NBA 2015-16

Darth Lohr

People have been saying the Spurs are too old for years and they keep winning. Now with Aldridge who is in his prime and Leonard who isn't even there yet they can just slowly turn the team over. Those are going to be their 2 main horses for the year. Manu will play even less minutes. Parker is only 32 as of now, so isn't exactly old. Parker, Leonard, Aldridge can do heavy lifting during year. That's a very good top three guys. Then you have Duncan, West, Manu, Green, Mills to support them. Plus you know that 1 or 2 other solid vets will take small deals for a chance to win.

Then in the playoffs Duncan can go from playing 24 minutes a night and averaging 12 and 8 to playing 32 minutes a night and averaging 18 and 12, you add that to the big three and they will be real tough.

Duncan probably retires after the year, Manu too. Still leaves them with a solid nucleus of Aldridge, Leonard, Parker, Green. The salary cap skyrockets, they can use that newfound cap space to reload the role players with maybe some extra youth and you hope that you can continue to roll.

It may work, it may not. It will work in the sense that the Spurs should stay a very good team for the next several years now. It may not work in terms of more banners because I'm just not sure Aldridge and Leonard are quite good enough to the top 2 on a championship team.

Jordan is being heavily criticized by some people. To me, it's the fault of the whole damn waiting period. I know from experience that the more time you have to consider a deal you've agreed to, the more chance there is to second guess it - and NBA players have a whole hell of a lot more riding on these decisions than I ever have. I understand the "why" of it, but can't they just move dates around and have the cap set before free agency. That would make more sense to me. Not only would you avoid this sort of thing, but teams would actually know what they have to work with when they're making their plans on who to go after.

The one thing I tell my associates is to be professional. And most of them still do things the immature way. Jordan's biggest discretion to me was never taking Mark Cuban's call. Think about it. Balmer, Rivers, Griffin, and Paul had to hang out with him until he could sign his contract because they were afraid if they left he might change his mind again. Maybe he made the right move, but he sure went about it the wrong way.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the Knicks a bunch in summer league and came away really impressed with Porzingis. He's always compared to Nowitzki and Gasol because people lack imagination but he isn't that much like either of them. He's not the silky smooth shooter Dirk is, which isn't surprising cause Dirk is probably the greatest big man shooter of all time. He's not the physical low box player Gasol is either.

He's more athletic than either of them and potentially more skilled with the ball in his hands than either though. He isn't ever going to be the rebounder Gasol is, but he should be able to settle into averaging 8-9 a game eventually with maybe getting up to 10 in his very best years. He also isn't going to be the physical defender Pau is but he is so long and athletic and has a good nose for blocking shots he could average over 2.0 a game in the NBA.

Basically anyone who watched him play would be happy the Knicks took him. Doesn't mean he will pan out, but now that we've seen him you can see he has all the skills needed. May take him a bit longer than the guys chosen in front of him (although thats overrated, it takes all these guys time since they are so young) but he looks like a good player.

Also, Jerian Grant looks like he is going to be an NBA starting PG very soon. His ability to see the floor and pick out a pass is already very advanced and he can get to the hoop. He needs alot of work on his shot to become a top player but he already has a very good floor game.

• 2 months later...

WANTED: WILLING & RELIABLE FANTASY SPORTS OWNER

WE HAVE AN IMMEDIATE OPENING IN THE NIGHTLY BASKETBALL FEDERATION

The NBF is Nightly's long running (8th season) fantasy basketball league. It is a ten team keeper league: you select four players to keep from last year's roster, everyone else goes into the draft pool. This is a Head-to-Head, nine category league. We need to draft very soon, but have a owner vacancy for an existing franchise that we need to fill immediately. As the new owner of this franchise, you would, of course, be able to change the team name, as you see fit. You will be able to select four players from last year's squad to hold onto (click franchise link to see roster), and you will also have the first pick in the upcoming draft (team is #1 in a ten team serpentine [or "snake"] draft). And there certainly is talent worth keeping on this roster. The last place finish the previous season was due more to owner negligence than anything else.

The league is a lot of fun and filled with fellow NNers. If you, or anyone you know here, enjoys or has any interest in trying out fantasy basketball, please post here or PM me as soon as possible. Choc? Pong? Met? Bueller? I know it's short notice, but don't worry - part of the reason for our predicament is that we got a very late start this year, so we're all unprepared. Come on over and earn some bragging rights - or just make fun of Irish. That never gets old!

• 2 weeks later...

Knicks looked good tonight. Don't wanna draw too many conclusions but they look like an actual NBA team with NBA players throughout the rotation. Really liked what I saw from a few spots though.

I like the Robin Lopez and Kyle O'Quinn combo at center. I think that could be a plus for the team. O'Quinn can really pass the ball for a big man. I hope they find some time to play them together.

Derrick Williams I don;t know what to make of. Was a #2 overall pick who never panned out and seemed to become a below average athletic type bench player. He had a great preseason, which to me means nothing. Then tonight he goes out and gets 24 and 7. Still not gonna draw conclusions, but I guess ya never know. And worst case scenerio he is an athletic 15-20 minute a game guy off the bench.

Grant looks good at PG, I liked the pick at the time and my mind hasn't changed. In fact I think eventually he starts. Calderon is just too slow, opposing PGs eat him alive. Grant can play some defense.

The big quesiton is ofcourse Porzingis. He shot poorly, only 3 of 11 from the field. BUt he got to the line alot. This isn't the stereotype European who likes to stand outside and shoot. He loves to put the ball on the floor and go to the net. He has alot of work to do, and if the Knicks do end up being decent and play meaningful games I could see him losing minutes to O'Quinn, but the fact that his natural inclination is to be aggressive and go to the basket makes me very happy.

Have to say again how much I'm loving the 2 Knick rookies.

Porzingis looks really good already, he is better at every facet of the game than I'd thought he'd be. His shooting percentage is low, but I'm not worried at all about that. His only real problem is committing too many fouls. But I'm guessing he will figure that out. He is only averaging roughly 24 minutes a game, due mainly to the foul issues. But if you gave him normal starters minutes, say 36 per game his numbers would already be excellent. Here are his numbers per 36 minutes:

18.6 pts, 11.5 reb, 2.8 steals, 1.9 blocks.

Same thing goes for Grant, paying only about 22 minutes a game because of a misguided loyalty to the veteran Calderon but Grant is playing very well. Like KP on a 36 minute basis already putting up good numbers

12.6 pts, 4.7 reb, 5.4 assists, 1.9 steals

I wouldn't call the Knicks a good team, not by a long shot. But they do have some good pieces. The 2 rooks both look like good players already and long term should be even better. I think Galloway is perfect in his role off the bench. Their center combo of Lopez anad O'Quinn is very solid. When Afflalo comes back and they eventually trim the rotation down, they played all 12 last night which is crazy, they should be an ok team.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.