Why Doesn't Nightly Care About the Fight of the Century?

Pong Messiah

Because this fight would have mattered way, like, WAY, more 5 years ago.

I mean I'm still throwing down money for it, but still.

Mayweather is going to wreck Pacqiauo I have a feeling, which is unfortunate because Mayweather is one of the worst pieces of shit in sports.

Because this fight would have mattered way, like, WAY, more 5 years ago.

I mean I'm still throwing down money for it, but still.

Mayweather is going to wreck Pacqiauo I have a feeling, which is unfortunate because Mayweather is one of the worst pieces of **** in sports.

Yup, agreed on all counts.

Smart money on Mayweather, but nobody wants him to win. Mayweather's own mom is probably rooting for Pacquiao.

I can't believe boxing is legal. I cannot believe that people PAY people to beat each other. I can't believe people WATCH each other beat each other. I can't believe people PAY to WATCH people beat each other.

Dog fighting is looked down on. Assault is illegal. Boxing is a sport. THIS IS NOT LOGICAL.

Haha. SD just owned MG.

:pimp:

I can't believe boxing is legal. I cannot believe that people PAY people to beat each other. I can't believe people WATCH each other beat each other. I can't believe people PAY to WATCH people beat each other.

Dog fighting is looked down on. Assault is illegal. Boxing is a sport. THIS IS NOT LOGICAL.

You can't believe it, yet this fight is making more money than all previous prize-fights in history combined or something equally as ridiculous. Wheeeee!

Speaking of logic and the consensual beating on one another and brain damage, MG, how do you feel about football?

:eek:

I want mayweather simply BECAUSE no one wants him to win. I know some people who LOVE pacquiao/hate mayweather. It'll be hilarious to see how mad they get.

Normally with you on that, but can't on this one.

Pacquiao isn't exactly Boxing Jesus (even if he's become super religious in the last few years), but Mayweather is one of the few (perhaps the only) great professional athletes who deserves all the hatred he receives. I mean, come on -- the dude makes Ray Rice look like Ghandi. I love to see people's hopes and dreams deflated, but in this case, I'd much, much prefer to see Mayweather not reach 50-0.

I'll take your word on it, pong. Literally all I know about Floyd is his participation at wrestlemania 24. They initially tried to book him as a face but he was clearly a natural heel. He performed well, better than celebrities usually do in the wrestling world.

I ended up not having time to do it, but all week long I wanted to start a thread asking if people really cared about boxing. It never gets talked about here, until now, it seems. I never heard about boxing on sports talk radio until this past week. In every day life, I've never had a friend who payed attention to it. I've never know of any co-workers to do so, either, until recently. There are a few people at my job that mentioned they were going to watch this fight. Of those people, only one actually follows the sport in any way - making him, as far as I know, the first actual "boxing fan" I've known...ever.

I ended up not having time to do it, but all week long I wanted to start a thread asking if people really cared about boxing. It never gets talked about here, until now, it seems. I never heard about boxing on sports talk radio until this past week. In every day life, I've never had a friend who payed attention to it. I've never know of any co-workers to do so, either, until recently. There are a few people at my job that mentioned they were going to watch this fight. Of those people, only one actually follows the sport in any way - making him, as far as I know, the first actual "boxing fan" I've known...ever.

That's because boxing sucks right now. Just way too little real talent (and what real talent there is is not very charismatic), and way too many weight classes and titles. It's simply not worth following or being a fan of.

The fact that people are getting SO pumped up over a fight that should have happened years ago really speaks to the lack of compelling talent and competition in the sport right now.

In the late 1970s through mid 1980s, it seemed like every week another classic non-heavyweight bout. If you liked sports at all, you couldn't help but follow it, because the competition was so ferocious and at such a high level, but it's been in a steady decline since then.

I want mayweather simply BECAUSE no one wants him to win. I know some people who LOVE pacquiao/hate mayweather. It'll be hilarious to see how mad they get.

It was a wonderful fight--not only because Money outclassed Pacquiao (who is a very nice guy in public), but the victory rubbed, then stomped permanent acid in the ever-open woulds of professional (and questionable) Mayweather haters Skip Bayless and the what-is-her-job-again? Michelle Beadle.

I will not be surprised if either will be be quick to say one or more of the following: "boxing is dead" / "Mayweather winning hurts the sport" / "what message does this send" / " don't care" (when they could not shut up about it since the parties reached an agreement) / whatever.

Mayweather's domestic violence problems were not swept away (unless one believes spending even a second in jail is sweeping away anything), but that is conveniently ignored.

Haha. SD just owned MG.

You can't believe it, yet this fight is making more money than all previous prize-fights in history combined or something equally as ridiculous. Wheeeee!

Speaking of logic and the consensual beating on one another and brain damage, MG, how do you feel about football?

I know that consent makes the difference. I don't advocate that we illegalize boxing-but funny you mention football because with all the changes in the NFL already made and to come-they're clearly focusing on injury, yet in boxing, that's the goal.

Haha. SD just owned MG.

I know that consent makes the difference. I don't advocate that we illegalize boxing-but funny you mention football because with all the changes in the NFL already made and to come-they're clearly focusing on injury, yet in boxing, that's the goal.

Haha. SD just owned MG.

....because in a technical sense, trying to cause harm is not part of the goal in football. That is more of a football cultural development over the sport's life, than anything you will ever find in a rulebook, so it is expected to see complaints and action taken against excessive force, outright violence and the concussion matter.

Boxing is all about beating the crap out of the opponent, so that's one reason there's been no universal outcry to change the sport (ex. head gear as used in training), since violence / injury is an inherent part of the sport--even in the wake of brain damaged fighters, or those who died as a result of injuries in the ring.

Title fights were reduced from 15 to 12 rounds more than a quarter century ago 'cause exhausted, sloppy boxing leads to lowered hands and more wild shots to the head. So they changed it. To prevent injury, basically. Where was your precious NFL then? Giving their players steroid-laced beef jerkey and throwing concussion parties no doubt.

Once again, your argument is invalid.

So my roommate tried to tell me last night that this was an MMA fight. I was like... whaaaa? I keep hearing people compare Mayweather to Ali and Tyson, why would they do dat? He persisted that he was correct so I was like whatevs and then I left.

I like it when I'm right.

Also boxing is hella boring- but women's boxing can get downright mean! I'll watch that!

Also boxing is hella boring- but women's boxing can get downright mean! I'll watch that!

I'd rephrase that as "boxing is currently hella boring - but women's boxing can get downright mean!"

The last match I remember that was at all exciting to me was in when Michael Moorer, on his way to an easy victory, somehow forgot months of explicit instructions not to stand directly in front of the George Foreman and got punched in the face so hard his mouthpiece broke. My cynical uncle immediately chimed in with "And there's the fix. Goodnight folks!" got up, and left the room. He had a special way of sucking the fun out of any celebratory moment.

But that fight was pretty boring up until that point, really; it was a lot more interesting in retrospect when you find out about all the mind games Foreman played with the media and Moorer, who may have been something of a headcase already... and when you watch it again with the knowledge that Foreman was letting himself get hit with jabs for a full 10 rounds, sneakily setting Moorer up for that sledgehammer right hand. And furthermore, more importantly, THIS WAS 21 FREAKING YEARS AGO! That's right, by my count, it's been more than two decades since there's been a remotely compelling matchup that transcended the sport.

But the heavyweight division in the 1970s was absolutely insane -- definitely not hella boring -- and then you had the even better group of Duran, Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, Mugabi, etc. in the lower weights immediately after.

Title fights were reduced from 15 to 12 rounds more than a quarter century ago 'cause exhausted, sloppy boxing leads to lowered hands and more wild shots to the head. So they changed it. To prevent injury, basically. Where was your precious NFL then? Giving their players steroid-laced beef jerkey and throwing concussion parties no doubt.

Once again, your argument is invalid.

fuck you, you nazi, I'm not arguing. I'm just a little surprised that boxing is legal, because as Shadowkitten and I have both pointed out, the POINT of the 'sport' is to just besat the crap out of another person. The NFL is trying to prevent this from happening in the course of a football game-so I must conclude by that, that at least this one arm of professional sports believes that beating the crap out of another person is not good. Yet we have a sport that is nothing BUT the bad part. This makes sense to you??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.