kid names

Burt

Of course you'd absolutely know best, especially in regards to your Ma. However Ericka with a CK is an accepted and older (than modern times) variation. It seems to be derived from a combination of the English (Erica) and mixed European versions (Erika).

It doesn't seem to be as modernly silly as something like Roben for Robin, which I've seen and I hoped was a combination of Reuben and Robin but turned out the guy's parents truly intended to name their son Robin. It was a humorous moment when he told me, I was like uhh wow umm and he was just like yeah sigh.

Of course you'd absolutely know best, especially in regards to your Ma. However Ericka with a CK is an accepted and older (than modern times) variation. It seems to be derived from a combination of the English (Erica) and mixed European versions (Erika).

It doesn't seem to be as modernly silly as something like Roben for Robin, which I've seen and I hoped was a combination of Reuben and Robin but turned out the guy's parents truly intended to name their son Robin. It was a humorous moment when he told me, I was like uhh wow umm and he was just like yeah sigh.

I've never seen an Ericka entry on any website that doesn't redirect to one of the other versions so I've just always assumed those were the 'correct' forms. But yeah my mom put the CK to match my brother's name - eRICKa - so in this case I still say she's just stupid.

Speaking of Robin - a girlfriend spells hers 'Robbyn' and just named her daughter Evynn and I still don't know how I feel about it.

My mother in law (Diana Lee) wanted to name my poor sister in law after herself and my husband (her firstborn, Trevor) but also liked the name Cheyene. So now the kid is named Treva Chyannalee. She despises most of it and prefers just Chyanna or just Chy (rhymes with shy).

I have a very simple test when it comes to names. Would British royalty use it to name their kid?

If the answer is yes, then the name is acceptable. If the answer is no, then with few exceptions, the name is either a) too trendy; b) for poor people; or some combination of both.

You can tell a lot about a person's upbringing and class based on their name. Why some parents would be willing to put their kid at an immediate disadvantage is puzzling to me, but then again, most parents aren't fit to have children so perhaps it shouldn't be surprising after all.

And one thing I'll add- though my test may result in what people would consider boring names; a name should be just that- classic, and yes, a little boring. Something that wouldn't sound out of place in the year 1600 or today.

I've never understood people that want to name their kids something 'exciting' or 'not boring,' A child is a f-cking human being, not your plaything. It does not exist for you as an object of your whimsy. Getting too creative with a name is one of the ultimate expressions of vanity that I can think of.

Ask any young kid growing up- he just wants a boring, "normal" name; they want to fit in and not be noticed or made fun of. A grown adult wants, similarly, a boring name- one that doesn't raise the eyebrows when the resume gets passed around the table, a name that makes people think they're just a normal guy, and not that they had hippie parents or grew up poor.

Why parents don't get this really fundamental point is very puzzling to me.

I have a very simple test when it comes to names. Would British royalty use it to name their kid?

If the answer is yes, then the name is acceptable. If the answer is no, then with few exceptions, the name is either a) too trendy; b) for poor people; or some combination of both.

You can tell a lot about a person's upbringing and class based on their name. Why some parents would be willing to put their kid at an immediate disadvantage is puzzling to me, but then again, most parents aren't fit to have children so perhaps it shouldn't be surprising after all.

So if a person's heritage is Chinese they should name their children using names suitable for the British Monarchy?

Okay, maybe I was being silly. Of course an Asian-American or whatever can lean on their ancestry. My bad.

So if a person's heritage is Irish, as in the Republic of, they should name their children using names suitable for the British Monarchy?

;-)

• 2 months later...

Used to belong to Badbabynames. com, where they had forums just for making fun of bad names. The most infamous was Myrackle, intended to be a cutesy spelling of "Miracle," but which looked exactly like My-rackle. If a baby is born sick and barely survives, I understand the temptation to give her a name reflecting the fact that she survived against all odds. But they at least could spell the word correctly. That poor girl probably gets called My-rackle to this day. Superflous Ys also got made fun of. Why choose Morgan when you can go with Morgynne? Why Madison when "Madysin," "Madysynne," Maddisyn," or a dozen other variations look cooler? Not sure how popular some of these trends are anymore. That was several years ago. I joked with a friend that she should spell her name "Jynnyfyr" on all her artwork.

My dad was named Ceylon Ambrose. Ceylon is the British Empire name for the island of Sri Lanka, and I guess his mom thought it was a great name for a baby. He had a brother named Omar. My mother was Mary Armaline. She told me her middle name was French. I got named Lois Vivian, after my aunts Lois (my dad's sister) and Vivian (mom's sister). My brother, inexplicably, ended up with Lee Merle, neither of which is in the family. My parents just wanted names that were uncommon and short.

Guest El Chalupacabra

So if a person's heritage is Chinese they should name their children using names suitable for the British Monarchy?

Okay, maybe I was being silly. Of course an Asian-American or whatever can lean on their ancestry. My bad.

So if a person's heritage is Irish, as in the Republic of, they should name their children using names suitable for the British Monarchy?

;-)

Haha! You know CM, he definitely has got you there. I understand naming a kid a classic name because it is timeless, but why royal names, and why British royal names, specifically? Sometimes you sound like you are channeling David Ogden Stiers. Not to mention, as THT points out, what of names from other cultures and ethnicities, especially if said name is a classic name in that culture? While I find trendy names pretty annoying myself, and in some cases I question what hallucinogen the parent was on when they gave their kid a name not even fit for a cat or dog, that was a pretty ridiculous statement for you to make, and Torchie just owned you there.

And besides, exactly how far does this British royal name requirement go back? 300 years? 500? 1500? The closer to modern times, the more limited you are (how many Kings Henry, George, and Edward do the Brits need, anyway?), and the further you go back, the more the names sound like something out of a Tolkien novel.

Carrie is openly a snob (no offense intended - just a fact), so why any surprise or questioning? That's like asking Mara why she would only name her kids Star Wars names - Mara wants to live in Star Wars, Carrie wants to be royalty.

Guest El Chalupacabra

What you say is true and it's something I already know. But I am curious as to her thought process, and want to see in her own words the rationalization of it all.

Just like this video, you can't help but watch and be interested....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.