Dylann Roof.

Ms. Spam

I think it's somewhat naive to think we will ever fix race relations in this country. I hope to be proven wrong, but there's just so much hate and distrust to go around. All sides have their points, but people are just so entrenched it's kind of hopeless. Whites can say they're not racist blah blah blah but everyone pays more to live in white flight neighborhoods.

I think it's somewhat naive to think we will ever fix race relations in this country. I hope to be proven wrong, but there's just so much hate and distrust to go around. All sides have their points, but people are just so entrenched it's kind of hopeless. Whites can say they're not racist blah blah blah but everyone pays more to live in white flight neighborhoods.

The main obstacle is acknowledgement. Too many people want to deny racism. They want to stick their heads in the sand and pretend racism does not exist, that it is no longer a problem.

And as long as that occurs, as long as people refuse to admit the reality of racial hatred, racism will continue to be a poison eating away at our society.

I agree the problem is too deeply engrained to ever go away completely. The status quo will remain such for the forseeable future.

Obsidian: I just saw an argument this morning where somebody was arguing that it "wasn't racism" but "insanity."

One of the most ridiculous diversions I've seen in a while. Of course the shooter is a freakin' nut; what he did was crazy. I don't have a problem calling the guy insane. That doesn't mean he wasn't also extremely racist and fueled by a social circle/culture that hates black people. It's not like you can only be either racist or crazy. But the lengths the guy went to to define the mass shooting as an act of insanity as opposed to an act of racism was just bizarre, and definitely informed by a "racism doesn't exist/barely exists anymore" mindset.

Obsidian: I just saw an argument this morning where somebody was arguing that it "wasn't racism" but "insanity."

One of the most ridiculous diversions I've seen in a while. Of course the shooter is a freakin' nut; what he did was crazy. I don't have a problem calling the guy insane. That doesn't mean he wasn't also extremely racist and fueled by a social circle/culture that hates black people. It's not like you can only be either racist or crazy. But the lengths the guy went to to define the mass shooting as an act of insanity as opposed to an act of racism was just bizarre, and definitely informed by a "racism doesn't exist/barely exists anymore" mindset.

FoxNews hosts were twisting themselves into contortions to try and claim it was an attack on Christians. Others were saying 'We'll never understand the shooter's reasons or motivations.'

Anything to avoid confronting the big white sheet wearing elephant in the room,,,

The problem is that the issue of racism is so broadly defined today.

You have legit racism that gets thrown into the muck of race baiters. The media does not help the situation one bit because they want to take a single issue that is the size of a crumb and make it the size of an astroid.

By the time the media is done and all the talking heads have spoken alot of people simply do not give a shit anymore and would rather move on.

Right about now the media is praying for another tragedy because this tragedy has run its course.

I wouldn't even call the guy insane. He knew exactly what he was doing. His reasons were insane by any reasonable definition, but he wasn't any more insane than Timothy McVeigh. An insane person has a legitimate mental problem, this guy was just a racist POS.

Fozzie here is an example.

Same crime,same age,same gender,same state and both punishments are not the same,but different race. That is modern day racism to me.

Other than that what I see alot from the media and social media is ignorant fools who act stupid in public and then when the police or someone calls them out on it they automatically play the race card. Most of the time its not racism its called being an ahole and they come in all shapes and colors.

The main obstacle is acknowledgement. Too many people want to deny racism. They want to stick their heads in the sand and pretend racism does not exist, that it is no longer a problem.

And as long as that occurs, as long as people refuse to admit the reality of racial hatred, racism will continue to be a poison eating away at our society.

I agree the problem is too deeply engrained to ever go away completely. The status quo will remain such for the forseeable future.

...and part of not admitting that reality is what I referred to earlier: present day society has pushed the essence of racism aside, preferring to analyze its surface by way of the nice, safe, would-be control of the shrink-molded society we occupy. In that mold, they go on and on with false a diagnosis that racism somehow (in a bias of their own) is the result of insanity, the "disgruntled lone wolf" myth, or a lack of intellectualism. That canyon-wide wrongheadedness always comes up short and derails--instead of understands racism. One cannot admit to something they refuse to understand. I suppose it is too uncomfortable to see it for its origins/development, so the quickie solution calls for inapplicable judgements, designed to sell the idea that the problem is just aberrant, possibly treatable behavior from a sub-cultural speck, rather than race being so ingrained in American society.

Many are quick to seek answers fro the same clueless "experts" or talking heads who failed them the first million times, but racism is one of the few traits that knows no predictors--the very reason why (for example) someone considered culturally / socially seasoned (not the packaged stereotype of a racist) can simultaneously harbor dark thoughts about a race. It was not something to learn or unlearn formally, as it came from a belief that is in the blood/mind, Talking heads avoid this even as a discussion...all the reason why more Roofs or Metzgers will plague America forever, while the official reaction is "ohh, how can this happen?"

And this is why Lincoln wanted to deport the black people to Liberia.

Guess what? It's never going away. Blacks and whites will never truly get along. Believing that they will is naive. Complaining about it, however, might make you feel better. You seem to be good at it.

In regards to moving to a better neighborhood, re: Burt

I did this recently. I moved my family from a densely populated, racially diverse neighborhood. However I moved not because white people, or black people, or asian people or whatever... I moved because dangerous and criminal activity were rising. I don't know who was doing what just that these activities where happening. My new neighborhood is still racially diverse, but there are less people here and we're all hard working families focused on being hard working families. My point being it's not skin color that makes neighborhoods horrible it's poor single people.

I agree, he blames others but I see this as a bigger, more faceted issue. One is our gun/violence culture, then add in generations of disenfranchised kids and toss in a legislative system whose main goal is to keep their jobs.

I think many of these people are sane enough to know right from wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

And to my earlier point apparently tons of black panthers and KKK nuts met downtown to fight over the flag thing and all that happened was that 5 people were arrested. That's it. Ten times as many get arrested on St Patty's Day.

I'm actually a little disappointed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.