 minutes at a time and laughs at his own jokes. He's such a dick.

Also people who can't make a decision for themselves and have to get everything checked before they do it 'just in case'. YOU'VE BEEN WORKING HERE FOR THREE YEARS, YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS SHIT BY NOW.

OH. People who call you to answer an email. JUST HIT REPLY AND TELL ME THERE. Or people who call to let you know they sent you an email. Dudes, I have Outlook open all the damn time. If I'm at my desk to receive a call, I have seen that you emailed me.

Actually I just hate people who use the phone in general. And voicemails. Ugh. Just email me, okay?

I may be somewhat of an introvert.

I don't even have my office phone regularly connected. It's tied to our e-mail accounts, though, so if someone calls, I get an e-mail (that contains a voicemail if they leave one). If it is someone I need to talk to, I set it back up and call them. Fortunately, this only happens about once or twice per year. The rest of the time, we talk in person or via e-mail.

This doesn't include research collaborators, though, who I talk with on my cell phone if we need to discuss our projects. I consider those a bit of a different case, though, since we often do need to talk about things where e-mail wouldn't suffice and we're spread throughout the country.

I generally dislike the phone, though. The only people I talk to regularly on it are my parents and my brother, who live far from me, so it is the only way to easily stay in touch. Even other people, like my good friends and roommates from college, that I want to keep in touch with, I don't pick up the phone to call.

I don't think that you can really tie a preferred method of communication to a personality type.

Introvert-extrovert means jack when it comes to how you like to communicate. I'm an introvert but I probably spend 6 hours out of every work day on the phone, because it's the nature of my job. I handle homeowners claims from the office, so I have to rely on others to be my eyes and ears. Email is the most annoying form of communication for that type of work unless it's very specific documentation that I need, because otherwise I ask a question, you respond and I have 20 follow ups. So I prefer the phone, but I still need my time away from people to recharge.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.