Vanity Fair photos and news coming this week

Mara Jade Skywalker

"Phasma" doesn't remind me of anything else, not enough to bug me. Maybe I'd complain if she were "Captain Phantasma", "Captain Fanta", or "Captain Phat".

What would be an approved name, then? "Captain Tiffany?" "Captain Hot-Lips"? "Mrs. Calrissian"? I'm at a loss on the nomenclature criteria in use here.

Also, I can't think of a single sci-fi universe where fans love it for its super awesome character naming system.

I mean...I don't get the hate. Do you guys normally stick to nonfiction or something?

Even Stephen King's real world character names ring of Stephen King names and don't always sound real. If you've read two of his books, you can spot em a mile away.

They're just names. If a character named Peeta can be accepted by the general audience, they won't bat an eye at Phasma.

Phasma is just so close to Plasma and Phaser. It's kind of a merge of the two. Phasma sounds like a type of space cannon to me, not a persons name. Like a plasma cannon, called the Phasma Mk II or something...That's mostly the annoyance for me.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Kylo Ren as a name sounds OKAY as a minor character name like a bounty hunter or something, but I agree, for a big bad, it's not very menacing. Sounds like something that was pulled out of a video game character name generator.

Plus when I hear/see Ren, I think this....

Phasma is just so close to Plasma and Phaser. It's kind of a merge of the two. Phasma sounds like a type of space cannon to me, not a persons name. Like a plasma cannon, called the Phasma Mk II or something...That's mostly the annoyance for me.

Captain Phasma almost sounds like the name of a sex toy.

All jokes aside, if the characters are awesome, I won't even care about the names.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.