Dear Young People

monkeygirl

You know those lists that pop up on Facebook? Those things from mashable and Buzzfeed that tease with headlines like "FIVE countries that will kill you for dancing!" and "Twenty toddlers that fail at being toddlers!". And when you click on them, all you get is a mess of dumb gifs?

WTF are those FOR? I mean, I get they're click bait, but do you young people like gifs SO much that you will endlessly click on these?

ALSO the same for those lists-like "NAME A CITY WITH NO "A" IN ITS NAME!!!!" Like, really? Who the fuck cares? I get-again-that it's click bait-but why would anyone share or re-post them?

TIA.

Tami, as you have aged, so have we.

I don't think we can answer these questions anymore. Or qualify as "young people". I don't think there's a single teenager on here anymore. And Garrison might be the only 20-something left

As Tami has aged, so has her definition of young people.

So to answer your questions, they appeal more to old people and that's why they're all over Facebook and rarely shared by anyone under 50.

Tami, as you have aged, so have we.

I don't think we can answer these questions anymore. Or qualify as "young people". I don't think there's a single teenager on here anymore. And Garrison might be the only 20-something left

I think there are a couple of us.

But yeah, this has mostly passed me by. I mean some of it is funny (I would probably click on the "20 toddlers that fail at being toddlers" headline, provided that it wasn't posted by ask.com or some website that looks like it hasn't advanced since 2001), but most of it I can't understand why people share it either.

There is something to Fozzie's answer though that I think "older" people are just as, if not more, likely to share stuff like that than young people.

DUDE. I have TRIfocals. Have had 'em since 2006. And I don't have a walker yet but I have one of those old lady grocery carts.

So, the REAL answer is that this isn't a young person thing-it's a dumb person thing and dumb people come in a all ages? I get it

when ask.com-who I wish I could banish from the universe permanently-does it but individuals on Facebook? Tha FAWK, you know?

I best be gettin' down to the pharmacy before they close. I'm almost of ointment.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to admit I often click on the GIF lists, though it's usually fewer toddlers and more 20 times Emma Stone GOT you. I don't know why. It's usually something I do late at night when I'm brain dead but not yet ready to admit defeat and go to bed :shrug:

For reference, I'm a member of the 20-something club.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.