Captain America: Civil War

Darth Krawlie

To a certain degree it's okay. But it can also be a big problem. I point again to the first Captain America movie, which was nothing more than a big-budget advertisement for the first Avengers movie.

Some of it works. Tony messing up and creating Ultron was a logical progression for his character and does set up Civil War well. Winter Soldier similarly did well in setting up Captain America's distrust of big solutions. The first Thor movie was also successful in walking that line. Others are heavy-handed and grind down the movie that they're in (Thor in Ultron, Falcon in Ant-Man). It's a trade-off between the spectacular big universe and marketing said universe as a product.

We'll see if Civil War can pull it off line as well. Setting up Black Panther is their biggest hurdle on that count.

To a certain degree it's okay. But it can also be a big problem. I point again to the first Captain America movie, which was nothing more than a big-budget advertisement for the first Avengers movie.

I didn't get that from it. I mean, sure, there's the obvious subtitle but the movie itself stands on it's own pretty well.

• 1 month later...

If this movie breaks the $1 billion mark where BvS didn't, expect Zach Snyder's 12 year-old fanboys to have a temper tantrum. They are already going nuts because the movie has such good early reviews.

I'm gonna guess that it's less a matter of whether it'll go past $1 billion, but more a matter of how much it will blow past it. This thing's shaping up to be huge.

It's becoming increasingly obvious why Marvel didn't balk when Warner scheduled BVS the same weekend as Civil War. And why Warner backed down as a result of the no-sell.

In fairness, Batman v. Superman could have blown Civil War out of the water if done right.

Genuinely trying to tamp expectations here, but it's hard when I'm so excited for this story in particular and the early buzz has been so great.

I mean, literally the only negative review I've seen so far was obvious clickbait.

My only consistent criticism of MCU films has been that they are predictably quite good and entertaining, but none have reached the level of what I would call a "great film" -- which really is fine. There's nothing wrong with being a good, entertaining two hours. Will this be the first to finally reach that level? Man, I hope so...

tamp tamp tamp

He was Mr. Poopypants during the press tour and has been all but invisible until this week. Just saying it's funny timing to come and apologize as reviews begin to hit. Honestly, let him and ScarJo go and do a Black Widow movie. He'd kill that.

Honestly, let him and ScarJo go and do a Black Widow movie. He'd kill that.

Well that would never happen on the basis of it just making too much sense.

Much better to give us baffling movie choices that we never asked for... and having them be good to awesome anyway. Seriously, they're like Pixar during their Ratatouille, WALL-E, and Up run. Maybe there's a lesson there.

Even Joss Whedon is sorta admitting that this movie is going to out-Avengers Avengers.

That should not be too difficult; the Russo brothers seem to understand how to place Marvel characters in situations that do not end up feeling like a Power Rangers romp. Its no wonder their Marvel films are on a level so high that they are almost incompatible with the rest.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Maybe this is a nitpick, but given how many superheroes are in this film, why isn't this an Avengers film? It basically has everyone except Thor and the Hulk.

Maybe this is a nitpick, but given how many superheroes are in this film, why isn't this an Avengers film? It basically has everyone except Thor and the Hulk.

Because it's Cap's story. His choices drive the events. Everyone else is just a supporting player.

WHICH is what they should do for all of them. Just have them be considered Avengers movies, but rotate the leads. Kinda like an episode of the Brady Bunch-- each episode a different kid had a problem but they were all there. When you try to service everyone in one movie you get the cluster that is AOU.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I mean I am not complaining about the movie, but it seems like it's as much an Ironman movie as it is a Captain America movie.

And the last Avengers movie, it seemed like Hulk might not be back, anyway, so it's really an Avengers movie minus Thor.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Again Thor and Hulk are 2 of the core 4 man team so no its not an Avengers movie by another name. Not when HALF the core team is absent.

I get that, but the Avengers line up has changed over the years, too. What you say makes sense, but at the same time, this movie seems more like an Avengers story, than a Cap story. That's all I am saying.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.