Captain America: Civil War

Darth Krawlie

Yeah, this was probably my favorite Marvel movie.

Nevermind the hysterical introduction to what is easily the best onscreen Spider-Man, never mind Chadwick Boseman's outstanding Black Panther's, forget the hilarious Falcon/Winter Soldier buddy comedy I didn't know I was going to get, let's just leave aside what was most likely the best superhero movie fight I've ever seen -- bar none.

The ending of this movie was FAN. TASTIC. For the first time in a Marvel movie, I was genuinely emotionally invested in who was going to win the third act fight and I had NO idea what was going to happen, or how they were/are going to recover from this. I completely bought Tony's reason for attacking Bucky, I completely bought Cap's reason for defending Bucky. I had no idea who I wanted to win. PLUS, the villain, who I found very compelling and sympathetic, won in the end and I can't even begrudge him his winning because even he had a totally valid reason for doing what he did.

I was worried about Infinity War for a while. I'm really not worried anymore.

I'd just like to point out one of my favorite moments in the film: during the final fight between Cap and Iron Man, Cap raises the shield and Tony covers his face--but that's not where the shield strikes. Of course Cap wouldn't do that, but Tony, in his rage, probably would have if their positions were reversed.

I saw this. I liked it.

Probably my 1st or 2nd favorite MCU movie. Hard to top how cool the first Avengers was.

Iron Man 1, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Guardians, Civil War are my top 5 probably.........................(...)........................ Avengers 2.

Are we listing now?

In order of awesome:

1. Winter Soldier

2. Civil War

3. Guardians

4. Iron Man

5. Avengers

6. Hulk

7. Ant-Man

8. Captain America

9. Iron Man 3

10. Thor

11. Age of Ultron

12. Thor 2

13. Iron Man 2

I don't really get all the backlash against AOU. Yeah, Ultron was lame, but there was so much fun stuff in that movie, I can overlook Joss Whedon's make-absolutely-every-pun-you-possibly-can dialogue.

Civil War

The Winter Soldier

Avengers
Iron Man

Guardians of the Galaxy

Iron Man 3

Age of Ultron

Ant-Man

The First Avenger

Thor

Hulk

Iron Man 2
The Dark World

AOU is a visual treat and a fun spectacle for sure. But there is zero emotional resonance. It's almost too big. So big it's hard to find an anchor point. Also, some floating city-sized plot holes. Not as bad as IM2s, but big enough that spectacle aside, it rings too hollow for me to love.

Just saw. Enjoyed it.

Bucky needs to stand trial for his crimes. Yes, he was controlled by Hydra, but he did commit those crimes.

His body did, but his mind did not. Automatism, lack of mens rea, it wouldn't take much to convince someone he's not responsible. But it's a movie where he yanked a moving motorcycle out from underneath its rider, so anything's possible.

Tier One (signature films):

1. Captain America: Civil War

2. Captain America: Winter Soldier
3. Guardians of the Galaxy

Tier Two (very good, but with a few nagging flaws):

4. Avengers: Age of Ultron
5. The Avengers
6. Iron Man

Tier Three (surprisingly solid introductions):

7. Thor
8. Ant-Man

Tier Four (competent but lackluster introduction):

9. Captain America: The First Avenger

Tier Five (failures):

10. Iron Man 2
11. Thor: The Dark World
12. The Incredible Hulk
13. Iron Man 3

I never got why people put Iron Man 3 above Iron Man 2. Neither were good, but Iron Man 3 left me angry with how bad it was and how much it messed things up.

I didn't mean to start a list-making trend, but since we're here....

1. Avengers

2. Civil War

3. Guardians

4. Winter Soldier

5. Iron Man 1

---

6. Captain America 1 - Rad movie.

7. Thor 1 - This was pretty neat, but I saw it in 3D the first time and wanted to kill myself.

---

8. Avengers 2 - Fun the first time, really mediocre on rewatch.

9. Thor 2 - I remember not hating this

10. Hulk I remember absolutely nothing about this movie?

11. Iron Man 2 I remember this being kind of dumb.

12. Iron Man 3 "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed."

Still never saw: Ant-Man

Y'all mofos not seeing Ant-Man really need to rethink your lives

And I say this is somebody who mercilessly made fun of the title for three years

Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 left a bad taste in my mouth. I couldn't get motivated to see it. Even with Winter Soldier and Guardians in there those were bad enough for me that with only a cursory interest in Ant-Man I was like "eh, I'll get to it when I get to it."

Y'all mofos not seeing Ant-Man really need to rethink your lives

And I say this is somebody who mercilessly made fun of the title for three years

Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 left a bad taste in my mouth. I couldn't get motivated to see it. Even with Winter Soldier and Guardians in there those were bad enough for me that with only a cursory interest in Ant-Man I was like "eh, I'll get to it when I get to it."

Cosigned.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm getting bored of superhero origin stories (especially those of SWMs - sorry not sorry). :p

Then you missed a well-developed strong female hero origin story too.

FairPoint about origin stories but for me I'm only bored with the ones already know about that we've seen a hundred times. Batman Superman Spider-Man, etc. If I know nothing about them I'm all about it

Just saw. Enjoyed it.

Bucky needs to stand trial for his crimes. Yes, he was controlled by Hydra, but he did commit those crimes.

His body did, but his mind did not. Automatism, lack of mens rea, it wouldn't take much to convince someone he's not responsible. But it's a movie where he yanked a moving motorcycle out from underneath its rider, so anything's possible.

Yeah, but isn't that that kind of determination for a court to make? Cap decided his friend was innocent and so decided that no law, court, or penalty should apply to his friend.

Cap's a good guy, but clearly has no respect for the rule of law.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm getting bored of superhero origin stories (especially those of SWMs - sorry not sorry). :p

Then you missed a well-developed strong female hero origin story too.

FairPoint about origin stories but for me I'm only bored with the ones already know about that we've seen a hundred times. Batman Superman Spider-Man, etc. If I know nothing about them I'm all about it

Friends who've seen the movie have liked it, but wondered why it wasn't Wasp's story instead of Ant-Man's. I imagine I'd have the same reaction, and just end up getting annoyed at Marvel.

(To be fair with the whole origin story thing, I'm really hoping Marvel doesn't go heavy on the backstory for the Captain Marvel movie.)

Just saw. Enjoyed it.

Yeah, but isn't that that kind of determination for a court to make? Cap decided his friend was innocent and so decided that no law, court, or penalty should apply to his friend.

You're skipping over the part where the orders were to shoot on sight, NOT capture him.

Just saw. Enjoyed it.

You're skipping over the part where the orders were to shoot on sight, NOT capture him.

Sorry. I've only seen it once so far. I forgot. Not a surprising order from Ross. Still, that just shows the rule of law is eroding in the MCU.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.