Dylann Roof.

Ms. Spam

Rick Perry said that it is prescription drugs and not guns which caused this. Oh and this is being manipulated by Obama to ban gun use.

Personally this makes me sad. One of the ladies was a janitor and another a state congresswoman that died. Lots of Churches in my area are reaching out as Roof apparently spent about an hour in a Bible class there before he went nutz.

So many mixed emotions but really once again we have another gun violence death and not much has changed.

Sure I agree with that Kurgan. Some people can become a victim of their own environment and if his environment from friends to family didnt value human life and were racist then it can happen.

However there is no law or magic pill that can prevent these acts from happening. There is no such thing as being 100% safe.

I don't live far from where this kid grew up. I can tell you that Lexington County, SC is notorious for racism. I used to work with a huge black guy who was intimidating as shit and he told me that he would never set foot in that part of town. The word is that there were a lot of lynchings there back in the day, and the stories were no doubt passed down to him.

I have no doubt this kid came from that same hardcore redneck culture.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our-humanity-naturally/201506/anti-intellectualism-is-killing-america

America is killing itself through its embrace and exaltation of ignorance, and the evidence is all around us. Dylann Roof, the Charleston shooter who used race as a basis for hate and mass murder, is just the latest horrific example. Many will correctly blame Roof's actions on America's culture of racism and gun violence, but it's time to realize that such phenomena are directly tied to the nation's culture of ignorance.

In a country where a sitting congressman told a crowd that evolution and the Big Bang are“lies straight from the pit of hell,”(link is external) where the chairman of a Senate environmental pane lbrought a snowball(link is external) into the chamber as evidence that climate change is a hoax, where almost one in three citizens can’t name the vice president(link is external), it is beyond dispute that critical thinking has been abandoned as a cultural value. Our failure as a society to connect the dots, to see that such anti-intellectualism comes with a huge price, could eventually be our downfall.

Thing about ignorance is that it's always been there. It's nothing new and it's never going away. Society can't exist without the lower class, and society will never be able to erase their ignorance. It's always been there, and as bad as this tragedy is the world will move on in spite of it.

I love the way climate change was worked in to it, btw.

This really hurts, because the only nice thing I can think to say about Krawlie is that he is almost always right and Tex is almost always wrong.

But this time, Tex is right. People being downright proud of their ignorance is nothing new at all. History of full of fools laughing in the face of evidence and reason; Plato spoke about the smug self-satisfaction of the ignorant ("preferring himself to the truth") a few thousand years ago, and I suspect he wasn't the first to notice this phenomena.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I can concede the point. Is it the internet that's making it seem so much stronger now, then?

I think social media where everyone can broadcast their opinion to the world, as well as alternate forms of news sources, like blogs, AM talk radio, along with cable and network news degenerating largely into op-ed definitely plays a large part in that.

I also think that this mass shooting is also getting a bit of a different kind of coverage, due to the racial component, and being on the heels of the recent coverage of white cops vs minorities. But when you think about it, Roof is just as crazy as James Holmes and Jared Lee Loughner, and while his shooting might have been racial, it is no less delusional. Actually, there are a lot of parallels with Roof and the earlier shooters: all were white, early 20s, mentally ill, had a history of odd behavior no one did dick about, and they all were taking or had taken antipsychotic drugs.

Oddly, this is something both Rick Perry and Michael Moore actually might agree on: maybe it's worth examining and questioning whether antipsychotic drugs can affect some people in such a way to lead to things like this? To me it makes sense that while most people are helped by drugs like xanax, we also know that minds in young adults in their late teens and early 20s are not fully formed (thereby meaning their brain chemistry is different, perhaps opening the door for medicines to affect them in different way than intended), and just maybe there is at least a little bit of merit to the argument that some of these drugs for a small percentage of people is actually making their conditions worse, not better. I think it is at least worth asking the question, anyway.

I can concede the point. Is it the internet that's making it seem so much stronger now, then?

I think so. I'll even go so far to say that the Internet contributed to the crime. Years ago your typically frustrated redneck would've been content with his cousin and not watching the nightly news. These days you can't spend a second online without being bombarded by a race related controversy.

How do you not expect that to influence a dumb kid with no future?

And Pong the only thing I was ever wrong about was Bigfoot wanting to take pictures of your mother. It turns out that she asked him to do so and he just wanted to make her happy.

Regarding SSRI drugs and psychotic behavior, I have always suspected a connection. I don't think it's the only reason, but given how something like 19 of the last 20 mass shootings in the U.S. have been committed by people who are on or who have recently taken brain candy, it is definitely suspicious.

One of the weirdest and most chilling things I have ever seen in my life was a person with bipolar disorder, several months into her treatment, wander into the kitchen in the middle of the night and start happily shattering cups and plates against the kitchen wall for no reason whatsoever.

The act itself wasn't that weird or scary so much as the repetitive, almost robotic motions and "Hey guys, I'm not in here. Wheeeee!" look in her eyes -- and the question of "What if she had instead gone for a knife, a power drill, or even a gun while in that mental state?"

What pissed me of most f is that she had been complaining about how "off" her bipolar medication had been making her feel almost from the time she started it, and when the doc was told, he was all nonchalant about how "Oh, yeah, there can be behavioral side effects" (you mean, like, "May cause you to behave like a puppet with satan's hand up your butt?"). Uh, she'd been telling you for more than a month that this stuff wasn't agreeing with her, ya twit.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, I am not saying this is the only reason Roof, or the others went on shooting sprees. Some people are just rotten to the core, abnormal, and evil. And they do evil sh*t just because they can, and had the opportunity to do it, and honestly their thought process is no more complicated than that. It's just we as a society want to rationalize things like this. Maybe even a little bit of it is hubris on our part, thinking we can get to the bottom of everything, and explain the unexplainable.

But, if you talk to any medical doctor, neurologist, psychiatrist, or pharmacist, they will freely admit that much of the inner workings of the human mind is still a mystery, despite all we do know and our technology. Who knows what unknown drug interactions occur with SSRI drugs and a certain developing mind's chemistry? Not to mention this Roof kid had all this hate rhetoric in his mind, as well as possible drug interactions with other stuff he might have been taking, legal or otherwise.

We'll never know what exactly set him off and perhaps it doesn't matter, because I also simultaneously believe none of it is an excuse for shooting 9 people in a church, after sitting through a service with them for an hour. I think by and large insanity pleas are BS. As far as I am concerned, he ran and attempted to evade the police, so that demonstrates he knew what he did was wrong, and should be held fully culpable.

It is the shooter and the shooter alone who is at fault period the end. This person did not value human life and that is the problem.

Ultimately, yes. His views did not form in a vacuum, however.

I gotta go with Kurgan on this. I own a gun - well a shot gun. But I feel I'm pretty responsible. But I was raised pretty sensibly about guns and gun safety. Hell it wasn't even the talk of the house unless it was needed and then I think my Dad and family pretty much treated guns like tools. Things used to dispatch a snake or rabid dog or something on the ranch.

The thing is I live in Texas and kids are now allowed to carry on campus. This guy, Roof, is 21. He's just a kid in my opinion himself. So I don't know what good will come out of Texas making it okay to carry on state college campuses.

I also have to say that what Six posted in his blog totally is good sense.

http://midlifecrisiscrossover.com/2015/06/19/what-you-can-do-for-emanuel-ame/

I know how some of the people here feel about the Daily Show, but Jon Stewart's opening segment the day after the shooting says everything I could possibly say. No comedy on this one. Just Stewart's palpable anger about the fact that we refuse to do anything to prevent these kinds of things:

You go fuck yourself you liberal douche. Cha Ching indeed. Just count your money and parade yourself as a champion of human rights. We totally need you to remind us that this was a tragedy.

On the other hand I love your show! Can I be involved? One of my ancestors might have been Jewish!

Keep up the good work. Apparently your vomit is worth money. God bless.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our-humanity-naturally/201506/anti-intellectualism-is-killing-america

America is killing itself through its embrace and exaltation of ignorance, and the evidence is all around us. Dylann Roof, the Charleston shooter who used race as a basis for hate and mass murder, is just the latest horrific example. Many will correctly blame Roof's actions on America's culture of racism and gun violence, but it's time to realize that such phenomena are directly tied to the nation's culture of ignorance.

In a country where a sitting congressman told a crowd that evolution and the Big Bang are“lies straight from the pit of hell,”(link is external) where the chairman of a Senate environmental pane lbrought a snowball(link is external) into the chamber as evidence that climate change is a hoax, where almost one in three citizens can’t name the vice president(link is external), it is beyond dispute that critical thinking has been abandoned as a cultural value. Our failure as a society to connect the dots, to see that such anti-intellectualism comes with a huge price, could eventually be our downfall.

If it is to be understood that percieved "anti-intellectualism" is the culprit for such behavior (Roof), then I would say that is false. Like the recent wave of pundits rushing to claim every mass shooting was the result of "mental illness," this too, is a dodge / manufactured boogeyman / cause missing the point. For example, i'm certain one would not argue that in order to be a professor of physics (and all courses necessary to reach that position) that intellectualism played a vital part--its not just one course and you're done. Well, the late William Pierce--founder of the white supremacist National Alliance (and author of the infamous Turner Diaries) was exactly that. Yet for all of the knowledge he acquired in his education and vocation, it did nothing to prevent his founding one of the largest and longest-lived of the post mid century racial hatred groups. One might argue that only those embracing anti-intellecual beliefs would orchestrate something so malevolent, but....

...much of this society has hard-pushed themselves into a state of pereptual denial, by attempting to apply dry, clinical explanations to thoughts and actions that are beyond the couch, and structured learning. We have consciously rocketed away from the innately human trait of evil. Yes, evil. Whether the avoidance of recognizing it stems from a kneejerk idea that evil implies a theological association, or a true look into it is not easily bottled up/filed away by clinical establishment sources, I found the expected flood of "how does this happen?" / "who could think like that?" the true example of, well...stupid behavior, as those saying it have been so trained to not even consider the raw, blood-born beliefs that were never understood or managed by approved conditioning.

Some see Roof's actions, association and online evidence for what it is--but the news media pays lip service to it, finding comfort by running back to go-nowhere ideas of conditioning as a preventative measure. How often has a genuine racist who believes his ideas are rooted in his blood & soul--been "corrected" by a particular form of conditioning, social / environmental engineering? Where is the human record of that ever successfully combating, or supressing racist thought or action? If I were a betting man, I would say the examples are far and few between. So, while the usual mouthpieces and their usual guest experts try to isolate the Roofs of the world into a strict political ideologue / foot soldier (or if you prefer, "domestic terrorist"), or suffering from a culture lacking in accepted norms of socializing / education, other Roofs might act in the future, and we--the victims--will be not even an inch closer to grasping the why and what of his kind of mind. You will just be reacting after the horror--and hoping to do no more than jail him.

It's really not that complicated. There are frustrated losers out there who would gladly give there own lives to kill people. I actually hope they ban guns because it'll be funny to see what people blame future killings on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.