CBS Supergirl

Gman

That link right there, SD, it's almost seven minutes of story and action. It's like a little pilot. It is fantastic. Watched it twice, when I liked it the first time and felt the upbeat heroism in it I called my kids over to see. We're in. Seems as fun as Flash (I've caught a few episodes, plan to binge on that eventually).

It's Devil Wears Prada, Angel Wears a Cape. Kara seems adorable and honest. I have [superman symbol] this will be good fun.

That link right there, SD, it's almost seven minutes of story and action. It's like a little pilot. It is fantastic. Watched it twice, when I liked it the first time and felt the upbeat heroism in it I called my kids over to see. We're in. Seems as fun as Flash (I've caught a few episodes, plan to binge on that eventually).

It's Devil Wears Prada, Angel Wears a Cape. Kara seems adorable and honest. I have [superman symbol] this will be good fun.

Agreed. Looks way more fun than I was expecting. Will definitely give it a shot.

Are you guys watching something different than I am? Cause that was terrible...

I love the Superfamily as much as you love X-Men. You know, if that helps you understand me gushing over it. XD Plus she smiles! It's like she likes helping people and being awesome powered. In comparison to Nolan/Snyder it's... Yeah.

Supers should just stop trying to rescue planes in distress. What did she do to "help" that the pilots couldn't?

National City? I've never heard of that one in the DC universe. And frankly all the X City (Central, Starling, Gotham, Coast, etc) names in are starting to annoy me. It just shouts "fictional!"

Kara is very earnest. Eager, in fact. I don't know what to think of her yet. She's as eager to be a superhero as Flash is and that's nice. I like the contrast between Flash and Arrow precisely because there is a stark difference between them. I'd like some contrast between her and another hero who is less eager. I don't suppose Batgirl is going to show up here? Like Flash, she'll not need much strategy to fight crime, so where will the plot required difficulties come from? Will she ever need to use her brains rather than just brawn?

The one knock I have is I'm already sick of hearing about "her cousin" and I've only seen 7 minutes of the show. It'd be different if they'd show him and he stop by now and then, but that's not happening. Hopefully the references we saw there are about all there are in the show.

Supers should just stop trying to rescue planes in distress. What did she do to "help" that the pilots couldn't?

National City? I've never heard of that one in the DC universe. And frankly all the X City (Central, Starling, Gotham, Coast, etc) names in are starting to annoy me. It just shouts "fictional!"

Well, if she hadn't helped, the plane would have had a crash landing (versus the much more gentle & controlled landing it did) either into the water or possibly that bridge. So, yes, she did likely save many lives.

-

I don't know of a National City in DC comics, either, though I'm guessing that it may not shout "fictional" quite as loudly for the people that actually live there...

http://www.busybeeslocksmith.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/national-city-locksmith.jpg

Incidentally, there also is a Star City in Arkansas (founded in 1876) and a Central City in Colorado (founded in 1859). I, too, prefer Marvel's approach of using real cities, but since using fictional cities has always (mostly) been DC's method, there's no sense in breaking with tradition now. In the real world, there are dozens and dozens of cities named "_____ City". It just happens that in the DCU, some of those cities happen to build into major metropolises - oooooh, Metropolis!!!! That's not a ____ City!!! See, they have some one!

I was kind of thinking the same! It seems a bit lame from this preview. :(

Still, I must give this a shot because it may end up being a guilty pleasure!

They're just comparing it to Agents of Shield.

Yeah, that's sort of my feeling, too. I know its just a tease...but the job is to give viewers a reason to watch. So far, its only partially interesting. One thing I would not want to see is the this bubbly Supergirl go the route of too many modern comic character adaptations and turn into a brooding, "I'm so dark" bore fest.

Well, if she hadn't helped, the plane would have had a crash landing (versus the much more gentle & controlled landing it did) either into the water or possibly that bridge. So, yes, she did likely save many lives.

The plane ended up in the water. That's a crash. Looked more like she was along for the ride. If Supergirl tried to exert sufficient force to redirect the plane's trajectory, the fuselage would fail before anything else happened. It's just a sequence ripped off from Superman Returns.

-

I don't know of a National City in DC comics, either, though I'm guessing that it may not shout "fictional" quite as loudly for the people that actually live there...

Incidentally, there also is a Star City in Arkansas (founded in 1876) and a Central City in Colorado (founded in 1859). I, too, prefer Marvel's approach of using real cities, but since using fictional cities has always (mostly) been DC's method, there's no sense in breaking with tradition now. In the real world, there are dozens and dozens of cities named "_____ City". It just happens that in the DCU, some of those cities happen to build into major metropolises - oooooh, Metropolis!!!! That's not a ____ City!!! See, they have some one!

That National City sign looks photoshopped. Citation needed.

At any rate, rather than "fictional" I should have said "unimaginative". Yes, there are lots of X City cities out there in reality, and far too many in the DC universe. If you ask me, they're all unimaginatively named.

I don't see how it is any more or less imaginative than using real names or names without a City "surname". I am willing to grant this to you as super annoying for you and understand it on that basis; I afterall will always want to rant about superhero hair colors and styles, even if I manage to restrain myself, trust your instincts... I thought about it. lol

You looked photoshopped!

Anywho, I'm not going to bother defending a picture of a population sign, but if you really doubt its existence, feel free to ask Google. Or Wiki. Or a map of California. Or Krawlie, he's probably familiar with it. Or don't. :shrug:

At this point, the name of the city this show takes place is the least of my concerns for it. I'm just trying really hard to trust the Powers That Be, since Arrow and Flash have both turned out great.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The one knock I have is I'm already sick of hearing about "her cousin" and I've only seen 7 minutes of the show. It'd be different if they'd show him and he stop by now and then, but that's not happening. Hopefully the references we saw there are about all there are in the show.

Well, I suppose they can borrow from Supergirl (1984), and depict a cardboard cutout of Superman.

And frankly, I would have been a lot more interested if this were Powergirl.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.