Fallout 4

Odine

Doubtful.

For one, you've always been able to pick the gender of your character in Fallout, there have been gender-based perks, and sequels tend toward more options.

For two, the Fallout series does a good job of giving its fans what they want without creating a "Homer Car" game or miles-wide-inch-deep experience. They know fans want the option of playing either gender; players would be pissed if the option of playing a female character isn't available in the new one -- as would people who don't even play video games who just wanna be angry about it.

Not much to see in the teaser, but I'm still excited. This be my favorite series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Pre-ordered mine on Amazon yesterday so I'd have it waiting on me when I get home from work Tuesday. I don't know if this applies to everyone, but Amazon instantly gave me ten bucks off of it when I ordered for some random reason. So that's cool.

they have been doing that with a lot of new releases lately if you pre order. it does apply to everybody, but still very cooll

I don't love non-linear stories, I dislike leveling up in order to progress, and I despise farmin/crafting... But this looks too beautiful and fun to pass up.

You really don't have to worry about any of this.

Besides the first game, which had a 100 day limit or something (I don't remember how long it was -- I think it may also have been removed later?), the story can be as linear or non-linear as you like. Certain world-events may change the parameters, but you can follow (or not follow) the story at your leisure. It's part of the charm. With games like Fallout/Elder Scrolls, I have found that I prefer a linear story with breaks for "side adventures" (but not so many they become overwhelming), with characters who have very different skills and personalities. Basically, do 25-35% of the "side" stuff each time through the main adventure. This gives like, 3-4 really unique playthroughs. In addition, since this style of play artificially limits the swag and number of things your character can become godlike in, it keeps the game challenging in different ways, too.

Leveling is not an issue either; if you just want to get from point A to B in the story (without using exploits/cheats), your actions will cause you to level up naturally, so you won't feel any artificial caps on your progress.

Finally, farming and crafting are purely matters of personal preference, as well. You aren't playing against other players, so it's not like you'll need to farm or buy a crapton of extra stuff to compete with the freaks who live through their character and are on 24/7. Crafting is not necessary, either. Skill points are (kinda) finite; if you choose to be a crafter but it's not the way you enjoy playing, you may be cheating yourself out of other skills and perks that will make survival easier for the way you prefer to play.

In other words -- your fears are unfounded. Have fun and play how ya want!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.