Fallout 4

Odine

The game looks great

So jealous of you guys

I can't justify purchasing this for PC, because I'll spend more time modding it than actually playing

I can't justify getting an Xbox One over a single title

That's what happened with Skyrim, but maybe that had to do with playing the game over 150 hours on PS3. There was just that much to do, besides playing through the story.

I ended up getting this for the PS4, even though my secondary PC in the livingroom is better hardware. There's just something about seeing that trophy pop up as if someone is cheering you on as you play.

I got Witcher 3 for the PC and pretty much quit playing it after about 15 hours. Fallout 4 is just a much better game.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just about done working my way through this. There are 3 endings, so I'm trying to get the rest of those and finish off the rest of my trophies. Super great game! I find myself getting lost in it for hours and hours at a time. Couldn't recommend enough

As for the building, you actually dont have to do that at all if you dont want to.

3 endings being 3 different factions you side with to complete main quest. But my experience has been that the journey has affected my ending and given it more meaning than the actual 'end' did. The longer you prolong the finish, the better. And like all great Bethesda games the 'end' is only a stage.

• 5 months later...

Spoilers for one of the endings...

... for serious...

... Okay, I finished my storyline, and from what I've read it isn't super unique as there are only a few options. But I have to say, choosing a faction and seeing things out completely ruined the game for me.

NONE of the factions are written well enough to warrant really caring about the cause. The Minutemen and The Railroad seem good natured, but are really passive. The Brotherhood and Institute have all the great toys, but are both techno-cults in disguise.

I suppose your alignment helps you decide-- if you want... but I found it really lame that there was no compelling story reason to join any of the factions save for the Institute because it was run by Sean-- the only ongoing plot thread there has been. I know people do it, (monsters) but how do you NOT side with The Institute give that is where the plot leads you.

I read online about (again monsters) shooting father and bailing. He's a knob, but come on.

Anyway, because I play good, and because I'm a parent I went with them. At first, I thought I could change their image-- after all I brokered a peace with the Minutemen, the do-gooders you are sided with first. I was thinking I was going to Commander Sheppard the hell out of this place and make some peace.

But then Father/Son says the Brotherhood has to go.

Well... Okay. They ARE dicks.

But then I have no choice but to kill the Railroad. A bunch of nice people in their little cave. I felt bad executing Desdemona and then dropping a bunch of pulse mines as I ran out, killing all the idiots that tried to chase me.

And man was Nick Valentine mad at me later. I'd stuck with him mostly as my partner, because despite his constant ability to block my line of fire and alert badguys that were trying to sneak around, I liked him for getting through terminals.

Anyway-- point is, major misstep with the factions and game endings here. Sean being The Institute with no real big pay off is lame. If you don't choose them, at least make a big story point out of that! (they don't, I looked it up).

Agreed - I played through all the faction endings and none really left me satisfied or caring about who I joined. It seemed like they wanted to approach it in the same way New Vegas did, but it just didn't work. And towards the end honestly it felt too combat focused, I would of liked to have used some other skills I'd built up on.

That said Far Harbor is definitely worth checking out - new landmass and addresses a lot of the complaints with the main campaign.

Edit: thinking about it though, while this Fallout has had the least interesting story, I've actually found I've had more fun than in other games just exploring, mucking around and playing with settlements. Some areas of the map are beautiful and it's good to finally have some variety in the colour palette than just drab green or brown.

I found I had the same problem. Who do you side with? The techno-fascist xenophobic Brotherhood? The bleeding heart fanatical Railroad? The wishy-washy do-gooders but ultimately sorta useless without you Minutemen? Or the oppressive, out of touch, we-know-better-because-we're-cleverer-than-you Institute?

I've completed it with all 4, and honestly, not one of them has made me feel good about their ending (then again, what Fallout game ever really lets you feel good about doing anything other than handing out random bottles of water to people who need it). I tend to either side with the Brotherhood (POWER ARMOUR BITCHES) or the Minutemen, because out of all the factions, the Brotherhood has the noblest goals (protecting us from ourselves), but the Minutemen, who I tend to prefer, just wants to make things better by getting people to look out for their neighbour, and it's the Minutemen that usually win out.

Tho I think I'll do what my friend has done on my newest playthrough, which is get as far as just before the battle at Bunker Hill and go no further with the main story. Sounds kinda weak, but that way, all the factions are still friendly, you can still do all the different never-ending quests (think they're called radial quests?), and the only fights you'll come across are factions vs. Raiders and Super Mutants. Plus he's level 150-something and can bitch-slap deathclaws and Behemoths by farting at them, so he must be doing something right.

I gotta say the endings were a bit of a let down, and I didn't particularly like being forced to side with a faction anyways. I always prefer to be a bit of a lone wolf in these type of games. Think I killed father in the first playthrough and sided with the brotherhood. Second playthrough I joined the institute. Minutemen were lame.

For some reason Fallout 4 doesn't have the longevity that other titles have had. I mean, Skyrim I put in well over 300 hours and I could still probably start a new game and find it just as fun. New Vegas was amazing like that too.. But with fallout 4 something was just a little flat. I mean I loved playing it, but after a while...it just didn't really hold my interest anymore. I had no desire to explore every little nook and cranny. Maybe expectations got in the way?

I still love the shit out of Bethesda, but I hope they can capture lightening in a bottle with the next elder scrolls (whenever that is). Otherwise they might have trouble competing in the RPG market with devs like CD project red starting to kick ass.

How could you kill father!/ i don't get it. I ean, I know some people don't care and just play chaos-- but the story's only true narrative was to find your son...

And i am NOT a Bathesda fan. These games are okay, but they never resonate with me. Give me a Mass Effect style story any day. Mass Effect gave me legit FEELS.

And man was Nick Valentine mad at me later. I'd stuck with him mostly as my partner, because despite his constant ability to block my line of fire and alert badguys that were trying to sneak around, I liked him for getting through terminals.

None of this makes real sense to me, but, boy, did it make me laugh.

For some reason Fallout 4 doesn't have the longevity that other titles have had. I mean, Skyrim I put in well over 300 hours and I could still probably start a new game and find it just as fun. New Vegas was amazing like that too.. But with fallout 4 something was just a little flat. I mean I loved playing it, but after a while...it just didn't really hold my interest anymore. I had no desire to explore every little nook and cranny. Maybe expectations got in the way?

I found it the other way - I got bored of Skyrim after a while as it felt the dungeons and environments got too repetitive. I'm not saying each area in Fallout 4 looks unique but there does seem to a be a bit more variety. Visually and aesthetically anyway, quest wise Fallout 4 has probably been the worst I've played.

I don't think it's fair to compare to Mass Effect. To me Fallout/Elder Games stories are built around the game environments, whereas Mass Effect's environment is built around the story. I can f**k around for hours in Fallout without touching the story and get just as much out of the game. In Mass Effect the story was imperative to the gameplay.

How could you kill father!/ i don't get it. I ean, I know some people don't care and just play chaos-- but the story's only true narrative was to find your son...

And i am NOT a Bathesda fan. These games are okay, but they never resonate with me. Give me a Mass Effect style story any day. Mass Effect gave me legit FEELS.

I killed him cause I felt the whole schpiel (sp) he was giving me was a con. Plus I wasn't a fan of the main narrative anyway. None of it made sense. Your sons missing and yet you're encouraged to fuck around for ages building settlements instead of finding him? It was all a little out of alignment. I felt no attachment to the old white haired guy infront of me. If he was my son, he certainly lived his life..an ample one at that. He was just another power player manipulating people for his own purposes. I didn't feel much either way about killing him.

I found it the other way - I got bored of Skyrim after a while as it felt the dungeons and environments got too repetitive. I'm not saying each area in Fallout 4 looks unique but there does seem to a be a bit more variety. Visually and aesthetically anyway, quest wise Fallout 4 has probably been the worst I've played.

I don't think it's fair to compare to Mass Effect. To me Fallout/Elder Games stories are built around the game environments, whereas Mass Effect's environment is built around the story. I can f**k around for hours in Fallout without touching the story and get just as much out of the game. In Mass Effect the story was imperative to the gameplay.

thats true about the visual design of Skyrim dungeons.. but the world still felt more rich to me somehow. The quests and story lines were miles better in Skyrim. And maybe it was just that lightening in a bottle thing. At that point in time, a world based around norse mythology with elves, dragons and magic, set in a snowy mountainous environment with tundra plains was perfect for me at the time. And the world of post apocalyptic boston in fallout 4, for some reason didn't have the same magic for me. I don't know why, because on paper it should. And I've played every fallout game since the first in 1997. Its a franchise that I actively try and love. I dunno.. it just didn't have the legs this time around..

Sick!

I keep telling myself next time I sell some work I'm gonna buy myself a gaming rig as my reward. I've never had a high-end gaming machine and Id absolutely love to mod the shit out of skyrim with enb's and 4k textures, the works, just cause I wanna experience it at its best. Plus, you know, PCs beat consoles for graphical fidelity and performance.

Little jealous, Pong.

That's one of the things about Bethesda games... the modding community is amazing. And the vanilla version of most Elder Scrolls and post-Fallout 2 releases is really just a glorious framework. The modders make the games look and play better, and sometimes even add more depth and meaning to the storylines.

It's kind of a weird way to go into a gaming experience, knowing you're only getting the engine with some coverings, but it works for me.

That's ultimately why I never got around to buying an XBox One: the only games that are guaranteed to hold my attention for more than 10 minutes are open-world RPGs, and I knew I'd ultimately be disappointed with Fallout 4 out of the box.

The only reason I got Fallout 4 for the XBox One was because I knew modding was coming. I have 3 and NV for PC and I still play them, almost purely for the modded experience. I love the full replacement mods, like the Warhammer 40K replacer that just worked so well, and I'm looking forward to seeing what can be brought to consoles in that regard.

Tho to be fair, I have hundreds more hours logged on Skyrim and I didn't really mod that much, just some texture packs, bug fixes, couple of useful little changes (like quest markers for the Stones of Barenziah and a mod that lit up books that you'd read in a different colour to those you hadn't) and a player home or 2.

I have yet to play Far Harbour, but the other 2 DLCs have been kinda disappointing so far.

Agreeeeeeed

I've often asked myself "Why does Bethesda make games where it is the player's job to fix some of the more persistent minor bugs, to make the experience more immersive, intense, etc.?

Kind of like how I question the logic of going out and buying a take-and-bake pizza when I don't feel like cooking (happens more often than I'd like to admit).

But while I agree the bugs are annoying, if they DID fine-tune the experience, those of us who like the control and customization options would absolutely be raising holy hell about how rigid everything is, sooooooo...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.