Solo Solo movie has directors

Darth Krawlie

yeah, and I don't think you could get a list that everyone could agree on what to keep and what to ditch. Well.. save for the Jedi Academy trilogy. NO ONE likes those books. I think what they did they had to do in order to make movies.

Well . . . if nothing else, I want them to at least allow Legends to continue as an alternate universe, and not just let it die. There's a huge market for the Expanded Universe, and they will reap many profits from it. We Old Canonists can go one way, and they can go another, and they make money either way.

I don't think they're going to consider it at least until after The Force Awakens debuts. They're obviously focused on that right now.

Hopefully they won't screw up the new EU, but that happened to the old one before I even had the chance wonder if it would get screwed up. But I'm sure they will ruin it eventually. Oh well.

But I'm glad they're doing offshoot films because it's the EU the way I've always wanted it....as a movie!!

And Han is my favorite character, which means I'm extremely stoked at the announcement yet scared to death at the same time.

Well . . . if nothing else, I want them to at least allow Legends to continue as an alternate universe, and not just let it die. There's a huge market for the Expanded Universe, and they will reap many profits from it. We Old Canonists can go one way, and they can go another, and they make money either way.

I don't think they're going to consider it at least until after The Force Awakens debuts. They're obviously focused on that right now.

rebels doesn't kill too much does it? U thought the between trilogy era was always mostly untouchable. The new canon really is only destroying post ROTJ, right?

And couldn't you just assume any given story is still canon until something actively violates it?

That's the idea, yeah, but they seem to be moving on on all eras. I would have been easier with it had they kept to the post-Jedi era, but they've since proven that nothing is safe. All 25,000 years of Republic history down the tubes. The Republic is now officially only a thousand years old. (This was previously handled--quite easily--by the Ruusan Reformations.)

Even though I'm not interested in the new universe aside from idle curiosity surrounding the movies and maybe some of the video games, I confess that there's a tiny part of me that wants to be all-inclusive, cherry picking works of the new canon to fit them into the old, where they don't conflict or could conceivably fit with some measure of apologetics. But I'm not much of a chronologist, and there are fans out there more capable of such a thing than I.

And I was referring to Rebels' quality, not its precedence within canon.

yeah, and I don't think you could get a list that everyone could agree on what to keep and what to ditch. Well.. save for the Jedi Academy trilogy. NO ONE likes those books. I think what they did they had to do in order to make movies.

I think they're not bad! I like the Jedi Academy trilogy far more than Zahn's books.

You're weird.

And I still don't get how fiction can be apocryphal. New EU or old, it's fiction. Stories are stories are stories.

Only a Seth Lord deals in absolutes...

Seth Lord would fit with Driver...

The EU aside, I don't really want to see someone else play a young Han Solo because he is, obviously, intertwined with Harrison Ford in my mind. Now, you're going to bring up the Obi-Wan Kenobi issue, which I guess is a fair point, but bear in mind that Obi-Wan, as played by Alec Guiness, debuted as an old man, so it's rather forgiving to see his younger self played by Ewen McGreggor because we've only ever known the character as an old man previously. When someone is old, imagining what they were like when they were young pretty much opens the door to acceptance of a completely different person.

The same is not true of Han, or any of the Big Three, for that matter. They debuted as little more than children to begin with (yes, this includes thirty-year-old Han as well; he is still young enough to make the cut), so to present only a slightly younger version of one of these characters played by another actor would feel extremely odd, at least to me.

This was one of the main problems I had with the new Star Trek films because the same holds true with those characters who debuted as twenty-somethings in the 1960s. And now we see them again as twenty-something played by different actors, and it just takes my suspension of disbelief beyond the breaking point.

That's why the degree of difficulty for this movie is so high. I imagine a lot of people feel that way - even if they don't realize it yet. Because of that, the filmmakers have to really nail every other aspect so you're not ripped out of the story on a consistent basis. I can get over "Actor X" looking nothing like Harrison Ford if the movie feels really Star Warsy. If the movie feels the need to constantly tell me HEY THIS IS A YOUNG HAN SOLO that'll be a bad sign.

I still think Young Han Solo is asking for trouble. How young are we going? Han was thirty. Are we going into the twenties? Teens? Does anyone really want to see ANY early-twenty-something or teen SHOW/TELL us why Han Solo is so cool when Han Solo being so cool needed no explanation?

Maybe he's eight and gets to show off his already considerable piloting skills.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I hope there's 80's teen rom-com elements and he meets Sana Solo.

Only if it is done in montage format, set to the music of A-Ha.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I love the idea, but it all comes down to who they cast. It's very hard to get super cocky but yet super likable right, and very few actors can pull it off. My first thought was Andrew Garfield. I'm not much of a comic book guy, but I've heard that the big complaint of him being cast as Spiderman was his Peter Parker. Apparently Peter Parker is supposed to be dorky and someone who normally doesn't get the girl, and they said Andrew Garfield was too self confident and would get the girl most of the time. To me that's Han Solo. He's a little small so I wouldn't mind him putting on more muscle kind of like Chris Pratt did for Guardians of the Galaxy, but I think he might be able to pull it off.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.