BB King Dies

monkeygirl

https://www.yahoo.com/music/b-b-king-the-man-who-saved-the-blues-one-note-119012972506.html

And this brings up a subject (for me) that I don't understand.

Facebook friends today are all typing about this, of course, but most of them post something that seems to be directed TO Mr. King, like "I saw you in 1995 and it was great!"

YET THEY KNOW HE'S DEAD. WHY address the post TO him? If you get this, please explain it to me.

I don't CARE-I just don't understand and would like to. It's something I see MANY people do so it must be a thing and I like to understand things.

I mean, they clearly know he has died-this is WHY they're posting...

I also see it in obits but mostly in social media.

Heathen.

Tami, I think it's just a way of paying tribute. Like making a farewell toast: "Here's to you, _____. We're sure going to miss you...". Or talking out loud to dead loved ones. People do that sort of thing quite a bit, I'd say. I know that since my father passed away, there have been a few moments when I said something like, "Man, I wish you were here to see this, Dad" out loud. It's more for us than them, really. Or maybe both. Hell, if we think the dead can hear us, why not believe they can read Facebook? :shrug:

well-THANKS! I think that's probably it-that makes sense to me, anyway.

NOW. Can you tell me why we dress up and make-up our dead people, prop them up in an open box and pray in front of the bodies for 3 days? This has horrified me since I was 4.

Alright, Pong, I love you again.

BB was far from a "technical" great, but few (if any) played with more feeling. And as we know, technique and speed without feel aren't worth much in the eyes of most musicians. Also, as much of a deserved guitar legend BB was, I think it often gets overlooked what a great blues singer he was. He would often talk about his style (spawned from an inability to play and sing at the same time) as a call and response between himself and Lucille and his voice and his playing really did go hand in hand. They were both equally distinctive, charming, and memorable.

BB King made me a blues fan. He opened the door and then held it wide. Part of his greatness was the fact that he managed to break into mainstream consciousness, despite playing a musical style that is far from mainstream. I remember seeing and hearing him here and there growing up (I distinctly remember seeing him on the Cosby show and he left a big impression) and finally I got curious enough to go beyond my white, suburban tastes for rock and metal and picked up some of his tapes. I loved them, of course. Oddly, he even helped turn me into a jazz fan, because I picked up a tape in the cutaway bin (remember those?) that had BB on Side A and then had (the previously unknown to me) Dave Brubeck on Side B. I'm proud to say that I was able to see both of those legends perform live before they passed away. And I'm better for it.

Great post. To me, the way he was able to bring the blues to a much wider audience without compromising who he was and what he had to say is probably the greatest part of his legacy. Before British kids started stealing the blues, his style was falling out of favor with the younger black community in favor of more up-tempo pop/jazz faire, but he refused to update his style; he always believed in what he was playing, regardless of its popularity, and oh man, did that end up paying off for him in a big way!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.