NBA 2015-16

Darth Lohr

It seems that, as a Suns fan, I'm getting all too used to using this phrase, but...I'm confused...

Tyson Chandler has reached agreement on a four-year, $50 million-plus contract with the Phoenix Suns, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

We have committed $70m contracts to two guards, drafted several young wings with promise, as well as used a Top 5 pick on center Alex Len. We don't have a huge amount of cap space left and could really, really use a power forward who can help on the boards, while scoring down low and/or stretching the defense out wide. Especially since last year's starter not only failed to either progress or mature, he's also facing possible jail time. A case could perhaps be made for a high-level SF (or at least a solid 3-n-D guy), depending on the plans for the current logjam there.

Instead, they spend $13m a year on yet another center - one who is approaching his mid-30's and has 14 seasons of tread worn off of his tires, already; one whose 75 games last year was the most he'd played in 7 years (and a total he's only surpassed three times in his career); and one who, even when healthy and in his prime, has been a limited offensive player that can't shoot free throws. Plus, he and Len cannot play together - so, either he's going to be one damn expensive backup or that Top 5 pick (who finally started showing some progress last year) is headed back to the bench.

Yes, Chandler helps defensively - but I was kind of hoping the idea was to find someone to combine with Len, who also can be a disruptive force on defense, and really improve the defense as a whole. Also, apparently they signed Chandler and then brought him into the meeting they were having with LeMarcus Aldridge. Though I can see how having him on the team might make the Suns more appealing to Aldridge, I'm not sure how we could possibly afford Aldridge after spending the money on Wilson. There was talk about a possible sign-and-trade with Dallas involving Chandler and Brandon Wright, but even then, it would take quite a bit more maneuvering to free up money. If that actually happened, somehow, that would be huge. However, I'm not holding my breath - and I'm still confused.

They could do a sign and trade for Aldridge.

Yeah, that's one of (never-ending) rumors involving them getting rid of Eric Bledsoe. I'm not crazy about them shipping him off, though if it actually brought Aldridge, it should be worth it. I just wish I had a bit more confidence in Brandon Knight. In a perfect world (and I haven't really had time to do an in-depth analysis of the potential scenarios), they keep Bledsoe and add Aldridge. If they package together some picks and some players (Markieff Morris, PJ Tucker), they could free up some space. The contract could be structured to be fit under the cap this year and increase significantly next year, when the cap jumps up. I don't know, just thinking out loud. It might not be impossible to keep both of them. If that happens...damn, that sounds like a good team. I can't let myself get excited, but I can dream.

It is worth noting that A) the Suns chances seem legit and 2) Bledsoe was part of the meeting: Reports: LaMarcus Aldridge is a real possibility for the Suns .

Another factor I forgot to mention is Knight is currently a caphold of about $9m. That is all he will count, for now His contract should be the last thing done, because they'll be able to go over the cap to keep him.

If moving Bledsoe is absolutely the only way to make the numbers work, so be it. If there's another way, though, they will (should) take it. Aldridge would certainly rather have a stronger team to join, so no incentive there. As for Portland, they're in no position to demand Bledsoe (or anything), since he can sign outright and they would get nothing. So, while I obviously am praying for Aldridge to come here, I just hope the Suns are smart about it.

They could do a sign and trade for Aldridge.

Yeah, that's one of (never-ending) rumors involving them getting rid of Eric Bledsoe. I'm not crazy about them shipping him off, though if it actually brought Aldridge, it should be worth it. I just wish I had a bit more confidence in Brandon Knight. In a perfect world (and I haven't really had time to do an in-depth analysis of the potential scenarios), they keep Bledsoe and add Aldridge. If they package together some picks and some players (Markieff Morris, PJ Tucker), they could free up some space. The contract could be structured to be fit under the cap this year and increase significantly next year, when the cap jumps up. I don't know, just thinking out loud. It might not be impossible to keep both of them. If that happens...damn, that sounds like a good team. I can't let myself get excited, but I can dream.

It is worth noting that A) the Suns chances seem legit and 2) Bledsoe was part of the meeting: Reports: LaMarcus Aldridge is a real possibility for the Suns .

I'm pretty sure you can't structure contracts that way, you can only give a certain percent raise on a multi-year deal.

Knicks are in such a bad spot. I mean I see Monroe goes to Bucks for max. I'm not that upset because to me he is at best the 4th best player on a really good team and giving him the max isn't such great business. Thing is I don't really see how the Knicks get better. They have few draft picks or assets to trade. Only way to get better was through free agency. I guess we have to hope Porzingis becomes really good.

One thing I don't get though is the idea that the Knicks shouldn't have drafted a "project". Basically all of these teenagers are projects. Andrew Wiggins won ROY and he wasn't a good player this past year. You can see his talent and that he probably will be good player, but he wasn't last year. His per game stats look good 16.9 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 2.1 APG. But that's cause he was on a bad team and someone has to score. His shooting percentage was poor 43%, his shooting from three was poor 31% and he had more turnovers than assists. He is not a good player.

Chances are none of the freshman drafted this year will be very good right away, not just the guy the Knicks picked.

Holy crap, this might really happen. Still an underdog and I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's now an actual, feasible possibility. We're now within striking distance, money-wise. We seem to be one of the top two choices. Again, trying not to get my hopes up, but...I'm so tired of mediocrity.

Even if we don't get Aldridge, I'm happy with the moves. I'm still a little unsure about the latter years of Chandler's contract, but we do certainly need defense, rebounding, and leadership. And getting rid of the Morrii (at least half of them, so far) is a bit of addition by subtraction. They went from looking like bargain role players to clueless thugs in a hurry. Plus, the SF position is now freed up considerably. It would be awesome to unload the other Morris, as well. At this point, I'd almost rather have Jon Leuer start, I think. Aldridge would sure fill that role damn nicely, though.

And so, we wait...

It's funny, I don't really mind the Knicks moves on an individual basis. Afflalo was signed for a very reasonable amount, so was O'Quinn. Williams is taking a flyer on a guy who was the 2nd overall pick a few years ago and is still only 23. Lopez is overpaid but I guess thats the going rate for a competent center.

Everyone is up in arms because they expected more, but this was not a bad summer. Most of the deals are short term, other than Lopez, which gives the Knicks flexibility going forward and improves the team now. Now they won't exactly be good they shouldn't be a joke any more. They have real NBA players at all 5 spots

5-Robin Lopez

4-Kyle O'Quinn

3-Carmelo Anthony

2-Aaron Afflalo

1-Jose Calderon

Again, not a good team but probably not a joke either. Hopefully get to respectability so when the cap really jumps up players next year won't see us a joke and we can acquire the kind of player we really need.

Pretty much. The Suns don't really "suck". In fact, in the East, we'd be a playoff team. However, we are in a state of perpetual state of mediocrity and that's almost worse than sucking. The truly bad teams have a decent chance of getting one of the next "stars" in the lottery. With the current trend of big time FA's looking to join other big time players, it's harder than ever to get a player that put you over the top. That pretty much leaves trades - and finding a great player that is available in a trade is very rare, as it is. Then you still need to have the assets the other team wants and, most often, need that player to go along with it, too. That's a whole hell of a lot of "ifs". The stars almost need to align, like some cosmic event, for a team to really vault into the next level these days.

So, here's to hoping Kevin Love wears out his welcome in Cleveland soon!

Well the Aldridge signing is good for the future that much is for sure. I find it funny how everyone has gotten past the Spurs core getting older. At some point this has to be seen as the last ride so to speak for this current iteration of the Spurs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.