Captain America: Civil War

Darth Krawlie

Every single hero was perfect.

I'll start this by saying that this was probably the top Marvel movie so far, beating out Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy and out Avengering The Avengers. And, yes, it displaced X2 as the best ensemble superhero film ever made. That in place, I'm not sure I agree with this statement.

As I said, they didn't know what to do with The Vision. That's a minor strike, but a strike nonetheless because I was constantly wondering what he was doing during that big fight.

Black Panther was... well I didn't hate him, I just thought he was pretty pedestrian and by the numbers for an African Royalty storyline. For the father/son scene, I swear it felt like they were channeling Eddie Murphy and James Earl Jones from Coming to America. Add in that he was basically there for a

Revenge! ... Nevermind!

storyline and it didn't exactly get me pumped to see his movie. We'll see what they do with him, but it wasn't the world's best set-up.

I mentioned this earlier, but, while I liked this Spider-Man for this movie as a young kid swinging around who won't shut up and is trying to impress the big boys, I'm not sure I want to see him in a solo movie. That's not a vibe I think I want for 150 straight minutes. For a solo movie, I think I wish they'd kept Garfield who I don't think was a bad Spider-Man, matter of fact I thought his chemistry with Emma Stone was great and rescued the otherwise train wreck of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, though people don't seem to agree with me there.

Nothing wrong with Holland's take. I just have doubts on whether it's good foundation for a movie.

This movie was the best! I would have paid 10 dollars for the airport fight scene alone!

As I said, they didn't know what to do with The Vision. That's a minor strike, but a strike nonetheless because I was constantly wondering what he was doing during that big fight.

I was wondering about that but I think he was staying out of the actual fight itself. He only acted twice, once to

try and prevent Cap and Bucky from getting in the hangar

and the next when he

was asked outright to take out Falcon

. I don't know if that was intentional or not for him to hang back but I got the impression that it was.

I like in some many ways this movie was apologizing for Age of Ultron. The plot hinged on the fall out from the climax of that movie and we got all the pathos utterly missing from that movie. Every time somebody said something terrible about what happened in Slovetosniastahn it felt like the Russo's and Maervel were saying, sorry that movie was a clusterfuck! But look we're trying to fix it!

Really, my only complaint was that we needed more with JUST Cap. It was his movie after all.

Also-- my theater had a lobby poster with Peter in the Iron Spider suit-- I thought they spoiled me.. but it never came. Jerks.

I can't freaking wait for Black Panther.

Spider-Man was the biggest scene stealer, although Ant-Man and Falcon were pretty close. For me, this is the best movie version Spidey so far--I think the part where Falcon calls him out for talking so much during a fight really cinched it for me.

Hot Aunt May was unexpected, but I'll allow it. :p

My favorite line of the entire movie is when Spidey says "Man, that thing doesn't follow the laws of physics at all!!" Referring to Cap's gravity defying shield.

I also liked how he mentioned IM told Spidey to go for his legs, something no one ever does even though they're always exposed. :p

Badass movie. Seeing it again as soon as I can.

- RE: Vision...can he function without the mind stone, I wonder? Just imagining a scene where Thanos literally rips it from his head is both awesome and kind of sad at the same time.

- Team Cap and their ending...

If they're all fugitives now, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out when the first big event that put them in this position (Battle of New York) repeats itself (gotta assume Thanos is coming to Earth to "do it himself"). I wonder how, if at all, Ross and the Sokovia Accords will play into them defending Earth.

- I was a little disappointed by Zemo not being a more faithful adaptation of his comic self, but the execution of the MCU alternative quickly outweighs this in an awesome way.

- This is how you do Spider-Man. They knocked that shit out of the park, same for Black Panther.

This was just superb fun: great explosions, greater cameos, and more than a few unexpected poignant moments. Had the usual flaws of these films that I won't dwell on. Big deal.

Saw the IMAX 3D version; recommend IMAX if available, but the 3D is distracting at times, IMO -- but take that as coming from somebody who is not in love with 3D

Not sure where this will end up on "the list," but at this time can't think of a single Marvel/MCU film that I like better. It's just really good!

I think Winter Solider is still a little better in terms of it being a Captain America story about Captain America dealing being a soldier that follows orders vs. an ideal. CW ran with that idea, but the decisions were more BIG instead of personal. This did end up feeling like an Avengers movie more than a Cap movie-- but that's not a complaint.

That's been the party line for months now ... it's Avengers 3. But I disagree. And not just because Hulk and Thor weren't in it. It's Cap's movie and Ironman is the antagonist. Calling this not Cap's movie just because Ironman gets a lot of face time is like calling the first Thor movie Loki's movie because Loki gets a lot of face time and characterization. The antagonist is developed well, that's all.

If it were Cap's movie then it should have stuck to being his POV-- in other words, him in 90% of the scenes, as was the case with the first two. Tony going off to Queens to meet the Parkers, Widow and T'Challa, Stark and Ross-- all needed, all great, but it made the narrative more omniscient.

To me, any Avenger should be in any and all of these movies-- but whomever the movie is based around, the story should stick with them, and the Avenger movies go bigger in terms of being an ensemble story.

Stark had pretty much equal screen time. If this had been Iron Man 4 or Avengers 3 with the same script I don't think we'd have questioned it. Hulk and Thor being in it or not isn't the point-- its all about point of view.

Yeah, this definitely felt like an Avengers film (obviously, and for reasons already detailed), but like Driver that didn't bother me at all.

As with all Marvel films not named Deadpool, Civil War sometimes felt like it was playing it a little too safe and putting in too much "helpful" exposition. There was always that maddening feeling like I'm watching something that is just so close to being a "great goddamn movie," but not quite there. But this time, man... it was also very, very close. It's rare to see a movie that is this much fun that also successfully pulls you into the emotional state of the characters. The fact I was able to really identify with and feel for these brightly colored superfreaks in their onesies and vibranium armor is just a huge credit to both the writers and performers. Brilliant!

In pondering that nagging "not quite" feeling later, I think it has mostly to do with Henry Jackman's score and cues, which were vanilla punchiness for the action and almost maudlin for the feels. Believe it or not, I actually liked the trailer music ("Sharks Don't Sleep" by Dean Valentine) better than anything in the film... also thought Alan Silvestri's score for The First Avenger was notably better, too -- though I consider Civil War the superior film.

I think I've just reached the over-saturation point with Marvel. This was very enjoyable, good action scenes, nice character interactions, well made... but it still all felt familiar. [side note: I didn't see Winter Soldier]
I liked how everything kind of clicked and came full circle in the final fifteen/twenty minutes, but for the major middle chunk of the film: the public's reasons for distrusting the Avengers never seemed 100% plausible. In a lot of ways this doesn't feel like it exists in the same universe as the first Avengers movie. The "government shutting down heroes" angle is tired. I didn't know why I was supposed to give a **** about Bucky, or Cap's obsession with him. Even when they introduced the idea of "four supersoldiers who can topple a government" it, again, triggered the 'implausible' alarm to where I wasn't interested in seeing how it would be dealt with. Every scene with Zemo, up until the final few minutes, just felt like "who is this guy and why are we watching him do this?" The only real emotional impact I felt were those final few scenes with Cap and Iron Man after they introduced the wildcard of a secret that Cap was holding back. But I think it was played too late. Too much of the film is spent without a major threat that anyone cares to see extinguished. It's just Bucky trying not be Evil Bucky, and Cap protecting good Bucky from the Avengers who want to kick Evil Bucky's ass.
And all the Avengers in-fighting (until the tail end) is good-natured-ribbing at worst. To me this felt like an extremely long epilogue to Age of Ultron, where I thought the group's motivations for in-fighting actually made more sense and carried more weight, considering the stakes.

Anyway, that being said, it's still fun and one of the better Marvel movies. :shrug: Sometimes I wish I could erase previous entries from my memory before watching the next.

Anyone else have little kids in the theater? I thought that was kind of strange considering how boring most of this movie is. And I mean that as a compliment, anything that isn't big, dumb and loud the entire time gets bonus points from me.

the public's reasons for distrusting the Avengers never seemed 100% plausible.

One thing I would have liked to have seen was more of a "man on the street" points of view from the average citizen regarding the accords. I'm sure most people were for them but it would have been nice to see differing opinions.

I didn't know why I was supposed to give a **** about Bucky, or Cap's obsession with him.

You can't completely skip watching The Winter Soldier and then make this complaint.

Was coming to say the exact same thing!

I didn't see Empire Strikes Back so whatever. Anyway, Return of the Jedi was dumb cause Luke was mad at Vader about something. Made no sense.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.