Solo Solo movie has directors

Darth Krawlie

It's off topic...but I seriously don't get why the chance to start fresh in the EU isn't exciting to anyone. Especially considering how goofy and convoluted the old one was. Who cares if they start fresh. The pros outweigh the cons. Comics have been doing it since forever.

And Z, you're complaining that they're barely making changes, just rehashing old stories with minor tweaks? You don't like that. You also won't like major changes either. You won't like it either way.

Just relax, let go, and enjoy. It's Star Wars!

I saw this on twitter and thought, "My god, I can almost justify this in my head." Guys name is Anthony Ingruber. don't know much about him, but I guess he already plays a young Harrison Ford in Age of Adaline.

CJWp-UvVAAAMqQT.jpg

Also does a passable Han Solo impression if they want that type of thing.

EDIT: And I see Good God a Bear beat me to the name drop, but I think the photos/video is worth partial credit. lol

It's off topic...but I seriously don't get why the chance to start fresh in the EU isn't exciting to anyone. Especially considering how goofy and convoluted the old one was. Who cares if they start fresh. The pros outweigh the cons. Comics have been doing it since forever.

And Z, you're complaining that they're barely making changes, just rehashing old stories with minor tweaks? You don't like that. You also won't like major changes either. You won't like it either way.

Just relax, let go, and enjoy. It's Star Wars!

You don't think the new EU or whatever they're calling it won't become just as goofy and convoluted? Are they going to reboot again in another thirty years?

Star Wars isn't like superhero comics, which are set in the real world in the eras of their publishing (the 1950s, '60s, etc). Unless we want a super old Batman running around with an oxygen tank breaking his hip constantly, of course the story needs to be rebooted every now and then, set in a contemporary setting.

Star Wars takes place in a universe completely removed from our own where modernity does not apply (in the EU, things hardly changed over the span of 25,000 years). Star Wars does not reboot, as Leland Chee famously said (before Disney rebooted it). The entire existence of the Holocron Community was Lucas Film's effort to keep the universe coherent and whole.

And I'm glad you love that about me, Lucas. I guess it has become a big part of my Nightly persona. :)

Ugh....

Dude, anything is better than the previous EU. .

Unless you have read/played/experienced all or a good portion of it, statements like this are just plain idiotic. And if you're one of those people who adores The Clone Wars and Rebels and has the gull to say something like this, I've got news for you, buddy.

If not, it's still idiotic. There's not much else to say about it.

I generally hate playing the "imagine people as [character]" game, but I couldn't help it in this case.

Er....that Fly machine Nicholas Cage / Val Kilmer does not make anything in the neighborhood of Ford.

Then again, that also appiled to River Phoenix and Sean Patrick Flanery, and the world did not quake....

I have, Z. Otherwise I wouldn't say such a thing. It's idiotic to think that I would say any of that without such knowledge. It's worse than idiotic.

This isn't my opinion I'm sharing. It's just the way it is.

Stop assuming people are intent on hating EU. People want to like it. Some of us very badly want to like it. We wish the material would allow us to.

*puts on broken record* I think that's unfair to a lot of quality stuff in the EU.

Justus-

I know he doesn't resemble Harrison Ford (who does?!) but I feel like he captures the young Han look - if that makes any sense. He looks like the kind of character who could turn into Han Solo as we know him.

But that's part of the bigger issue of course. This is not an enviable film to make. Making Rogue One? I think that'd be awesome. Making a young Han Solo movie would have me quaking in my boots.

But now I can't get Val Kilmer + Nic Cage = Garrett Hedlund out of my head. So, thanks for that.

I have, Z. Otherwise I wouldn't say such a thing. It's idiotic to think that I would say any of that without such knowledge. It's worse than idiotic.

This isn't my opinion I'm sharing. It's just the way it is.

Stop assuming people are intent on hating EU. People want to like it. Some of us very badly want to like it. We wish the material would allow us to.

The honest truth is, most people don't care, or are likely even unaware the EU exists. Fans tend to forget they are a very small margin of ticket sales. NORMAL PEOPLE are who movies are made for, and normal people could give a crap about Star Wars books.

I remember reading Dark Force Rising at work on a lunch break way back when. One of the guys look at my book and said "Why are you reading the book? I'd just watch the movie." I knew explaining what I was reading was pointless. At the end of the day though his payed ticket to the movie is the same as mine.

You're right, Driver. There's a word for "fans" of that sort. They're called casuals.

I think Lucas' reply to Jedigoat was adequate. I find it very hard to believe that he has followed the EU closely long enough to be able to say that there isn't a single piece of quality work from it. Mind you, the EU is comprised of novels, comics, short stories, video games, board games, and other media, where most people automatically only think of the novels. And even if he's only referring to the novels, I still find it unlikely that he's read the majority of them, including the recent ones. You just don't arrive at such a conclusion if you have. It's impossible.

Furthermore, I find it a trifle hypocritical to hate the old EU with such vitriol but be excited about the new EU (or whatever they're calling it) and eager to gobble up all the new materials.

I never said there wasn't a single piece of quality work. I'm talking about the whole. Lol. OJ only killed two people right? That's out of about a few billion people. So that's not that bad. Plus, the rest of his life he never killed anyone. Let's go easy on the guy.

And you can read over a hundred books and start to think to yourself...damn, I'm still reading these. That's like going on a date with say Rosie O'Donnell and after 20 dates you start to wonder what the hell you're doing. But then you go out with her 100 more times anyway.

No one has said they hate EU. I don't. And I don't know anyone who's super excited for the new stuff. I'm not.

Once again, these opinions are based on having read the EU and being immersed in it for over 20 years. That's why I'm saying this stuff. Why else would I be saying it? Z, you make way too many assumptions. And you're putting way too many words in people's mouths. Maybe your comments stem from other past threads but still.

What's it have to do with me? People who don't know there's a Star Wars Expanded Universe are generally people who don't really care that much about Star Wars. Wouldn't you agree? I didn't say people who didn't like the EU, I said people who'd never heard of the EU. Big difference. They are casuals, plain and simple. It's not an insult.

Jedigoat: Okay, now I understand. Thanks for clarifying, and I'm sorry for making to assumptions about you. I'm glad I understand where you're coming from now. I may not agree with it, but I understand it.

Your Rosie O'Donnell analogy would make sense only if Star Wars was the only form of entertainment that I enjoy, and the only type of literature that I read, which I assure you it isn't. In fact, oftentimes I will go a year or two without reading any sort of Star Wars literature, only to have to catch up later. In fact, for as immersed in the EU as I am, I have a lot of catching up to do. Now that the EU is, at least temporarily, discontinued (except for the MMO The Old Republic and related literature), maybe I should take this opportunity to catch up while no new titles are pouring in.

Understand that, for some of us fans, what you consider the EU to us is simply Star Wars. We see it not as a saga of six films, but something so much bigger than that: a massive, ever-expanding, mostly consistent universe with untold mediums to enjoy. For me personally, I am not interested in a rebooted Star Wars universe because there is so much lore to explore in the existing one, especially when I am not done with my exploration. There's quality, there's crap, and there's everything in between, just like life itself. As a result, I have no problem embracing the whole of it for what it is.

On topic: You know, I was just reading in The Essential Reader's Companion about Han Solo's early adventures, and the original meeting between Han and Chewie has actually never been told in story form, at the request of Lucas Film. So if the new film wants to explore that topic it might just jive with the EU, probably with a few retcons and apologetics.

My Rosie O'Donnell analogy applies strictly to SW books, not all literature. And it is super spot on.

Here's another....picking up a SW book is like letting your girlfriend back even though every time you take her back, she cheats on you. Blatantly. Like she does it right in front of you! Lol

Understand that, for some of us fans, what you consider the EU to us is simply Star Wars. We see it not as a saga of six films, but something so much bigger than that: a massive, ever-expanding, mostly consistent universe with untold mediums to enjoy. For me personally, I am not interested in a rebooted Star Wars universe because there is so much lore to explore in the existing one, especially when I am not done with my exploration. There's quality, there's crap, and there's everything in between, just like life itself. As a result, I have no problem embracing the whole of it for what it is.

You're still assuming, Z. I totally understand that. That's me! No one feels that more than me. I love everything about SW. I want it to be more than just movies. I just am sick of it getting pissed all over. I love and want an EU. I just want something that reflects the films, I won't laugh at, and isn't driven by deadlines alone. Because the frequency of releases just tells us that they have to churn out something, regardless of how bad or ill conceived it is. That's every business. But it derailed a long time ago and it pisses me off because no one loves it more than I do. Not even you! :p

I said this on Zerimar's Facebook, but I'm curious how others may feel. It seems to me, if you're a big enough SW fan that you love the EU that hard, the new canon can't be a bad thing because it's MORE Star Wars. If that's your thing, aren't new stories trying things a different way a good thing?

If it's just a continuity issue I still don't think it's that bad. Canon has never been tight. since Splinter of the Minds Eye, EU material will come out to capitalize on a movie and be part of the story until the next movie undoes it. That's the nature of it.

Lucas has always said SW is meant to be modern myths. By definition and nature, myths are stories told over and over through time. An alternate Han Solo origin isn't a crazy concept if we're talking myth.

I said this when they first announced Disney buying Lucasfilm. Star Wars is no longer the one story of the rise, fall, redemption of Anakin. Like Tank said its a modern myth. Like Robin Hood. There are many different versions of Robin Hood. There will be many different versions of Star Wars. Some will be good, some bad. Some will try to put a new spin on it, some will basically re-tell the same story again and again.

Because the frequency of releases just tells us that they have to churn out something, regardless of how bad or ill conceived it is

Like the twenty books they're churning out leading up to The Force Awakens? ;)

[N]o one loves it more than I do. Not even you! :p

Challenge accepted!

As much as I enjoyed (a lot of) the old EU I don't mind the new stuff at all. Like we've all said, it's not like they're wiping those books from the face of the planet - they're still there. They're still "real." Who cares if one canon is more official than the other.

My only complaint/hope/whatever regarding the new stuff is that I really wish a majority of the world building stays the same. It'll eventually be a non issue (and maybe even is already, I don't know how much SW I will read going forward) but I'd prefer if the "galactic map" doesn't change, if starships are still built on Fondor, if Incom still makes X-Wings, if Coreilia is still a planet and so on and so forth. I'd much prefer if this were an "alternate reality" rather than a total wash out.

But like I said, it's not going to "ruin" anything for me. That's just the way I'd rather it be done if it were up to me.

You know what they should have done if they were smart? Instead of dumping the entire EU, keep certain beloved story arcs as canon and just override the less popular stuff. It's not ideal for people like me and it isn't what I would have wanted, but at least it shows some measure of compromise and doesn't go so far as to alienate and divide the fan base. Let certain things be set in stone, such as Knights of the Old Republic, Shadows of the Empire, and the newer stuff that was well received like Darth Plagueis and Kenobi. (This is by no means an exhaustive list). Sadly, thinks like the Thrawn trilogy would obviously have to go since it gets too close to the new movie's timeline.

I don't know if any of you remember Light-Sith from these boards, but he wrote an excellent article on the subject and suggested titles to keep. That's one solution that could have been taken to keep more people happy yet allow for quite a bit of creative freedom.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.