Any SCOTUS rulings you find interesting?

Ms. Spam

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/the_breakfast_table/features/2015/scotus_roundup/supreme_court_2015_the_obamacare_ruling_is_a_bigger_victory_than_anyone.html?wpsrc=fol_fb

The Obamacare ruling is an even bigger victory for the law—and the president—than anybody expected.

Everybody,

To my mind, the most astonishing aspect of Chief Justice John Roberts’ opinion in King v. Burwell is that it actually puts Obamacare’s opponents in a worse position than they were in before the lawsuit. Pre-King, the IRS had simply promulgated a rule that subsidies must be available to people in every state, regardless of the presence of an exchange. The Obama administration argued that, if the court found the text ambiguous, it should defer to the IRS and allow its rule to go forward. (This is the so-called Chevron deference.) Under that logic, a future administration could revoke the subsidies in states with no exchange just as easily as the Obama administration made the subsidies universally available.
Read more in the link.
Interestingly, and as this writer points out, significantly, the Supreme Court did not base its decision in King v. Burwell on the Chevron rule of judicial deference to reasonable construction of an ambiguous statute by an administrative agency. The Court did not say the IRS' interpretation of the ACA is not unreasonable, therefore it prevails. On the contrary, the Court said the issue of whether subsidies can be paid in states that use the federal exchange is too important to entrust to the IRS, especially since the IRS has no particular expertise in the regulation of health insurance markets.
The Court's holding is that subsidies MUST be paid in federal exchange states just the same as they are paid in states with their own exchanges. There is no administrative discretion in the matter.
Does this mean that those against Obamacare finally give up?
Personally I think it is too late to repeal the law. I hate it and would like to get rid of it because it fixed nothing. Healthcare is still to expensive and if you are young and of good stock you're punished if you opt to not get health care by paying a fine at tax time. Most young people don't need health care unless they contract an STD.

Dudes. It's judgement day in the Supreme Court. Will gays be able to marry? Will people still have Obamacare? Will people be able to get lethal injections on death row or do we need to go to a firing squad? Are we being discriminated against in housing?

Guest El Chalupacabra

cat polygamy

we were warned this would happen

Which is why you are voting for Ben Carson, then?

The backlash on Facebook feeds my angsty soul. Calls to ban the rainbow flag. Stuff about how the Supreme Court can't write and sign laws. Even Greg Abbott - my states governor has piled on. I just know that this Friday was the happiest day on the internet.

The backlash on Facebook feeds my angsty soul. Calls to ban the rainbow flag. Stuff about how the Supreme Court can't write and sign laws. Even Greg Abbott - my states governor has piled on. I just know that this Friday was the happiest day on the internet.

Find new friends.

Find new friends.

family is weird. Plus I've had a bit of fun asking the married family members if they are experiencing their marriage crumbling before their eyes since this new ruling has totally redefined what marriage is.

Well that bolded specific is a rational concern regardless of any persons' position on what a government should acknowledge as marriage. Not that this is a new thing, nor literal... For all intents and purposes however. Of course how one goes about expressing that concern and with what regularity prior to this could say something about their actual concern they're hiding within this one.

As I love to "preach" be aware of context; who said what? why did they say it? who were they talking to? have they said it prior or since?

A fair, but still open, picture of a person and message can be ascertained with these questions. Fair warning; you'll probably just realize you wasted your time and those people are 'tards. Still a good habit to have anyway.

I dunno. I think it illustrates how irrational/delusional these MARRIAGE = MAN + WOMAN proponents are.

In funny news related to Facebook I have a homophobic friend who's been posting about protesting these gay weddings and posting Fox News tidbits and other not nice things who just used the Facebook app to apply the rainbow to her profile pic that people have been doing. I got to post to her page, "You do understand what that app represents? Right?"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.