Dear Young People

monkeygirl

I've always felt, even in my teens and 20s, that I would hit my peak with satisfaction of life around 45. I was awkward in my youth and I never liked the lack of stability, money, and confidence that come naturally as an adult. I never liked to party, I never liked being a wild rebel-- so I'm golden yo.

Also D-Ray, don't think I didn't miss that last part about checking out early. Seriously, buddy, are you seeing someone about your depression? Is your wife doing better?

Sorry, didn't mean for it to come across that way at all. I don't mean it like that, more in like a way that I'd like to kind of check out of society. We live somewhat conservatively for a married couple with no kids, so ideally I want to save up a lot and somewhat retire early and not subscribe to that suburban lifestyle I'm growing to fear.

As for what else you'd mentioned, I've already somewhat checked out. I used to care tremendously about my career and achievements within it, but lately I just don't give a **** anymore. I had a good run where I did feel successful, but it came crashing down pretty quick when I was slapped in the face with a sense of reality that make me realize it was just a fluke. I don't find much of anything stimulating or anything anymore, only necessary.

There are tons of things I want to do, but the odds against me actually making any progress in any number of them are just so ridiculously stacked and insurmountable. The realization that any of that progress is largely out of my control anyways is the most discouraging thing. The idea that hard work actually does pay off is just a fairy tale we've allowed ourselves to believe in to give ourselves some insincere sense of purpose, and I'm not letting myself anymore.

The one thing I KNOW is that life can change on a dime-for the worse or the better and me, I'm better off realizing that more often when making decisions.

It's not til I got into my 40s that the finite amount of time we have goes quicker than we think. Now, my regrets are more centered around things like

this anxiety I'm dealing with. If I had just had a clue decades ago...

It's nice to keep a foot in reality but you really never know what life holds. Nothing we were taught is an absolute-not just the "work

hard, get rewarded" myth. That partly died for global economic reasons-something so far out of individual control! But one can't just

give up trying at ALL. I"m trying to find an elusive balance. I don't want to live to work but I don't want to be homeless, either.

Second that, mg. I still think hard work means a lot in life and gets you noticed, but life does sometimes throw you a curve. Being a parent has been much harder than I expected, and I had also placed such high expectations on myself (like I always do), that they were crushing me because they didn't align with reality. With kid 2, I was determined to be a little more laid back, I felt like I was in a good spot after 2 years of experience. But Ethan has had health issue after health issue, and it's been stressful as hell. I've realized I can't control things like that, but I'd sure like a break. Since he was born it's been medication, therapy, surgery... I'm exhausted. It's always been something. We're gearing up for surgery 2 here and I know that we absolutely have to follow up with therapy. I feel like this is a never-ending journey. I don't know when he will really be fixed.

D-Ray, I do get it that suburbia is not for everyone. But what do you want? I'm just saying that if you want a change, you're going to have to pursue it. It won't fall in your lap.

I'm schocked you guys are talking about retirement as if that's a thing. Doesn't even enter my reality as a concept. I'll be working till the day I drop dead. But like I alluded to earlier, I wouldn't be working on a career in a field that I didn't love. So much of life is spent on your feet, working, and sleeping. Never skimp on a matress, decent shoes or subject yourself to a career in a field that provides no satisfaction other than money.

The best job in the world couldn't possibly compare to the things I get to do, and the people I get to do them with, in my free time. So I'd rather work for 30 more years and then retire with some money in the bank than seek some sort of fulfillment through work.

My viewpoint is probably as repugnant to you as yours is to me, but that's life.

Fair enough. I was more surprised by the fact that you (people in general) have an economic situation that even allows for retirement. That was more my point, not that I don't understand the desire to retire. I'd love to never have to work. I don't own a house, probably will never be able to afford one, certainly not in London anyways. And since retirement will never be on the cards for me the only choice I have is to do something that I love doing.

I strongly believe that retirement is a concept that is more and more alien to the upcoming generations, with the exceptions of those born into more fortunate circumstances. Not that circumstantial privilege is anything to be ashamed of. I digress.

I don't find your point of view repulsive, Fozzie. Just alien.

I think it's more the concept of work.

I work a job that is, to be honest, a job. I get no fulfillment. I have no desire for fulfillment.

I'm guessing you could probably do something similar, and own a home and retire, but you want other things. Nothing wrong with that, but when I consider it for myself, it's repulsive. That's what I meant, by the way, and I'm guessing, since you seem to want that fulfillment from work, then you would be repulsed by the idea of just getting a job and spending 55,440 hours over the next three decades doing something that you don't love.

You are on the money there. I find it difficult putting effort into anything that doesn't interest me, or capture my imagination. I also don't work (well) for people or companies I don't respect or have faith in. I've walked out of a couple of good jobs because the people running the show I had little respect for. And money is not my primary motivator. Its a good one, but not the most important to me. So yes, I suppose you're correct.

I'd move to FL if I could afford it.

Fozzie, I paid into both. I work in a school district where they do actually pay into Social Security and/or I can chose a Texas Teachers Pension fund to contribute to. I worked a long time in food putting myself through school so I have many years as a food worker as well as my part time work working right now taking check orders to help pay for my Masters.

More than likely I will retire In style. I'm going to have my condo paid off too in about 10 years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.