Why Doesn't Nightly Care About Boston?

I was there for a long time. Now I'm just searching for a little peace of mind. I've told myself I had a good time and was feeling satisfied, but don't look back focusing on a man I'll never be. I didn't mean to fall in love, but there was something about you - I mean, Amanda. She was smokin', but now I'm livin' for you. Fortunately I'm used to bad news so now I'm just trying to hitch a ride to my destination.

Because they are solid and not spectacular. You really can't stretch the success of 3 albums over almost 40 years. I can't even recall a song from the other 3.

***But Guns and Roses are in the Rock And Roll hall of fame on the backs of 3 albums and an EP????***

Exactly.

GnR is really in the HoF on the back of one album and a few songs from another. They released 2 albums worth of quality material, tops.

GnR is really in the HoF on the back of one album and a few songs from another. They released 2 albums worth of quality material, tops.

I don't think I can agree with that! Their first 3 were really rockin' but they kind of lost something after Use Your Illusion.Spaghetti Incident was just blah and I have nothing good to say about Chinese Democracy. :|

Boston doesn't do much for me, but at least they're better than Guns N' Roses. I do like one part of one song a lot. Forget offhand which one. Y'know, the one that starts off with that big prog rock intro before...well, before it goes into the main part of the song and ends up sounding like all the other Boston songs.

One like for my post up there? **** you guys. That was gold.

No. No, it wasn't.

ALSO: fuck Boomers and their music! (and yes, I realize I AM one). Did ANY other generation get their music played 40 years later on the radio, on TV and all over the ****ing Universe? NO! This is probably the only time in history that 40-50 year old music dominated society and as much as I love Classic Rock, good GAWD, can we give it a rest and concentrate mostly on things produced, oh, I don't know IN THIS ****ing CENTURY?

YAY, Boston, but, like, in the privacy of my own car, AM I RITE?

Not if you're talking about Rock. Good ole fashioned Rock. There is very little of that given an ice cubes chance in hell these days. Though I do see the irony that in the 70s groups like Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, Styx, and Kansas weren't considered good ole fashioned Rock and Roll.

Well, Boston, Styx and Kansas are/were about as good as in goody-two-shoes as bands can get and that´s not very rock and roll in my book. BÖC on the other hand did some of the most spine-chilling, cheerfully evil songs ever. So I guess in that case it was the good ole fashioned part that was missing while the other three weren´t much rock and roll?

Ah, gotcha!

Little bit dark yes... I´m glad that I don´t know what a "Harvester of eyes" is but I have some nagging suspicions. The nice melodies and harmonies always made them creepier to me, celebrating the horrible stuff they wrote about instead of warning for them. Late-day classic "Harvest moon" (I gotta know if that was an intended Neil Young parody, I sure hope so) is a perfect example of a nice, clean cut, nostalgic song about child murders. Way more disturbing than some Norwegian 18 y o with his face made up like a fraking badger screaming incomprehensible stuff about entrails.

I don't think I can agree with that! Their first 3 were really rockin' but they kind of lost something after Use Your Illusion.Spaghetti Incident was just blah and I have nothing good to say about Chinese Democracy. :|

I'll definitely give you Appetite for Destruction. Not just their best, but one of the best of the decade. About half of Use Your Illusion, it would've benefited from someone telling them to cut half the songs and release it as one album.

• 2 weeks later...

ALSO: **** Boomers and their music! (and yes, I realize I AM one). Did ANY other generation get their music played 40 years later on the radio, on TV and all over the ****ing Universe? NO! This is probably the only time in history that 40-50 year old music dominated society and as much as I love Classic Rock, good GAWD, can we give it a rest and concentrate mostly on things produced, oh, I don't know IN THIS ****ing CENTURY?

The thing about boomer era music is that it resulted from a near perfect storm of culture, demographics and technology not likely to be seen again in our life times.

Technology especially enabled the production and proliferation of rock music that wasn't possible to earlier generations, yet had not been overwhelmed by technology and marketing genre formulas in the manner that pop music has been going back to the 80s. Add to that the cultural turbulances of that era and you have a recipe for superior musical works compared to some other eras. Not that all of it was good. Much of it wasn't. But artists had a creative license that they just don't have now, for a host of reasons. I don't think the issue is talent. There's a lot of talent out there. It just gets forced into over produced, genre formula in a way that a band of Boston's era would not have been.

As for Boston themselves, fairly average if you ask me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.