Mass Effect: Andromeda

Driver

Guest Robin

My Movie Night had Ryder glitch out at the end, PeeBee (this playthru's love interest) was just sitting there arm outstretched like it should be around someone's shoulders but nothing... it was both the saddest and most hilarious thing in the game after, of course, "my face is tired."

Guest Robin

The neat thing about replaying Andromeda is the New Game Plus mode carries over your level, items, crafting stock and reasearch data. Also you are not required to play the same character, you can rename, change the sex, the appearance.

The Bioware You Be So Dumb thing about the New Game Plus mode is that quest items carry over. As such one conversation into the game, after boarding the tempest, quests like Movie Night pop as ready for the final step.

LOL This dev team.

There's pros and cons to both of those details. It's hella useful to have level 6 abilities ready to go when you first drop on to Habitat 7, as well as level X pieces of armour and weapons, but I actually prefer the look of the earlier iterations of the Pathfinder armour, the Mk 1-4 i think; I don't like the way the later Pathfinder armour has bits added to the chest and you can't actually see the N7 logo on it. Same with some of the other pieces of armour, like the Heleus Icon armour - I really don't like the addition of that ring thing to the back of the neck which only appears on the higher rated versions.

As for the quest items already being in your inventory, it's really useful because you don't have to faff around looking for it and buying it/researching/developing it (especially during the quest involving the hackers where you have the option to craft a piece of cybernetics to "fix" Alain so he'll tell you the plan), but it's also kind of annoying when you're talking to Lexi for the second time ever and instead of talking about a memory fragment with her, you're suddenly handing her a bottle of "medicinal" asari alcohol that you can't buy until much later on in the game for movie night and the next conversation with Liam has him asking you to pick up the movie from Kadara, a planet you shouldn't even be properly aware of yet, and the last step before actually completing the quest.

Guest Robin

Been thinking about why Andromeda is not keeping me interested in replaying or not even super stoked for DLC;

It's too big, feels empty and already discovered.

I kinda wonder if a departure from the mass star system traveling would have better suited the plot. What I mean is shrink it to two major systems and then big side missions are going to various locations in these two major systems.

As such perhaps something like;

The Nexus orbits a gas giant in the outer edge of the Eos system.

Habitat 7 is in the Eos system and in the "Earth" position of that system.

The "destroyed planet" Asteriod Base is Eos's moon.

Eos is in the "Mars" position of the system and combined with Kadara and Elaadan.

Aya combined with Havarl and Voeld and in it's own neighboring "twin system" to Eos's system.

Meridian unchanged.

What this now means is we experience continents on these planets and with diverse weather systems which are then all out of whack because of the Vault-Terraforming systems malfunctioning. The Tempest super sleek design would then display how it was designed both for space flight, but mostly for flying about atmospheres and establishing settlements. Shrinking the foothold then produces urgency to fixing the vaults, because the only other viable planet is sovereign to Angarans. This also provides more feasibility and logic for a Nexus rebellion to leave and try to start up on their own prior to us arriving. Also with Meridan being in a third system you could then go with the 3 motif, the triangle, pyrimad etc for a Vault design and species. This would also place the Kett always within striking distance (with moving, orbiting star destroyers etc) and so the "open world" exploration mechanic would be delayed until after the main quest where you have made the system safe from the Kett.

One simple change to the setting would have helped-- nix the idea of the all the expats from the Nexus. Everything was so populated with milky way races that it killed the idea of being somewhere new. The Kett were visiting and ship based, and the Angara were basically in a post-apocalypse. And that was it. Make Kadara a port full of alien races-- the way we felt in ME when we got to the Citadel. Half the fun of ME1 was learning the world. They missed that here by having the new things be extremely limited. It was lame to go to an entirely new Galaxy and 3/4 of the crap you deal with is still Milky Way drama.

Instead of wishing what could of been-- I keep thinking on what they do to fix it.

In the next game, the Helius Cluster is now secure. Remtech has helped stabilize the area. The Initiative and the Angara are now one new big alliance. All Vaults have been exploited, all golden worlds colonized. Basically-- everything from Andromeda is done.

The next big step is to push into the rest of Andromeda. Mass Drives on ships make getting around the cluster doable-- but to really go the distance, they need Relays like they have back in the Milky Way. Thanks to Remtech, building relays is feasible, but it's still a process. The first relay has been build and it can basically fire ships to a location, but they can't come back.

Meaning-- a construction crew and materials can be sent ahead, but you don't get to come back until construction is complete.

The Pathfinders still exist and it falls to them to be the advance teams to scout out other parts on Andromeda to see if they are viable for a Relay. There's true real exploration along the way. Sometimes they make first contact with a not space-faring race. Other times they elevate races to join them. They might meet more advanced Empires or Alliances.

Ultimately all this exploration results in building the Alliance because they are pushing more into Kett space.

• 2 months later...
Guest Robin

I know rite.

Out of curiosity about the player base for this game I looked at the trophies on my PS4. Why? Well games, this one included, give trophies for main quest levels and also show percentages of the player base that reached it (or at least those with online access that reached it). Most of the trophies are tagged as rare, several are very rare or ultra rare. The main quest trophies past the first main quest level are all rare, with player attainment percentages hovering around 35% of the players. For squadmate missions it's even lower hovering around 27% of players.

In comparison the ME trilogy percentages for similar milestones hover around 20% better. e.g. Andromeda's main quest complete trophy is at 27% while Mass Effect 2's is at 45%.

It seems like "No one" has bothered to continue past the first planet let alone finish this game. If this is accurate, it's no wonder support has all but ended.

• 4 weeks later...

EA made a ten hour demo of this available so I tried it out. I am so disappointed.

On one level, I absolutely love the story. It's as if Prometheus was an action movie made in the 80's and then made into a video game today. The characters are also pretty great and diverse, and I love how it puts other Milky Way aliens on the same level as humans in their exploration of another galaxy.

But on pretty much every other level, it's such a mess. The soul of the old Mass Effect games are completely gone. The mechanics are lifeless, the visuals look no better than last generation, and after what must have been a ton of patches it's still glitchy as hell.

I so wanted to like this, it's so heartbreaking to see it become another paint by numbers big studio rushjob.

Some recent news has made it clear that Bioware Montreal, the Andromeda developers, have been folded in to EA Motive, who are based in Montreal. To a lot of people, this is confirming once and for all that the news that the ME series is on ice definitely means we won't see a sequel to Andromeda. There's still hope for some DLC, as Bioware has a history of other studios developing DLC content (I believe that The Descent and Leviathan were developed in Austin?), but given how badly it was received, it's unlikely we'll ever see what actually happened to the Quarian Ark or find out what really happened to Jien Garson. Which sucks, I've been replaying it recently and it's not a bad game by any means, and there are a lot of story holes that really do need addressing. DLC is the perfect way to conclude these stories, but then we get back to the argument that the holes shouldn't have been there in the first place.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

EL BUMPO

As I said in the PC gaming thread, I tend to play a lot of the same games over and over cause I am so picky.

Decided to try Andromeda again since I can now add mods and play on PC instead of PS4. I was thinking mods might save this game for me, the way it revitalized Fallout 4 for me. I bumped this thread after going back and reading my complaints… turns out after adding about 50 mods the only complaints addressed are the visual quirks.

So less Fallout and more Cyberpunk in terms of mod service. That said, my Ryder, and game in general, looks amazing. Modders have done so much to make this game look great. I really need a better PC monitor to appreciate it. I’ve got new looks for most of the squad, always felt like this game had a lot of punchable faces, like Gil and Liam. My Cora rules, somebody skinned her to look more like she did in concert art, which was more Miranda-ish. 

Aside from graphical changes, I’ve also added some mods to help with gameplay— one that adds the unique powers from multiplayer, one that makes the more rare gear purchasable, some power and weapon balancing.

Normally I don’t like mods that cheat things, but just enhance, but I did add this one that turns loot boxes into their credit equivalent, and another that makes the kiosk on the Tempest have access to all the stores. I feel like the crafting system and stores inventory made it so you had to fly all Over the cluster twice to build something and selling gear. These mods eliminate all that running around. Kind of a cheat, but also, such a time waster before.

Added a mod to un-nerf the Nomad because, again, leveling is one thing but requires money-based mod leveling is bullshit.

Given most of my complaints in this thread were about story and content, I probably won’t come away loving this play through— but I did like the action so hopefully not having my hopes up I can have a little fun.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.