2015 NFL Season

Darth Lohr

Not that I agree - but - I'm surprised there are so many vehement supporters of either guy. Like if you want to fire one based on what you've seen, why not the other as well?

Bottom line is that Luck has been dogshit the first two weeks. That's the formula. If he plays ANY better they come away with a win last night. If he plays the way he did last year in week 1, they probably win.

A shitty line is not an excuse. He's had a shitty line his entire career. Manning had a shitty line from 2006 to 2010 in Indianapolis. Brady has had some bad lines sprinkled in his career. Rodgers too. MVP quaterbacks get it done regardless. Luck isn't at that level yet.

I've been one of the biggest Kool Aid drinkers of this coach and GM from day one. You know that. Hell I staunchly supported the Richardson thing to insane levels. I was probably the last to leave that boat.

But the bottom line is their only home run draft was 2012 and its hard to fuck up when you're picking 1 or 2 every round. Most of the GM's free agent moves have sucked except for letting Garcon go and keeping Wayne and the only trade he nailed was Vonte Davis.

Even if Luck was playing spectacular I'd feel this way. For 3 years now their offensive and defensive lines have sucked ass and look no better this year. Meanwhile the coaching in general and on ofense specifically have been medicore at best.

I've had it. Its time to clean house.

I think the Colts were too concerned about replacing Peyton Manning than they were about the team as a whole. It's one thing for fans and espn talking heads to ramble on and on about how football begins and ends with the QB position, but I find it strange when owners and GMs buy into it as well.

Even in today's pass happy NFL it comes down to the trenches, O line vs D line. If you ignore that, you will lose.

I don't know if I'd say Romo has played exceptionally well. Maybe better than given credit for, or better than you'd think.I mean considering how important the QB position is, you'd think someone playing exceptionally well would be able to win consecutive games at some point.

He has played very well in a couple playoff games. Mainly last year. Outside of that he played kind "ehhh" against Seattle in 06. Played poorly against the Giants in 07. In 09 he played well against the Eagles. The game against the Vikings that year the team was overmatched. Romo didn't play well, but he didn't have a chance so you kinda throw it out.

He played well in both games last year. Can't take it away from him.

Still, I wouldn't call his overall playoff performance exceptional. As I said he's never won more than a single playoff game in a year. He's never won a road playoff game. His 2 playoff wins were both home games in the wild card round, where Dallas was favored. He's never gone in and beaten a better team by lifting his own team with his play over said better team.

I don't know if I'd say Romo has played exceptionally well. Maybe better than given credit for, or better than you'd think.I mean considering how important the QB position is, you'd think someone playing exceptionally well would be able to win consecutive games at some point.

He has played very well in a couple playoff games. Mainly last year. Outside of that he played kind "ehhh" against Seattle in 06. Played poorly against the Giants in 07. In 09 he played well against the Eagles. The game against the Vikings that year the team was overmatched. Romo didn't play well, but he didn't have a chance so you kinda throw it out.

He played well in both games last year. Can't take it away from him.

Still, I wouldn't call his overall playoff performance exceptional. As I said he's never won more than a single playoff game in a year. He's never won a road playoff game. His 2 playoff wins were both home games in the wild card round, where Dallas was favored. He's never gone in and beaten a better team by lifting his own team with his play over said better team.

Sorry, I can't respond to this until you edit to reflect a viewpoint that isn't QB WINZZZZZ.

Romo has been exceptional in the playoffs. 3 terrific games (PHI, DET, @ GB), one good game (@ SEA) one average game (NYG, wherein he was driving for a win and had to try to make something happen on 4th down and was intercepted) and 1 below average game (@ MIN, in which his entire team looked outmatch from the get-go).

If you don't think that's exceptional then I suggest you reevaluate the standards by which you judge quarterback play in the postseason. That is very much above average and there are only a handful of guys you can say have the same or better ratio of great:good:bad games.

I don't subscribe to the theory that QBs should be automatically blamed for their playoff records.

I will say this though, the "exceptional" QBs will have that playoff game or games where they snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Andrew Luck against the Chiefs. Manning against Pats. Brady twice in the Super Bowl. Eli twice in the Super Bowl. Montana in the Super Bowl and in The Catch game. Etc, etc. Yes in all those games other players had to make plays, obviously. But in each case there were critical moments where exceptional decisions had to be made and executed flawlessly by the QB and they were. Other QBs haven't had those signature moments or never did. You know what I mean, it's hard to quantify but you know it when you see it.

So I'm not saying Romo sucks by any means, or that he's been bad in the playoffs, I just don't think he's yet had the playoff game we can all point to and say "Holy Shit" yet. Maybe this year.

Yes, above average. Not exceptional. Exceptional would be like one of the 2 or 3 best in the league. He's simply not that.

I mean 2 of his 3 real good games were at home in the wild card round. You don't make your career winning wild card games, or playing well in Wild Card games. Maybe its not his fault, maybe it's not fair. Life ain't fair. At some point he has to do better than playing well and winning Wild Card games at home and playing well and losing divisional games on the road.

Fact is that in his career he's basically done as expected in the playoffs. He's won at home against inferior teams, other than 07 against the Giants and he's lost against better teams. And he played badly in that Giants game, completing only 50% of his passes. That's not average, thats poor.

And the ratio of great to good to bad games doesn't matter. You can play awful in 10 playoff games, but if you play well in 3 or 4 consecutive ones during the same year that is what matters. Maybe he could/would have done that last year. I agree the catch rule in the NFL is terrible, but it is the rule. The call was correct. Maybe Romo deserved the chance to go into Seattle last year. Probably did. But it's not like that was his only chance, he's been in the league a long time.

And the ratio of great to good to bad games doesn't matter. You can play awful in 10 playoff games, but if you play well in 3 or 4 consecutive ones during the same year that is what matters.

And here's the crux of it (RINGGGZZZZZZ). This is hopelessly incorrect, but to each their own.

Yes, I mean who would ever judge players on how they've helped their team reach the actual objective of playing the game.

You are right though, you can't judge a player just based on that. That's not what I'm doing. Dan Marino was a better player than Jim Plunkett. But I know the difference between a player who has played truly great and lost to a better team and a player who hasn't. I didn't leave that Dallas-Green Bay thinking "wow, Romo played heroically well in that game. There was simply no way he could have played better. He was heroic in that loss." That does happen sometimes, and although Romo certainly played well in the game he didn't play well to that extent. Now Dallas didn't put the game on him, only had him make 19 throws. I get that, when a player is only allowed to throw it 19 times it's hard to think they played an amazing game.

But in Dallas playoff losses I've never felt that Romo was so exceptional in those games that there was nothing more he could have done. We've seen that in all sports, where a lesser player/team just does everything they can do and it's just not enough due to how good the opponent is.

Like I said, I didn't think Romo played well to that extent in that game. Maybe you think he did. If he had done that, I wouldn't hold it against him. Hell, im the one who said to just throw out the game against the Vikes cause there was nothing any QB could have done in that one. So I get that the QB can't always control his teams fate.

If you feel that in these games Romo has played so well that there was nothing he could have possibly done more to win them, thats fine. It's just a difference of evaluating a couple of football games. But that is what Romo needs to do, he needs to either win or play so well in a loss that it's heroic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.