Where's the suicide squad thread

Durty D

Generic-- but fun! It'll probably blow, but at least it's going all out.

As I said on FB-- when the only DC movie that seems to have any joy or sense of fun is the one about the bad guys, they're not doing it right.

It depends on how far Margot Robbie and Jared Leto take the movie. When you say "fun" it's pretty much those two. Maybe Katana a little bit too.

But everyone else seems like they're in a bland Expendables/Fast and Furious wannabe movie with super powers tossed in.

Totally looking forward to Harley Quinn done right. I just don't hold out much hope for the rest of them.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I will probably catch this movie on netflix, if the buzz is good.

DC hasn't impressed me in the movies since TDK. MOS was lame. Batfleck VS Superdude looks like a mess. Suicide Squad looks like it could be interesting, but I am indifferent right now.

I saw like 7 seconds of Wonder Woman and wasn't sad once. Maybe they figured something out?

It looks like Girl Captain America with a sword to me. Could be interesting, maybe even decent. Cap did surprise me, and I liked it even more on a second watch. So who knows. Maybe WW will do the same. Then again, it could be crap.

Guest madddox

I don't know what everyone else is seeing, but this trailer made me really interested in this movie. Jai Courtney, dare I say it, actually seems like he's having fun. Same goes for most of the cast (minus Will Smith). This looks pretty crazy and in slightly tongue-in-cheek way that I predict will make it a really fun movie.

I feel like I'm actually looking forward to this more than BvS...

• 2 months later...

New Suicide Squad trailer. This was a little underwhelming to me, but I think it's only because the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer is one of the best trailers I've ever seen. I'm very intrigued by this. I grew up reading the Ostrander run in the 80's, so this one is pretty near and dear.

Jared Leto looks like he's eating this part alive. I somewhat suspect that Jai Courtney is gonna run away with this movie. But I have no idea what Margot Robbie is doing. Also, Will Smith is there. Dressed as Deadshot.

Word is WB is spending $10 million on reshoots of Suicide Squad. Apparently, the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer contained pretty much the only funny moments, and BvS's negative reception has them worried. Hopefully, they are trying for a more Deadpool like feel to the film.

One thing I suspect is that if Suicide Squad fails the same way BvS did, that's it for the entire premise of the DC Cinematic Universe.

New Suicide Squad trailer. This was a little underwhelming to me, but I think it's only because the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer is one of the best trailers I've ever seen.

I actually think I like this one better. I'm still somewhat skeptical of the final product, but the marketing department is completely earning their paychecks on this. Still love the color scheme of it all too.

Word is WB is spending $10 million on reshoots of Suicide Squad. Apparently, the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer contained pretty much the only funny moments, and BvS's negative reception has them worried. Hopefully, they are trying for a more Deadpool like feel to the film.

And that's why I'm skeptical. Warner Bros. doesn't seem to have a clue what to do with their comic book heroes other than get lucky that Nolan's second Batman movie was awesome.

Apparently, they were going to double down on the whole dark and gritty thing when subversive was called for. People would NOT have been happy with that bait and switch.

All big movies do reshoots and pickups after initial testing. All of them.

Especially superhero movies. Also, I really have no problem with this one being dark and gritty because this property is dark and gritty. My problem with D&G is when you impose that sort of tone on something...like say, Superman...that shouldn't be D&G. I hope they nail this one. It would be great of Warner Bros. figured out that DC's major strength is in their villains (whereas Marvel's major weakness is their villains). They keep thinking that they need to crack some kind of code with their heroes, like Green Lantern or Superman. What they should be doing is keeping those characters simple and saving all the weight for the adversaries.

Not all, but while reshoots are not uncommon, the amount of money being spent is. 10 million is a LOT for a reshoot. Furthermore, they specifically stated that they are doing the reshoots to lighten the tone of the movie based upon the positive reception of the trailer, and likely the backlash over Batman v Superman

Especially superhero movies. Also, I really have no problem with this one being dark and gritty because this property is dark and gritty. My problem with D&G is when you impose that sort of tone on something...like say, Superman...that shouldn't be D&G. I hope they nail this one. It would be great of Warner Bros. figured out that DC's major strength is in their villains (whereas Marvel's major weakness is their villains). They keep thinking that they need to crack some kind of code with their heroes, like Green Lantern or Superman. What they should be doing is keeping those characters simple and saving all the weight for the adversaries.

Agreed. Marvel's best villains are Doctor Doom and Magneto, both of whom are tied up with Fox (Although with the way Fantastic Four bombed last year, maybe Fox will agree to give the characters back to Marvel, or at least come to an agreement like with Sony). Whereas DC has the Joker and the rest of Batman's rogues Gallery, Darkseid, the Flash's rogues gallery, Sinestro, Vandal Savage, Deathstroke, etc. Suicide Squad is a step in the right direction for DC, by focusing on their villains, which is where the real strength of thier universe is found.

Not all, but while reshoots are not uncommon, the amount of money being spent is. 10 million is a LOT for a reshoot. Furthermore, they specifically stated that they are doing the reshoots to lighten the tone of the movie based upon the positive reception of the trailer, and likely the backlash over Batman v Superman

Again though people are acting like this is a bad thing when I think it's actually positive.

Again though people are acting like this is a bad thing when I think it's actually positive.

I agree that it's a positive. Mostly, I'm just endlessly amused at the possibility that WB is looking at BvS's reception, and is melting down over it. With luck, this will lead them to kick Snyder and Goyer to the curb, and appoint people who DON'T think that GRIMDARK angsting equals serious, legitimate cinema.

$10m is not that much. Half of that is Will Smith's salary for a week. Considering the budget was $250 million, $10 on reshoots is nothing.

I just did rewrites and pick ups for a $2m movie and the reshoots are going to be almost $1m.

The amount of money being spent doesn't mean anything about the quality of the movie. It could mean it sucks and they need to fix it, or it could mean it tested so well that they decided to let the director have back a couple sequences cut for budget the first time around.

I'm not saying it isn't a positive development. It's just more evidence that they really don't have a clue what they're doing.

$10m is not that much. Half of that is Will Smith's salary for a week. Considering the budget was $250 million, $10 on reshoots is nothing.

Suicide Squad has a $250 million budget? Holy crap! That's absolutely insane.

Do they think that Guardians of the Galaxy was normal for an ensemble of minor characters being released in August?

I'm not saying it isn't a positive development. It's just more evidence that they really don't have a clue what they're doing.

No one is more outspoken than me on DC Entertainment being totally inept. This is definitely not evidence of that.

No one is more outspoken than me on DC Entertainment being totally inept. This is definitely not evidence of that.

I agree with this. The fact that they are doing reshoots to change the tone, rather than just doubling down on grimdark angsting, tells me that they know realize they were mistaken about what audiences wanted originally, and are making an effort to correct it. If anything, this is evidence that there actually ARE competent people at WB. Not many, but some.

I certainly have no desire to champion DC's movie efforts-- but it is NOT a fact they are reshooting to change the tone. That's just the most popular rumor.

That said, if it is true-- good. Like I said earlier, this is the only DC movie that looks like it has any sense of joy or fun to it.

I agree with this. The fact that they are doing reshoots to change the tone, rather than just doubling down on grimdark angsting, tells me that they know realize they were mistaken about what audiences wanted originally, and are making an effort to correct it.

I don't disagree. It's a positive step. I'm just annoyed that it had to be made in the first place. And it seems the marketing department are the only ones who seem to have a handle on what people want out of this movie, or any other DC movie that isn't Batman.

Guest El Chalupacabra

New Suicide Squad trailer. This was a little underwhelming to me, but I think it's only because the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer is one of the best trailers I've ever seen. I'm very intrigued by this. I grew up reading the Ostrander run in the 80's, so this one is pretty near and dear.

Jared Leto looks like he's eating this part alive. I somewhat suspect that Jai Courtney is gonna run away with this movie. But I have no idea what Margot Robbie is doing. Also, Will Smith is there. Dressed as Deadshot.

Ick. Just....ick.

This movie so wants to be the GOTG meets Deadpool, but simply looks like an all around crapfest.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.