Where's the suicide squad thread

Durty D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVFTrLDsW8U

The trailer from comic con leaked so WB released it...definitely not a cynical marketing ploy...at all.

Anyway, what do you think?

Leto looks okay, Robbie gets a lot of screen time in the trailer, the rest of the cast look pretty meh to me.

I agree to some extent. The joker has had some wonderful interpretations in the comics and the same should be the case for screen. I remember people talking smack that Leger would never live up to Jack Nicholson's Joker...and history seems to be repeating itself with Leto.

As long as you can understand that this universe is different to Nolan's and Burton's and Timm's what does it matter who plays the joker?

These characters might actually work in this needlessly dark DC movie universe. But Iiiii dunno, this looks simultaneously like a mediocre, action thriller AND a really kickass, eccentric, hard edged take on these characters...I'm on the fence, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Margo Robbie looks good as Quinn, I just hope I can get Aileen Sorkin's voice out of my head.

I love TAS Harley; that accent, the costume and the dynamic between her and Joker. I am only tolerant of the Roller Derby version of Harley which this film seems to favor (because I feel the visual change damages her uniqueness, she feels more Barb Wire or something like that now).

I like Harley because she is a formidable menace for Batman who isn't a twisted reflection of Batman, whereas his other villains are. Harley is instead a twisted reflection of Robin.

Here's the thing about comic movies-- everybody hates everything. Then it comes out, and they love it-- except for the few who hold out as angry geeks. Everybody is a tool. Including us. THE END.

I think one of the issues is how bad comic book movies were for so long. For every Superman you had 3 turds like Ninja Turtles 2 or The Shadow or Batman and Robin. And comic book movies tend to be flamboyantly bad more than any other genre. Until this new Marvel era I had gotten to the point of assuming if it was a comic book movie it was probably gonna suck.

I do prefer 3. So good.

Also if you don't like Harley does that mean you joined Rock for penis removal and if so who is the real father of your children?

Didn't see anything that interested me. I've never understood Harley love either.

/wetblanket

Same.

I have always wondered, and maybe somebody here knows: was Harley Quinn really just thrown in as an attempt to keep the Joker from jumping out of a birthday cake, like Wikipedia says, or was she inspired by something else?

Until reading the cake story, I assumed Harley was inspired by Nurse Rozetta or some other Alice Cooper nurse/doctor/psychiatrist/dentist nightmare character from the 1970s -- the mental illness and criminal aspects of the song/storyline and over the top character designs always seemed like an almost too-obvious connection to me:

That being said, Rozetta started out looking more like a ghostly evil nun than a nasty, blood-covered clown/mime... I wish I knew when the face paint was permanently added for the stage shows -- before or after Harley? It's entirely possible that Harley Quinn was inspired by the character, with Harley's appearance leading to an "update" of the various medical characters.

It's the important things like this that keep me up at night.

Dini, Harley's creator, talks about 35 secs in.

Essentially Dini was creating some henchmen for the Joker, then on a whim he thought about making one a female, then he started imagining his friend Arleen Sorkin as this character, then he remembers she essentially played this type of thing on Days of Our Lives, then he literally bases the two tone design of her costume from that episode.

Whether he started down this line of thought to avoid the Joker jumping out of a cake, I dunno. It was serendipitous however as Arleen was available and a comic icon was born with her performance.

Edit in: Harley's gnarly look they use in the film and modern comics just may have been lifted from Alice Cooper, I dunno. Originally she was designed in a very classic way to match the original Batman four color designs.

Awesome, thanks for the insight, Torch :)

Just read about the cake thing on Wikipedia -- never saw the actual show or original comics appearances outside of YT, only know the meaner, more ragged look she's associated with now (though it appears she's wearing a jester outfit again?), and have always been like "Huh, where have I seen a character like that before?"

Man, soap opera actors really lead lives of misery and abuse.

• 6 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.