CBS Supergirl

Gman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few things...

The posted link about the inlfuence of the Donner Superman films is evident; Benoist adopts the "bumbling" act as Kara Danvers as much as Reeves' Kent.

Like Superman the Movie, an aerial near-disaster forces the public debut of the superhero. Series Olsen even mentions that such a rescue was Superman's first act.

Waiting for someone out there to complain about Jimmy Olsen's race and any relationship he might have with Kara.

The D.E.O. subplot..well, I see that possibly going the way of the Project Cadmus / Galatea storyline from Justice League Unlimited. That would make a nice arc leading to a season finale. That would holdmore interest than the existing Kryptonian villain angle.

If there's a low point in the show, its the sort of dodgy FX.

In the character's defense, she should not know how to throw a punch, especially if she was raised as run of the mill, safe girl.

Yeah, incorporating the fact that there are a lot of bad guys she can't just rely on being "super" against, learning how to fight would be a good way to develop the character.

Pretty dumb and by-the-numbers debut, to be honest, but there are plenty of likable characters and potential story lines that could develop, and it's not like there haven't been shows that started out sucky/derivative (ST:TNG, Seinfeld, Fringe, etc.) but went on to be pretty decent, so I'm not writing it off just yet. Plus, it gets points for not being in a contest to see how gritty and darrrrrk it can be.

Unlike Heroes Reborn, which IMO proved in its debut that it hadn't learned from past mistakes, I'll give this a few episodes before bailing.

My problem is it needs to figure out what it is. Is it a girl power show? Then stop referencing "him" every 5 minutes. And the boss character (whom Twitter dubbed Misogyny Man) needs his comeuppance in the pilot.

I think its a mistake to have Superman around at all if you're not gonna have him on the show. Start the series with of mystery of Him vanishing. Where is he? Who will save the world now? Its hard to take her seriously when Big Brother is around the corner and can step in any time. Plus he's a dick for never visiting her this whole time and not reaching out now that she's in the open.

This is why the show will fail.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I feel like the only superhero fan who hates every superhero TV show. Except Daredevil.

I have zero interest in superhero TV shows, either, and to tell the truth, superhero movies are a dime a dozen, too.

Which is ironic because 10 years ago, there were all kinds of superhero movies I was hoping to be made. Some of them did come to fruition, and let me down. Now, they are so common place, I just have lost interest. And seriously, Supergirl was one of them, but I have no interest in this show, based on the previews. And it's not that there is anything i can point to specifically, either. Just apathy.

My problem is it needs to figure out what it is. Is it a girl power show? Then stop referencing "him" every 5 minutes. And the boss character (whom Twitter dubbed Misogyny Man) needs his comeuppance in the pilot.

I think its a mistake to have Superman around at all if you're not gonna have him on the show. Start the series with of mystery of Him vanishing. Where is he? Who will save the world now? Its hard to take her seriously when Big Brother is around the corner and can step in any time. Plus he's a dick for never visiting her this whole time and not reaching out now that she's in the open.

This is why the show will fail.

While there were a lot of problems with Supergirl's premiere, "his" constant presence was prolly the biggest issue for me, as well. They can both be in the same universe, but the show will definitely fail if everything she does is in reference to and measured/contrasted against Superman. Just let her develop her own identify without mentioning him every 5 minutes, ffs!!

I love the fact that she's actually having fun becoming a superhero and that we're getting lots of bright, shiny colors and happy music, but again, that only sets this show apart from much of the current superhero fare -- it's not enough to sustain interest unless the characters and storylines are developed on a deeper and more interesting level. That said, one episode in is probably a teensy bit too soon to stress about that.

I like the idea of a superhero show that's not aiming for my demographic. I like the general optimistic tone, and the fact that -- unlike her conflicted cousin -- Kara actually wants to be a hero and isn't being dragged kicking and screaming into the role against her will.

That being said...

It was okay brain candy but not much more than that. The writing was BAD

Ditto. It's not Syfy Original Movie bad yet, but I can't keep forgiving basic dialogue sins of this magnitude indefinitely.

Also, I hate this one-dimensional version of Vartox, whose original pre-Crisis incarnation was much more interesting to me as a kid than his New-52 reboot as a space MRA.

I feel like the only superhero fan who hates every superhero TV show. Except Daredevil.

One of the most liberating thoughts I've had all year was when I reminded myself I'm not legally obligated to watch all the comic-book shows ever. I've been a lot more satisfied with my TV time ever since I kicked Gotham and Agents of SHIELD to the curb.

But I'll defend The Flash to the death.

I got so disappointed with the latter seasons of Smallville, followe by Agents of Shield, that I've had a hard time even considering any others.

I tried watching Gotham but I got bored.

I have zero interest in superhero TV shows, either, and to tell the truth, superhero movies are a dime a dozen, too.

Which is ironic because 10 years ago, there were all kinds of superhero movies I was hoping to be made. Some of them did come to fruition, and let me down. Now, they are so common place, I just have lost interest. And seriously, Supergirl was one of them, but I have no interest in this show, based on the previews. And it's not that there is anything i can point to specifically, either. Just apathy.

Cue Mr. Spock's "...having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting."

El, it was bound to happen--there's no series that will score winners year after year. For me, the MCU is increasingly light on substance, and too assured of its alleged appeal (really wearing thin), Gotham comes off as nothing but more of the dysfunctional / see how dark we are obssion with all things Batman (and who the Hell did they cast as Bruce Wayne??). Agents of Shield just bores me as money grab--that, and the films stand on their own. I don't need a TV series to fill in blanks, or flesh out that which is the responsibility of the films.

I take Supergirl for what it is--an emotionally mid-range series occupying its own universe. It is pleasing to know that it will have to find its way without teasing a connection to BvS.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Cue Mr. Spock's "...having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting."

El, it was bound to happen--there's no series that will score winners year after year. For me, the MCU is increasingly light on substance, and too assured of its alleged appeal (really wearing thin), Gotham comes off as nothing but more of the dysfunctional / see how dark we are obssion with all things Batman (and who the Hell did they cast as Bruce Wayne??). Agents of Shield just bores me as money grab--that, and the films stand on their own. I don't need a TV series to fill in blanks, or flesh out that which is the responsibility of the films.

I take Supergirl for what it is--an emotionally mid-range series occupying its own universe. It is pleasing to know that it will have to find its way without teasing a connection to BvS.

Yeah, Marvel went so many decades without even having many feature films, so it is almost like they are making up for lost time since 2000, and now they are getting into second and third tier characters.

As for Gotham, I have zero interest in a Batman minus Batman show. I didn't think much of Smallville either. I could have been into a Batman Year One type show, where Batman is still honing his craft. But pre-teen Bruce Wayne and relying on Gordon as the principal hero? Doesn't interest me at all.

Not that I have much interest in Supergirl as a series, and I won't likely be watching it, but I think if they want to do it right, they should keep it as self-contained and separate from Batman VS Superman, and any other DC TV series. Otherwise, it will suffer from what Agents of Boring suffer from: a show constantly centered on characters of lesser renown to tide the audience over until the next movie comes out, instead of trying to be its own creature.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.