Regarding Spoilers

Cerina

Going forward the following rules are going to be in place regarding spoilers for movies, TV shows, and books.

Regarding new releases - all specific discussion about the plot and/or characters in brand new releases is required to be in spoiler boxes for the following durations:

Books - 1 month post release

Movies - 1 week post wide release (not including sneak previews or limited releases for movies that will eventually have a wide release)

TV episodes - 48 hours after release for weekly serials, 2 weeks for seasons released all at once on streaming services

After the above times have passed it is the responsibility of the reader to avoid threads that might contain spoilers.

For upcoming releases, spoilers giving away major plot points that have not previously appeared in official promotional material released to the general public must be in spoiler boxes. This will also include screenshots and photos not previously used in official promotional material released to the general public.

Non-major plot points and all speculation originating from a poster's own imagination based upon previously released source material that has been available to the public for more than 2 years is fair game for all genres in all mediums. Plot/characters and speculation taken directly from source material that has been available for less than 2 years should be in spoiler boxes unless the general attitude and opinion of the majority of the posters in a thread do not deem it necessary. The final say in these situations will come from the moderator of that forum who will make their best efforts to judge the sensitivity and will of the active posters.

Avoiding possible spoilers is ultimately the responsibility of the reader. If you are avoiding all spoilers, I suggest you avoid the Internet. Otherwise it's a definite possibility that a spoiler will be posted for all to see at any time.

OMG... Avoid the internet. How Elitist!

People avoid spoilers on the internet all over because they don't search for things and spoiler material is correctly marked. This policy basically says don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. Do you not think this will drive people away from the boards? You really should take a broader view of how spoilers are dealt with all over the internet before you put random time limits on them. I mostly agree with time limits you've mentioned but there are specific cases that this policy does not take in to account.

Specifically the policy should address the issue of book spoilers affecting TV show enjoyment. I'm all for the time limit on book spoilers if it's in a book specific thread. Then I can avoid the damn thread. But I don't agree that you can carte blanche discuss books in threads related to shows with content that perhaps hasn't been aired yet. I'm sorry but one size doesn't fit all.

The issue really is about 'Can I spoil someone elses enjoyment of this medium' Not how old a book is or how new a TV show is. It's common sense.

We've discussed certain things in the other thread in relation to this knee-jerk reaction. Before you dismiss my post and tell me I'm wrong... just search on the internet for

Lady Stoneheart

Notice all the spoiler warnings?? Tell me why Nightly should be different??

If the only criterion you have for posting about a show is "will it spoil someone else's enjoyment", then we might as well close all entertainment forums. There will always be someone out there to complain.

Ultimately avoiding spoilers is the responsibility of the reader, not the poster. I stand by that. Sorry if you disagree.

Personally I feel that these guidines cover everything pretty well to keep discussion enjoyable for the community as a whole. I cannot please everybody simultaneously.

And I covered your concern about source material above. Unaired TV episodes are covered the same as upcoming releases.

That I agree with.

I still say it's crazy that we're saying "avoid the internet." I'm already doing that. I'm on nightly, with people I've known for years and years. People who I would think help each other out to try to maximize everyone's enjoyment. How many Internet forums are left? How many Internet forums are left that have had largely the same people posting in them for a majority of their existence?

It just baffles me that people have no interest in working together here. Of all places! Do you have that many people to discuss Star Wars with that you can afford to alienate people?

That's why I so adamantly apologized to Doze (outside of just being mean), I wanted him to be welcome here and realize I valued his many contributions to the SW forum - even if I did disagree with him this particular instance. It certainly wasn't worth losing a person I've enjoyed interacting wth about SW here.

Call me crazy, but I don't go into threads until I'm ready to talk about something that's been released if I don't want to be spoiled.

That's exactly what I do too. In fact I've been known to read whole season threads after the fact because sometimes we don't get the shows at the same time as you guys in the UK.

But the thread in question is talking about spoilers for possible future seasons of the show. Now you could tell me the book's been out for 100 years if you like but that doesn't mean people should just be able to openly discuss potential plot elements without spoiler tags. You can say that becuase we've gone past it in the books it won't be in the TV show but you don't know that for fact. There are tons of spoiler tags in the GoT thread and do you know what I've not opened any of them. That is my prerogative. But I'm concerned that two people have been spoiled in that thread now (One no longer wants to read the discussion and the other didn't care). The example I gave above clearly shows that what was being discussed is a spoiler everywhere else on the internet except for Nightly.

Echoing Lucas' comments above, I've posted here for 16 years now (well mainly read because I'm not a big poster) and I usually visit at least once a day. I can't see me wanting to come here if I'm not able to click on threads for fear of being spoiled. I'd have nothing to read!!

I really don't see the issue in using spoiler tags to discuss potential TV show spoilers. Or any other type of spoiler. Everything should be taken on it's merits. Then the patrons of the website can make a choice whether they want to read that material or not.

If you feel it is going to be spoilery and you want to give voice for your potential ruining of something I say do that Spoiler Tag thing.... However that does not work on mobile. So how about just a billion "ENTERS" after putting SPOILER?

But mostly I agree with Driver. We're down to just a few people anyways.

Spoiler tags are one of the 13 options accessible in the "Special BBCode" button on the reply window toolbar, if you use BBCode mode. Top row, third button from left, between the useless "Remove Format" button and the "Font" dropdown box.

That's where they are on the PC version, anyway. I hate the mobile version and never use it, so I can't help anyone there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.