kid names

Burt

Did you go with a normal name or kind of out there? We went very traditional with the first, but for my upcoming daughter I am mixed between a few traditional names and out there names. I really like the name Phoebe for a girl, after the bird and Greek goddess, not the sitcom character. Its gotten mixed reactions thus far.

I liked non-traditional names because my first name was so common growing up. Although, Ethan is a really popular name now, but it was the only boy name we both liked.

I think Phoebe doesn't necessarily associate with Friends. It was a unique name then, but not so much anymore. But Gen Xers will probably associate with that show.

For Lyra I definitely came into it knowing what I wanted, which was a book reference, which in turn got it's inspiration from a constellation. Fun to have it be both literary and space at the same time.

For this one, it's Katie's turn to pick, and we generally wanted a reasonable name, but not one that's TOO common. If it was on the social security's top 100 list, it was pretty much eliminated (which was hard for a few names we both liked). It's looking pretty likely to be Elliott (increasing in popularity, annoyingly), but we're not setting it in stone yet.

Nothing wrong at all with traditional names. They've survived the test of time for a reason. But unique stuff is fun, provided you don't go TOO far out there. It took a lot of people, including my mother in law, time to warm up to Lyra, but she got over it pretty quick, haha.

I wanted something recognizable yet different. So we went with Noah, not realizing that it was going to be in the Top 10 every year. Probably should have looked that up, but it was the first name with both agreed on. If we ever have a girl, it's going to be a fight because I'm going to want something much more uncommon. But that's a big IF since I'm not 100% sure we can even have any more.

Growing up with a unique name pretty much runs the gamut between really awesome and a big ol' bummer. It was nice not being immediately judged based on your name and nice to be complimented on it frequently. But it did kinda suck not having anybody able to pronounce it correctly the first time and not being able to buy keychains with your name on them. :shrug:

I don't remember how we came up with Oliver-- but there was listing going on, and it was a contender early on. I think we wanted an old school name, but not a super common one. It may have actually been because we were thinking it was going to be a girl at first and we gravitated to Olivia/Olive quickly.

That's my cats name! HA!

Just an FYI, my Dad wanted his girl children to hyphenate. So he never gave us middle names so we would have room to hyphenate our last names when we got married. That turned out really well. I picked a guy who was gay and my sister hooked up with an azian with mommy issues. Neither of us got hitched.

I have liked the girls name Acacia for a really long time. It's a plant that makes a sweet smell when it rains.

No matter what you name your kid I guarantee you won't call them by their birth name unless you're really mad at them. Some friends still call their kid Peanut.

As long as you do not name your child Angel you will be fine. Every child I have ever taught in my life named Angel was anything but. They tended to be the most annoying, selfish and self centered brats.

Also putting your own spin on a name by changing the spelling around will cause your child to be annoyed with their name because everyone will mispronounce it their whole life.

Well, with our first boy we went with Johniqua, so...

What I meant was, when we found out that our first was going to be a girl, we started discussing names. My two favorite female names have always been Megan and Amber and were at the top of my list. I tried them together and my wife actually liked the way it sounded, so our daughter became Megan Amber. When Thing Two was on the way, another girl, I came up with the idea of having the middle name be another "stone" name (yeah, yeah, amber isn't a true stone). So, I really liked the name Alexis and my started trying various stone names with it and eventually we ended up with Alexis Jade.

I personally went somewhere in the middle, neither ultra-common nor unconventional. Honestly, though, we mostly just went with what we liked. We did take into account things like potential nicknames, potential ways kids at school could make fun of it, what the initials would be, and things like that. Always good to think ahead.

The daycare has a Nicolle who is an administrator. This screws with autocorrect so badly.

It's ok, Burt, I don't think any of us have a Jaxon. ;) We did like Jackson but it was very trendy and still on the rise.

My husband always teased me that I liked boy names for girls and the hard c sound for boys. It's a fair criticism. My favorite names (other than what we named them) was Avery, Hayden and Adair for girls, and Colin, Kellan, and something else along those lines for a boy. Ethan was very nearly Colin but I knew my husband didn't like it as much as Ethan.

Was his named spelled Sven and pronounced Seven? That I can see.

I've seen Natas and Ganondorf.

My wife and I had both lost our dads in the 4 years leading up to our son's birth, so we went with their middle names. Louis Michael.

For our daughter... I have no clue still.

My wife and I stuck to what I guess is traditional/common names. We gravitated to names with etymology based in my British history. My wife just wanted names she liked, I liked names with some tie to something I liked or history etc.

Ryan Andrew

Kylie Elizabeth

Dylan James

Wyatt Oliver

All very common and popular, oh well lol, but they were chosen for specific reasons; eg. Dylan James was taken from Dylan Thomas the Welsh Poet and James Cook the British Explorer. And likely other sources, but those at the top of the list.

Afterthought: The second letter Y thing, that was unintentional for the first two. Then with the third I joked the new baby might wonder Y he was different if we didn't follow the trend.

I tell no lie. We called her 'Tulla. I guess her Mom wanted something to match her older sisters name, Sho'niqua (there was an accent over the a)

My family is pretty much dominated by boys right now so I'll list all the baby names handed out by my sisters, brothers and nieces.

My older step sister had two kids, one a girl named Krista Faith and a boy who she was determined to call by his initials (all my family calls me J or JJ) so his name is AJ short for Andrew Jackson. My older step-brother has three girls - Bridgette, Ashley and Nichol who has legally changed her name to Nick. My step-brother Rob named his girls Lauren and Meghan. My brother Matt named his kids Dean (who we call Dean-bean) and Cameron.

The nieces all have boys. Bridgette named her boys Liam, Hayden and Nixon. Ashley named her boys Camden and Bryson. Nick named her boys Kai and Pax. My close friend who would have been my brother-in-law has a Nicholas who we call Nickle and a second boy named Patrick was born last month (they had his tongue clipped - I didn't know this was a thing). I have another niece who has one girl named Eleana Wren and a little girl they adopted named Collette. Another niece has a boy named Kaydon.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Here's a few weird names I've run across:

Anfrony (yes with an f and no a th)

Atari, yeah, like the game console

Rollz Royce (seriously, z and all)

October

Major

Unique

I had a kid named sven in my class. Yes that another way of saying the number 7.

My wife usually gets a bunch of word names every other year it so it seems. She had a set of fraternal twins one year. One named Caradio and the other Lemangelo. Yep.

I had a customer once named Debby Dallas and one named Gay Friendly. They were both really old ladies.

I often wonder when I hear a name that's just some random English noun if these parents are from a different country or spoke a different language. In which case, it wouldn't be so odd. My parents named me after a color/fruit, but it's French so not many people realize how mundane and odd it is.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.