I'll lay on a lilo till I'm lobster red

I still feel the motion here at home in bed

I tell you it's hard for me to stay away

You ain't been 'till you been high in Montego Bay

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

Come sing me La

Come sing me Montego Bay

Good swift reading! Pleased you enjoyed it - I bought it the other day, so am looking forward to that.

Glad most of you enjoyed the trailer - it is a shame most of them give away too much these days, but it's worked this time with me as its a definite cinema trip for me.

Yeah, it worked for me too (obviously) and after reading and figuring out the whole story, I wouldn't even say the trailer "showed too much," it just.... showed. And yeah, you'll definitely fly through it. It's right at 300 pages and it's quick reading - especially if you're somewhat science savvy and don't have to think too much about some of the jargon.

• 2 weeks later...

You were bang on there - once started, couldn't put it down! Great book, will be interesting to see how it comes across in the film, the way the narrative is structured. Rewatching the trailer, the dramas he goes through look to be well captured.

Lots of good films to look forward to in the second half of this year!

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed with the sentiment that they show too much in the trailer, but having already read the book (very fun, highly recommended), it's not like I was personally spoiled by anything.

Visually, I'm already sold, though that is to be expected with any Ridley Scott film. The real concern with Scott is (as always) that he flattens his characters into scraps of beautiful wallpaper and reduces the emotional impact of their journey into an idea.

Will definitely see this movie. If it's not getting roundly panned by critics and moviegoers at the time of its release, will pay theater prices. If it gets a less-than-stellar reception, will wait a few months and watch it at home for dissection purposes.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Looks boring. Trailer showed too much.

If it looks boring, aren't you glad the trailer showed too much, so you can avoid it? I know I am. I'll probably netflix it, but definitely not seeing it in the theater.

• 1 month later...

Looks awesome, Ryn. Thanks!

Looks boring. Trailer showed too much.

If it looks boring, aren't you glad the trailer showed too much, so you can avoid it? I know I am. I'll probably netflix it, but definitely not seeing it in the theater.

The book sounded "meh" to me at first, too -- sounded like a 90 page story stretched out to four times its reasonable length -- but it was fun and tense and awesome pretty much all the way through. Unless there is an obvious consensus that Scott failed to achieve anything resembling the fun/tense/awesome feelers of the book, I'd urge you to reconsider. His movies are generally worth seeing on the big screen or not at all.

• 1 month later...

I liked it a lot, and expect it to garner quite a few award noms.

The emotional stakes weren't quite there for me like they were when reading but that is to be expected. It still worked quite well.

Definitely recommended. All the "we saw everything in trailers, I'll wait until BluRay" people will really miss out.

This was pretty good. Probably one of the better films that Scott has done since Gladiator. It's a kind of a slow burner. It definitely gets better as it goes along, but the premise itself is so played out that for the first twenty or thirty minutes I just felt like "Great. Guy alone in space. Seen it." The major problem (early on) for me being the question of why am I supposed to care about Matt Damon's character. Why am I supposed to care if he stays alive or why everyone else on earth seems to want him to stay alive? So, basically there's nothing at stake until an hour into the film when you finally start to sympathize with the character. I like my sci-fi steeped in philosophical exploration. This has none (other than the responsibility of "risking six lives for one"). It's more like a Discovery channel "what if" documentary on surviving on an uninhabitable planet, and all the diverse challenges inherent in doing so. But, to the movie's credit it does it very well and in a creative and entertaining fashion. That's just not really my cup of tea.

I think this was fairly successful in separating itself from the herd of other "alone in space" movies thanks to it's overall cheeky, lighthearted, 'championing of the human spirit' vibe. The tone is a bit weird at times, but it does alternate between laughable and tense moments quite well. I will say though that it almost always telegraphs its mood changes, especially when an impending "complication" is thrown into the mix.

Random observation: Kristin Wiig stands in the background like a cardboard cutout, looking like she's trying to suppress a fart the whole movie.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.