kid names

Burt

Best name combo I had in the classroom was a kid named Justin case.

I had a girl in my class in high school named Paige Turner. :D

My name ended up leaving me with the nickname Cola since my sister was unable to say my entire name when she was little and settled on that for some reason I still don't get! It's stuck with me ever since. :/

And that kid is going to hate them once he's 13. I personally think it's a terrible idea for a parent to subject a kid to their hobbies/interests/likes. It's like not allowing them to develop their own identity beyond the parents fandom.

That's just me-- people can name their kid what they like, I just never would do it.

Heh. I know someone who named his kid Anakin. The kid is around 13 now and fine with it.

How do you *not* introduce your kid to your likes/interests, though? I mean, it'd be harder for me not to show my kid Star Wars than to have them avoid it. It's like if you really like a certain sports team but refuse to take your kid to a game.

Besides, I fully expect my kid to backlash and hate Star Wars once they're old enough. One of my friends has a daughter who doesn't like it because "it's Mommy's thing."

As far as names go I think you can do a whole lot worse than Anakin. Not that I'd ever call MY kid that. Not that I have kids. I'd sooner call my kid Anakin than John or James or Matthew or anything like that. No disrespect to anyone with those names... Just personally would rather something a little different than a Biblical name. And as far as inspiration for names go Star Wars is no worse a source than the bible.

I have found that regardless of the direction taken to naming your child everyone else, like in all things, has an opinion.

As such naming a child Anakin could be seen as like naming your child Heinrich Himmler. And yeah, I always thought it was daft that Leia and Han had a child and named him Anakin too.

Names, regardless of origin, have meaning; crafted by the world, the namer and eventually by the named.

So making a name your own is absolutely possible and can be an important part of coming to terms with yourself, regardless of your given name. Whether you disregard the name's implications, accept the thought process that gave you that name /or if you change your name you are making valid resolutions to this small part of coming to know yourself.

Coming back to me, as a parent and my particular process; I did my best to not lay additional weight to my childrens' names. Doesn't mean my way was right. Doesn't mean the names I chose have no weight. Doesn't mean my kids like their names (Ryan joking or not adores his brother Dylan James name and Kylie wishes she was named whatever she is into on any given day). What it means is names are incredibly personal, so unless someone intentionally abuses the process (eg. Assclown Jones) then whatever...

I grew up with a kid named Michael Jordan. Now he was born before Jordan himself ever became a star. I think it's funny to see all the kids now with the name Shaquille. Just as in a few years when kids start getting older you will see more and more Lebrons and Barracks out there.

I hated my first name enough to go by my middle name (Burt). Yes, I actually go by Burt in life. What sealed the deal was seeing my first name in driver's ed class...3 times....as the drunk driver in those educational videos with the hypothetical scenarios.

I think my name, Garrison, is the perfect amount of unique. My dad's name is Gary, so I'm Gary's-son. Works on several levels.

Oh and give your kid two middle names. I love having two middle names.

It's not that unique. I grew up Roman Catholic and I have a bajillion middle names.

My dad gave me his first name but a different middle name, and from birth I was called by the middle name. While I love my middle name (by default, the first name kinda sucks) it's caused so much confusion over the years. Every official document has me by my first name, so when I give them the middle name chaos tends to ensue.

I'm doing the Ancestry.com thing and finding two basic names that were given to my mother's father and his ancestors that just flip-flop through the years. My G-pa is Henry Andrew-his father was Andrew Henry-HIS dad was Henry Andrew-and it goes back 5 generations so far.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.